PackardGoose.com Forums

The Music of Geoff Pointer

polydigm - 10-4-2011 at 16:02

My web site has had a new structure for some time now.
It has the same domain name, but is now divided into three sub domains.
Music, Education and Blog.
The music and education sub domains are up and running, but the blog
is still waiting for me to find the time to work out how to run a blog properly.

A link to my music subdomain is in my signature.

Any comments appreciated.

[Previous edit on 22-2-13 by polydigm]
[Last edit on 08-10-22 by polydigm, it was way out of date]

polydigm - 14-5-2011 at 03:47

:forumsmiley145:

A lead balloon comes to mind.

Pedro3 - 14-5-2011 at 15:29

Nice Stuff :forumsmiley151:

polydigm - 15-5-2011 at 02:40

I think about what FZ said about not being bothered whether people liked his music or not. It's an untestable postulate because a lot of people did and do like his music, so he didn't have to experience what it would be like with no-one liking it and really couldn't have known how that would feel. I'm sure if no-one at all had been interested he would have ended up doing something else with his life.

Anyway, Pedro, thanks for the feedback.

polydigm - 23-5-2012 at 01:11

I'm still working hard at the guitar. Here's another three of my compositions.

Turbulator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jRdWZViOtc
More Than It Seems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIrpT9c6WFg
Flea Bites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFGqbGDJjBk

BBP - 23-5-2012 at 09:36

Nice! And it's great to see you moving!:bald:
Is that some special effect you used on Turbulator? It sounds cool!

polydigm - 4-6-2012 at 09:22

I went out and bought a practice amp a couple of months ago because the only amp I had then was a 100 Watt Fender which is great but is almost useless for practice. That inspired me to practice more than usual and hence a few more videos resulted. The new amp is a Roland Cube 40 XL. Turbulator was played on it using only a little chorus, reverb and some gain called "Tweed". Thanks for your feedback.

I videoed three FZ covers at the time as well, Uncle Meat, King Kong and Zoot Allures which are also on YouTube.

polydigm - 3-11-2012 at 23:46

I see that I've got my first thumbs down on YouTube for my Zoot Allures rendition. I believe that anonymous thumbs downs should not be allowed. This would then at least prevent attacks of spite. It was probably Dweezil. :D

BBP - 4-11-2012 at 14:04

:) You know you can edit that in your video options? Under the header "video rating"?

punknaynowned - 6-11-2012 at 03:42

Ah! I'm surprised I haven't commented already.
I favorited the little house but didn't realize you'd added to it.
I'm impressed with all of those clips.
Uncle Meat in particular there's a lot of notes you nail in that - I dunno how you do that :freak:
on zoot allures there are aspects of franks style you bring to the middle section that surprises and still show off your improv abilities - even for someone who obsesses on frank's style and approach - well done!

[Edited on 6-11-12 by punknaynowned]

polydigm - 7-11-2012 at 00:19

Ah, Ned, that's making my day. Cheers.

polydigm - 14-11-2012 at 08:49

Okay, I've posted one of my vocal numbers on YouTube.

The Status Quo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwuRWoxC6E

BBP - 15-11-2012 at 00:00

Try to start earlier with the vocals. It's got a lot of potential!

polydigm - 15-11-2012 at 08:26

I'm not saying that after composing music for nearly 40 years I have nothing left to learn, but I think I've found my voice. I believe I'm original and I have no intention of sacrificing that.
Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Try to start earlier with the vocals.
Why? If I know why, it might give me more reason to do it the way I do.
Quote:
It's got a lot of potential!
Potential for what? I'm not interested in the charts, I'm not interested in popularity. People can like it or not. I want to tailor my audience to me, however small that may end up being - I have no interest in tailoring myself to an audience.

My question is: Do you like it? If not, that's bad luck for me and for you, but not a reason for me to change the way I compose.

Sound familiar in any way?

BBP - 15-11-2012 at 13:02

Calm down, Poly.
There is not much variation in how you play the guitar: no melody or anything, just chords. It makes it hard to listen up to the point where you start to sing.
It's very difficult to sing with a guitar in front of your belly: FZ couldn't. All the same I would invest some time in developing the proper breathing techniques for singing: this will vastly improve your sound, will make singing easier for you, less painful and tiring etc. Singing is essentially a breathing technique.

I like the chord variation of the song, and it has potential, by which I mean that when execution is 100% you will get a very enjoyable track. Hit songs are unpredictable, and so is popularity, but like a good drawing, a good song will still need good execution.

polydigm - 15-11-2012 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Calm down, Poly.
This is a text problem. I was perfectly calm while writing that. I can be very blunt while remaining perfectly calm.
Quote:
There is not much variation in how you play the guitar: no melody or anything, just chords. It makes it hard to listen up to the point where you start to sing.
Most of the criticism I've received in the past relates to overcomplicating stuff. Why do I want so many chords? ... etc ... In the context of this video, it's just my voice and the acoustic guitar with no overdubs, so, even though I'm having fun playing that intro, I can see how you might get bored.
Quote:
It's very difficult to sing with a guitar in front of your belly: FZ couldn't. All the same I would invest some time in developing the proper breathing techniques for singing: this will vastly improve your sound, will make singing easier for you, less painful and tiring etc. Singing is essentially a breathing technique.
I'm no singer, that's for sure, and I have a diminished lung capacity, but I don't have the luxury of employing one currently. So unless I wait until I do, this is the only way I have of communicating my compositions live at the moment.
Quote:
I like the chord variation of the song, and it has potential, by which I mean that when execution is 100% you will get a very enjoyable track. Hit songs are unpredictable, and so is popularity, but like a good drawing, a good song will still need good execution.
The crux of the biscuit. I have no illusions that it was a full, professionally polished performance.

My aim is to get a band together and rehearse their arses off, along with my own. In the mean time, if I can secure a couple of solo gigs, then I will invest the time to polish my presentation in the voice/guitar medium. In the mean time I have to find people who are interested and I'm hoping that the ones I would like to meet will see what I'm getting at. So, for instance, I'm sure you don't need to see any more polish and have seen enough to be able to decide whether or not you'd be interested in playing this kind of music?

I'm glad that you like the chord variation of the song and I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment in detail.

BBP - 15-11-2012 at 20:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYqXCKvjY-k

polydigm - 18-11-2012 at 00:09

"Discipline, you need discipline!!"

Some time ago, in Sydney, when all three of my children were still at home, I had a couple of lessons with my daughter's singing teacher but then a whole bunch of personal stuff came flooding in and put a stop to that. I never got back to it and now I'm chasing a PhD in Mathematics. I keep intending to at least get a book on the subject of singing and the other day, ironically, I was trying to do some stuff with my diaphragm.

That guy's videos are basically a tease, he talks it up without really saying that much and ultimately he's trying to sell the videos on his web site. I'm certainly not giving him my email address. In the end, you only end up getting what you pay for.

I posted a similar post to this here on Friday - I don't understand why it vanished.

BBP - 18-11-2012 at 13:12

I've just bought a book on all this. Basically it's on how to speak, but it also has chapters on singing and hyperventilation and other speaking issues. It explains how the right posture and diaphragm breathing are important and gives lots of exercises I'm intended to do someday, since my sore throat problem.

polydigm - 22-2-2013 at 01:38

I have two distinct reasons to visit this thread today so I'll keep them separate.

Firstly I'll attend to Bonnie's point above. I've been trying that breathing with the diaphragm thing and really does make a big difference. I'm finding I can sing longer phrases now without losing breath. It's also kind of anti-intuitive, in a way, that the deeper breaths help the high notes just as much as the low notes. Thanks for the tip Bonny. I realise it's not rocket science but you said it to me just at the moment I was best able to understand and make use of it.

polydigm - 22-2-2013 at 02:05

This post was totally out of date.

I've updated the first post in this thread and a link to my music web site is in my signature below.

[Up to date as of 8-10-22]

polydigm - 8-10-2022 at 01:38

@Bonny: Re the singing thing: Some time after the discussion we had about singing here, about four years ago, I took up regular swimming and that has worked wonders with my breathing. Plus having played Bari sax for four years now, the breath control it requires has also worked wonders with my breathing. I still have a pretty crap singing voice, but with significant input from both those pursuits, I now have much better control over intonation and phrasing with my singing.

polydigm - 19-10-2022 at 23:01

I've just put up a new Turbulator video on YouTube.

polydigm - 10-11-2022 at 15:31

I've just put up another Zappa cover on YouTube

BBP - 10-11-2022 at 22:13

Love it! Love the chickens as well but I'm not good with 1st person movement camera :/

polydigm - 11-11-2022 at 16:07

Thanks Bonny. Yeah, I don't handle first person camera too well myself, but that combination of going around in a circle, speeding up and some reversing just seemed to fit with the frenetic nature of the piece.

Eddie RUKidding - 11-11-2022 at 22:19

Complete with grout at the end, great rendition

polydigm - 12-11-2022 at 14:33

Thanks Eddie. Grout?

Eddie RUKidding - 12-11-2022 at 23:56

The sounds at the end of the piece- like the Grout Zappa sometimes used b/n his tracks eg SUAPYG & Läther etc

polydigm - 13-11-2022 at 05:01

I'm a fan of musique concrète. Two of my other FZ covers have significant pieces of it as part of their arrangements. That sound ending Duodenum, as a kind of cadence, I'm really happy how it turned out. A lot of people don't listen to YouTube videos until the end, so I wondered how many people would notice. I really appreciate you taking the trouble and commenting.

polydigm - 23-2-2023 at 06:55

Time for another Turbulator track.

Eddie RUKidding - 4-3-2023 at 23:04

Nice - reminded me of the first Ariel Album "Strange Fantastic Dream but could be Chickens :freak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzrUJ_zCzQ

polydigm - 5-3-2023 at 00:20

Cheers Eddie.

Quite by surprise, when I posted my cover of Duodenum, with that frenetic chicken video that I thought matched the music, I got a lot more views than I normally do. A significant number of chicken enthusiasts were checking it out. So, I thought I'd do another chicken movie with this one and something similar is happening again.

Yeah, I used to listen to Ariel and I remember that album. Not forgetting Spectrum and the Indelible Murtceps as well.

Eddie RUKidding - 5-3-2023 at 04:26

Yeah- Spectrum / Indelible Murtceps were the Aussie prog scene in the early 70's, I think Tim Gaze coming along into Ariel gave the music something extra, at least for that one album anyway.