PackardGoose.com Forums

ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA STORIES

BBP - 15-5-2006 at 22:37

Hey guys,
As I'm listening to the tape playing Too Many Puppies in the Internet zone at HMH, I'm telling you all I can this quickly about ZPZ

Playlist:
Help I'm A Rock
Hungry Freaks Daddy
Let's make the water turn black
Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twilight
Idiot Bastard Son
Cheepniz
?
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
St Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast
Vivien O'Blivion
Inca Roads
I'm So Cute
Trying to Grow A Chin
City Of Tiny Lights
Punky's Whips
Black Page pt 1 and 2
Peaches en Regalia\
Montana
Village Of The Sun
Edchina's Arf of you
Zomby Woof
Sofa # 2
Encore:
Camarillo Brillo
Son of Orange County
Trouble Every Day

Highlights:
Vai's soloing on Zomby Woof and Trouble
Terry Bozzio/Travers drum duet on SOOC
Peaches en Regalia
Dweezil sobbing before and after playing Sofa
Terry's singing on ISC, TTGAC, Punky
Aaron's soloing on ?

At one point during the show, some guy tossed a CD at Dweezil. It hit his guitar and shattered.
Dweezil asked him "Go away". "I'm not going to listen to that CD" "You did it to yourself, go away".
"You see that's not a good way of getting me a CD"

Noticing: "Hey, it's one of MY CD's!"

Dweezil also told us he used to fall asleep on the padding of FZ's PA system whenever FZ played Peaches

Lowlights:
Sheila Gonzales's solo on the one song I failed to recognise
The show finishing

During the soundcheck, well, it wasn't much of a soundcheck, more of a private concert. As I walked in, the band played Edchina's Arf.

Part 2: at my sister's:
It's now quarter to 1 local time.
VIP: 60 people, divided in an orange group and a purple group, one would sit on the left side, one on the right side of the stage. I was purple.
About three of the VIPs would fall under DZ's definition of "kids", the rest was pretty much in their 50s.
Soundcheck: after the band finished Arf, DZ turned to us, asked if we had won a contest. "No we have paid for it!" some guy said. "Good," replied DZ, "we hope this will be worth your investment."
After some songs, DZ explained why the tour was delayed: "There were these things, you see".
Soundcheck playlist:
Edchina's Arf
Black page 1 and 2 (with TB and SV)
Eat That Question (with TB and SV who played a nice solo)
St Alphonso' s Pancake Breakfast / VoB
and, especially for us, they hadn't played it for some time: Imaginary Diseases.
Pretty cool!
Then we were asked to stand in line for the Meet and Greet. This was advvertised as a meeting with the band, but only Dweezil was doing that, and there were 60 people queueing...
I was third in line. The people before me had a nice chat, but the tour operator or something wstarted rushging and hurrying the line, so the discussion:
-May I have your signature? (hand him my Monet d agenda and Dexter's Laboratory ballpoint)
-I have my own pen right here. (shows big black fibre pen)
(DZ puts his sig in my agenda)
BP:Thank you!
-Thanks for coming!
And then I was sent away, without the opportunity of asking him when his next album was due.
Then I met Sebastiaan and talked some to him.
I went to the box seat on the right side of the hall, where bites were served and drinks were free.I sat in the far corner, a bit down, and grabbed my Tolstoy book which I had brought. A nice guy came sitting next to me, we got chatting. The hall filled. I missed the meeting with the Zappa forumers, and when I remembered, it was 10 to 8. I went down to the hall, which was crowded, and having put on my FZ shirt, I was unrecognisable. Sorry Puptent!
On going back, I took a free drink, and completely forgot my no-chocolate diet; and took a hot chocolate. I didn't realize until I was sitting down and taking sips.

Luckily, the show made it up. It was superb!

[Edited on 15-5-06 by BBP]

DED - 16-5-2006 at 07:17

I hope you enjoyed yourself, although you had a very short meet and greet.
Since I can read this review I understand you survived Amsterdam and found your way back to ZAZzies appartment. Is it as clean as she said?

Pappawas1975 - 16-5-2006 at 08:54

Great in depth review BB, nice one.....makes the anticipation of London on the 2nd all the more anticipating........What a set list.....

BBP - 16-5-2006 at 18:16

Actually, DZ said "Please leave" to the CD guy. Also, according to a friend of mine, it was not DZ but Steve Vai who said "That's one of my CD's!"

Soundcheck photos:

Steve Vai at VIP concert

Dweezil at VIP concert

Dweezil at meet n greet.

I made quite a lot of photos, but since they all look alike, I've only scanned these.

scallopino - 17-5-2006 at 07:24

Sounds just amazing BBP. I wish they would come to Melbourne. Or i wish melbourne would go to the ZpZ.

BBP - 17-5-2006 at 11:16

I'm thinking of going to them again in Brussels. Brussels has very cheap tickets.
Scallop: if you want to come, you can stay over at our place.

Still available:
First class at 50 E
Second at 46 E
Third at 42
Fourth at 38

The tickets at 34 are all sold out.

aquagoat - 17-5-2006 at 12:57

Great review, BBP, makes me want to see them, I'll ave to check if they play in France and where.

Pappawas1975 - 17-5-2006 at 17:05

Aquabot - Monday June 5th, Paris, Zenith.....Not sure if theres any good seats left though mate, youve left it a little late, but worth going if you can get there no doubt!!Or, there is a Belgian date, if thats closer to you, on May 30th, at Forest National......

[Edited on 17-5-2006 by Gojira1975]

BBP - 17-5-2006 at 18:35

The setting is called Vorst Nationaal...

aquagoat - 17-5-2006 at 18:53

I'll try to go to the Zenith date.

Pappawas1975 - 17-5-2006 at 19:16

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
The setting is called Vorst Nationaal...

It said "forest" on the dates page, sorry!!

BBP - 17-5-2006 at 19:27

Apparently the hall has 2 names: Vorst Nationaal and Forest National. Interestingly, Vorst translates to frost or king, but not to forest. The dutch word for forest is bos.
http://www.vorstnationaal.be/

scallopino - 18-5-2006 at 09:14

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
I'm thinking of going to them again in Brussels. Brussels has very cheap tickets.
Scallop: if you want to come, you can stay over at our place.

Ha! Thanks for the offer! But i'm afraid i'll be moored to the motherland for a while yet. Not that that's a bad thing.

In the meantime i'll just have to sap all i can from everybody's reviews.

Puptent - 19-5-2006 at 13:42

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Apparently the hall has 2 names: Vorst Nationaal and Forest National. Interestingly, Vorst translates to frost or king, but not to forest. The dutch word for forest is bos.
http://www.vorstnationaal.be/

Forest is the French (Waalse) name for 'Vorst', it's a "municipality located in the Brussels-Capital Region of Belgium", according to the Wikipedia. I don't think it has much to do with the English word 'forest'.

Anyway, the concert rocked, you really should go and see it if you can.

[Edited on 19-5-2006 by Puptent]

BBP - 20-5-2006 at 11:12

Ah, thank you Pup! Good to see you here again btw!

BBP - 20-5-2006 at 11:16

Has anyone of you found any reviews? I read those in NRC and Volkskrant: NRC was very positive and even had a picture of The Dweez on front, but Volkskrant was focusing on the lack of humour in the show (and claimed there weren't any young people in the audience, which made me feel old).

DED - 21-5-2006 at 20:49

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Actually, DZ said "Please leave" to the CD guy. Also, according to a friend of mine, it was not DZ but Steve Vai who said "That's one of my CD's!"

Soundcheck photos:

I made quite a lot of photos, but since they all look alike, I've only scanned these.

More pictures (76) made by bbp in the album seection of the site.
added may 21

aquagoat - 29-5-2006 at 20:02

Well, impossible for me to go to the Paris show, I'm very :crying::crying::crying::crying:

BBP - 29-5-2006 at 22:11

Oh poor dear! There's still someone who got a 50E tick for the Brussels show tomorrow, he's on the Zappa forum...
We got some more ZPZ Amsterdam pictures, some of them look really good! They'll be online soon!

DED - 30-5-2006 at 10:17

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Oh poor dear! There's still someone who got a 50E tick for the Brussels show tomorrow, he's on the Zappa forum...
We got some more ZPZ Amsterdam pictures, some of them look really good! They'll be online soon!

Done, pictures are made by Dirk Spaanderman and are of good quality. In fact they are the best so far.

BBP - 30-5-2006 at 14:03

The best ones are on the ZPZ blog:
http://www.zappa.com/zpz/index.htm

aquagoat - 30-5-2006 at 18:27

Link doesn't work, dear.

DED - 30-5-2006 at 19:29

oh, boy,
And she has left for Brussels, In fact the're playing now.

aquagoat - 30-5-2006 at 19:48

Quote:
Originally posted by DED
oh, boy,
And she has left for Brussels, In fact the're playing now.

:crying::crying:And I'm here in front of my computer.:crying::crying:

:D

DED - 30-5-2006 at 23:29

Firts pictures of Brussels are added in the album (mainpage)
It is all screenprints of the Belgian Late News
Bbp was on Telly tonight , yes she was.

BBP - 31-5-2006 at 13:56

Sorry about the broken link.
Try this one: http://www.zappa.com/zpz/tourlog/index.php

Last night's show was amazing! The sound quality and acoustics were poor, but in spite of a black finger Dweezil played some beautiful solos, and even did some dancing! Terry was sweating at it again, but his vocals could not be heard very well, sadly. Vai was ripping again, so were Pete, Aaron and that awesome percussionist whose name I always forget.

Here's a TV dumpling we made of the guy I was travelling with (who let his moustache grow for the occasion, and was a total Zappa freak) and me in the green coat behind it. Real cool: me in the same 2 minutes of news item as DZ...

Also, after the concert, a crowd packed in front of the stage in order to get a signature of, or shake hands with the Dweez. I joined them, and got squashed, but got a good look at DZ, discovered his eyes are grey, and got another signature. I asked him: "When is your next album out?" and he replied "The next album is out in about 2 weeks actually, it's called "Go with what you know"." Sweeeet!

aquagoat - 31-5-2006 at 18:35

I'm envious of you Bonny.

[Edited on 2-6-2006 by aquabot]

Pappawas1975 - 1-6-2006 at 10:29

Cool BB, nice one.......London tomorrow, so hopefully Ill have a few tales to tell also. One thing I am sure of though, there will be beer.....( and hopefully titties too! )

BBP - 1-6-2006 at 17:13

Well, Sheila Gonzales will be there, so there'll be titties... I'm not too enthusiastic about her though, her Amsterdam solo sucked.

Wish I could be there...

DED - 1-6-2006 at 19:06

As I understand Terry Bozzio will play in Haarlem (NL) during the London ZPZ concert. Strange......

BBP - 1-6-2006 at 20:35

Yep DED, it's true... TB won't be playing in some of the shows, in Ireland and UK he won't be there. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed his performance, it made a change from Napi's singing (which starts to get boring at one point) and his voice is still as funny as it is on Punky's Whips in ZINY and on the Sheik Yerbouti tracks.
Noticed he wasn't wearing his reading glasses during the show yesterday...

scallopino - 2-6-2006 at 03:43

This really is an exciting thread! Congratulations for getting your mug on the TV, bbp!

scallopino - 2-6-2006 at 03:49

Who is replacing Terry in his absence?

BBP - 2-6-2006 at 08:08

Nobody. But Joe Travers is a very good drummer as well, so... I'm sure it'll be a great show!

Puptent - 2-6-2006 at 13:10

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Yep DED, it's true... TB won't be playing in some of the shows, in Ireland and UK he won't be there. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed his performance, it made a change from Napi's singing (which starts to get boring at one point) and his voice is still as funny as it is on Punky's Whips in ZINY and on the Sheik Yerbouti tracks.
Noticed he wasn't wearing his reading glasses during the show yesterday...

I really liked Punky and the Black Page at the Amsterdam show. The other Terry tunes were never some of my favorites, although it was cool to see them performed live. Terry does add a lot of energy to the show, though. Joe Travers is also an excellent drummer, but he plays more 'controlled'.

I'm sure the show is great even without TB.

BBP - 3-6-2006 at 10:35

Trying to Grow a Chin was my fave Zappa track on Sheik Yerbouti for quite some time, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear that. And it was good to hear City of Tiny Lights, another one of my favourites.
My Brussels pics won't be ready till Tuesday, bummer. There's not too much interesting stuff on it though, I ran out of film just before I discovered DZ had a signing session.

But, Gojira, how was it?

Pappawas1975 - 3-6-2006 at 12:55

It was great man! Ok, so no Terry, but the show was great nonetheless. Peaches En Regalia and Louie Louie played on the Albert Hall pipe organ was a great touch!
They opened with Imaginary Diseases, and I think the selection of songs were more or less the same as previous nights, but I wasnt making a list or anything, just enjoyed the show....
All the musicians are / were fantastic. A great night out all round....

BBP - 3-6-2006 at 13:32

Hah, that's funny! Good thing they filmed in London, would love to hear the organ!

Pappawas1975 - 3-6-2006 at 17:42

Yeah man, that and Frank playing Chungas on the screen with the live band were definitely highlights, but the whole darn thing rocked. Every Zappa fan must see one of these shows, because they are damn fine nights out....

BBP - 3-6-2006 at 22:13

Yeah def... I'm already considering going to Paris... Biggest problem is getting there...

scallopino - 4-6-2006 at 05:31

BBP, this is :offtopic: but what does it take to get off Apostrophe status? Not 200, or 250 or 300 posts! AHHHGGG! :freak::freak::guitar2::drums::P:-P:grin::guitar:

aquagoat - 4-6-2006 at 08:43

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Yeah def... I'm already considering going to Paris... Biggest problem is getting there...

Really ? If you go BB, I hope you'll take pictures and post them here to show me what I will have missed.

BBP - 4-6-2006 at 13:58

Quote:
Originally posted by scallopino
BBP, this is :offtopic: but what does it take to get off Apostrophe status? Not 200, or 250 or 300 posts! AHHHGGG! :freak::freak::guitar2::drums::P:-P:grin::guitar:

500 stars. Then 750, then 1000. Then you'll have 8 stars. If you want to have any more, you'll need to become a moderator or administrator.

scallopino - 8-6-2006 at 04:52

Okay. It's just that i got to five stars in like 2 months! And i just noticed that at this very moment me and aquabot have exactly the same amount of posts.

Oh wait... if i post this then we won't be even anymore. Ok, i won't post it.

aquagoat - 8-6-2006 at 07:20

I've just got to post this and hopla, our number of posts is even once again.

BBP - 8-6-2006 at 10:06

Strange, huh! Reminds me I acquired the "Mini Star" status at the Primus board, that's 1000 posts. A third of those is in the Bottle of Beer thread.

Don't you like being ('), Scallop?

scallopino - 8-6-2006 at 10:57

Quote:
Originally posted by BBPDon't you like being ('), Scallop?

Of course i do Bonny, it's just that I sometimes ask myself:

"Woh, are we movin' too slow?" you know? :D

I have to get my post count up. Maybe i should stop wearing briefs ala Kramer.

;)

BBP - 8-6-2006 at 15:05

Shall we start a Bottles of Beer thread? Or a World Cup Soccer pool?

yoko - 17-6-2006 at 15:01

bottles of beer, bottles of beer :roll:

BBP - 17-6-2006 at 15:50

Ha! :off-topic:
The Bottles Of Beer Thread on the Primus forum is pretty much dead now, we reached 992,597 bottles (and started at one million). I made more than 350 posts in it, kinda silly.

aquagoat - 17-6-2006 at 18:33

Too much time on your hands, maybe ?

BBP - 17-6-2006 at 22:11

Nah, boring forum... Loved that thread. Still do. It's so funny that it went on for so long...

polydigm - 7-7-2006 at 03:54

So much for Scallopino and Aquabot being equal. Aquabot has streaked into the lead in the mean time.

aquagoat - 7-7-2006 at 07:29

Quote:
Originally posted by polydigm
So much for Scallopino and Aquabot being equal. Aquabot has streaked into the lead in the mean time.

Yes, and hop, one more.:D

scallopino - 7-7-2006 at 10:08

:-D aquabot, in the future please consult me before posting.

aquagoat - 7-7-2006 at 10:13

Quote:

No problem.:D

polydigm - 9-8-2006 at 02:08

Quote:
Originally posted by aquabot
Quote:

No problem.:D

Catch 22.

DED - 9-10-2006 at 21:18

HAve you seen that enormous amount of ZPZ vid's in
video.google.com
i

punknaynowned - 10-10-2006 at 05:19

Quote:
Originally posted by DED
HAve you seen that enormous amount of ZPZ vid's in
video.google.com
i

heyyyyyyy, there's an idea!
thanx

BBP - 10-10-2006 at 11:56

There's a nice one with Terry drumming with only one arm...

DED - 10-10-2006 at 21:06

and two legs

DED - 11-10-2006 at 17:15

professional photos from ZPZ Amsterdam

punknaynowned - 10-11-2006 at 19:31

He's so cute!

punknaynowned - 10-11-2006 at 19:38

In Kansas City, When Dweezil was bantering with Terry, after I'm So Cute, as T moved back to get in his ridiculous drumset.
As he was moving out to behind his drums, and Dweezil trailed off, I distinctly remember seeing and hearing Napoloeon, watching Terry, say simply "Austin, Texas'. I don't exactly know what Nappy refers to here, but it makes me laugh.

BBP - 12-11-2006 at 14:42

Nice! When was that?

punknaynowned - 14-11-2006 at 03:07

Kansas City, 16oct06

BBP - 15-5-2007 at 12:59

Ah, good old days... It's been one year today since Amsterdam... still no sign of the boys coming back...

BBP - 8-7-2008 at 16:19

Here's one much less fun story on ZPZ... I am seriously rethinking my Dweezil Zappa fanhood. I'm posting this here, because the only other places where I know it's been posted, are the Zappa forum and The Unmoderated. Latter is restricted (needs an invitation in order to read) and it will be removed from the former.

It was written by Andre Cholmondeley, band leader of Project/Object, who was a member of Zappa.com forum until he got banned. I'm waiting to hear the other side of the Zap corner.

Quote:
> hello Friends....
>
> Sorry -- this became kind of a long letter, but it helped me exorcise some real negative shit. It took me two hours.
>
> I was working for ADRIAN BELEW, opening for ZPZ at Ottawa Bluesfest, Canada (Sat 5 July 2008)
>
> Stuff turned REAL ugly.....
>
> Basically---- one of Dweezil Zappa's guys, under his direct orders - threatened, pushed and physically attacked me.... !
>
> For the horrible act of walking onto the stage to watch and enjoy the show. Really.
>
> I should consider legal action actually..it was ...real ugly. real scary. I was shaking like a leaf... They have sued me many times, tried to at least. Should I return the favor? I ask your advice -- should I seek legal action?? I have countless witnesses, I was at work in a professional capacity. Canada law on this is actually quite bad news for someone who would want to work here again....I could cripple the Zappa family financially, real bad news since they are losing their shirts trying to do these tours, pay cuts, playing smaller and smaller venues etc isn't helping from what I hear.
>
> Their Monitor guy, Dave, almost shoved me off the stage, a 10 to 15ft drop, so scary. Scenes of "broken leg in London Orchestra pit" may dance through your head......
>
> These people actually had a MEETING on THE BUS...Tour Manager, Dweezil, crew, etc. Wrap your mind around the level off dysfunction -- to have a fucking MEETING about a guy you hate --- a guy who has never really done anything but piss you off for some reason. Imagine being so unprofessional -- and self-important -- to think that a HUGE festival, should do your bidding and ban people from public areas. I know - Unreal. - But -- par for the course in Post-Mortem Zappa-land. No surprise. Bullying at every turn.
>
> After a meeting on the bus --Dweezil then demanded from the Festival stage manager (ONE HOUR before their show!!) that I would NOT BE SEEN by him (Dweezil).....!! he asked that he NOT SEE ME AT ALL, EVER, throughout the night. I can't wait to see when he delivers to the shocked people at TODAY's festival the same pompous request.
>
> The incredible, pro stage mgr guy, Wiggy, from the Ottawa Bluesfest, ensured cooler heads prevailed all night. I hope we work together again.
>
> Ok, Now, this is a GIANT festival with about 230 bands...11 days.... we are on a fucking SIDE STAGE -- and Dweezil DEMANDS of the festival staff- ONE HOUR BEFORE HIS SHOW - to KEEP ME OFF THE STAGE (even the side stage, monitor area, backstage, etc!!) and make sure he (DWEEZIL) NEVER SEE ME!!!! Can you even wrap your mind around that??? he wanted to CONTROL the attendance - at a public event he is getting paid to be at - of someone he is soooo pissed at. Unreal.
>
> The (very cool) stage manager , when I asked him -- said " Dude - no, I have NO PROBLEM with you going into the AUDIENCE and watching them, front row, whatever. I just have to respect these guys and ask you to stay off the stage. I wanna run a smooth show - I am here for 11 days, I have no time for issues"
>
> As you all know-- I'm a fucking PRO, and I of course honored the request -- I stayed off stage. But this is after FINDING OUT for the first time....with the prick monitor guy SCREAMING IN MY FACE AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS -- SPITTING IN MY GODDAMN FACE...and pushing me backwards to the edge.... it was terrifying and I've seen a lot of dark shit in this life, trust me on that.
>
> It was unreal. Surreal. The best part is -- before ZPZ played - BELEW played--- and I had met this very same guy - Dave - monitor guy -- and he was COOL!! We were rapping, talking gear, he showed me a pic on his computer of his guitar-rig..which featured the same amp that Adrian uses (Johnson JM 150), like good nerds we chuckled about that as well as his computer gadget his laptop sat on...some device with 2 fans to cool it off, blah blah blah. We talked about him being new on the crew, after I said "Napoleon says hi" --"oh no -- that was the old guy, I am new since last year, etc etc"....We talked all kinds of stuff -- later he claimed "Well I thought you were just acting like nothing was going on". Wow.
>
> So-- SAME GUY turn into a RAGING PSYCHO 2 hrs later!!!! He literally almost pushed me off the stage and down some steps. It was scary shit. I can't emphazise that enough. I am shaking still, almost 12 hrs later as i type this after 4 hrs sleep.
>
> I'm not easily shaken, you know that. But I drive 5 hrs today -- to another fest where ZPZ again plays right after us --- and I dunno how it will turn out. I went to the monitor guy after the show and said "Dude, do you have something to say to me"??
>
> He copped TONS of attitude, but I actually got him to begrudgingly apologize, I accepted it, kinda, since he claimed he had been TOLD by up to 6 people that I was FULLY INFORMED of my "persona non grata" status. Well- I wasn't informed. The FIRST TIME I knew about ANY of this crap was when he violently accosted me!!
>
> I think I will call the next P/O tour by that title. --- PERSONA NON GRATA. how do you like it??
>
> I feel extra let down that I wasn't warned, wasn't told. Joe Travers, the bass player Pete and other crew/band members said hi, some shook my hand, we rapped. I - as I always try to -- will give the benefit of the doubt that each person thought "Oh - I thought Someone ELSE told him". I feel sorry for these people -- including my hero Thomas Nordegg -- thee greatest guitar tech in the Solar System, who I had a lovely time hanging with all afternoon before I loaded in.
>
> I feel sorry that they are all caught between the horrible pressure of being told to DISS ME as part of their job....and knowing me for years and knowing who and what I really am. Terrible - to put people in that position. But that's how tyrants operate. Pitting people against each other. It's worked for centuries. Check the history books.
>
> OK. whatever. But does the 'adult' monitor guy need to have dealt with it that way??? Screaming at the TOP of his lungs, spitting his filthy fucking spit in my face, pushing me backwards in shock?? Later he even justified the screaming (!!) --- "hey my in-ear monitors were on". Yeah right. Any pro engineer knows how loud they are talking!! Ridiculous. Dude has major issues and I will make sure I deal with him today with lost of witnesses around.
>
>
> Thank You,
> André
>
> Now -- I'm not gloating here but.......I'm The guy who, Unlike Dweezil Zappa, has shared the stage with more Zappa alumni and family than almost ANYONE BUT FRANK ZAPPA ..people like Ike Willis, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Candy Zappa, Ed Mann, Roy Estrada, Mike Keneally, Adrian Belew, Denny Walley, Don Preston, Bunk Gardner, Bob Harris, Thana Harris, Jimmy Carl Black, Billy Mundi, Ray White, Al Malkin, Arthur Barrow, Bruce Bickford and more. Actually only someone like the amazing Ed Mann, Ike Willis, Scott Thunes or Chad Wackerman has been onstage with more people -- due to their LONG tenure in the band (over 21 years for Ed and about 7-10 years for Chad/Scott/Ike)
>
> I'm not gloating. It's called PRIDE. I am proud I have dedicated a part of my musical life, just one part -- to paying back to a man who changed my life - Frank Zappa. An amazing, genius man I was lucky enough to shake hands with several times, look in his eyes from 3 feet away, tell him a joke or two, walk up to at a concert and give a funny sign to (feb 1988 , wash DC) that made him laugh his ass off (cherished memory!! Making Zappa laugh!!! C'mon - can it get better??!!!)
>
> A man who asked on his deathbed for people, musicians or not - to PLAY HIS MUSIC!! Frank asked for that -- I have always tried to honor that request. I am PROUD of engineering a SOLD OUT show at Irving Plaza, Halloween 2001, raising TEN GRAND for Prostate Cancer research (a show that owes much credit to my great management team at CEG Music in NYC and the great Matt Ross, now CEO of Paul Green School of Rock). I am PROUD of getting many , many alumni out of RETIREMENT and back onstage. I am PROUD of paying my way, losing money to go all the way to my beloved Germany, to play music and hang out with THOUSANDS of Freaks...at the Zappanale festival -now being SUED by Gail Zappa as well.
>
> I'm proud of my work in this area. No one can or will ever take that away from me. Frank Zappa changed my WORLD at age 16.....and I am very very proud to have had the chance to meet most of his players, to call them all my friends to this day. I am proud to have his original family members as cherished friends. I say this not to impress anyone but to add perspective. No one reading this is unaware of the dark energy that has emanated from Zappa central in recent years. It's a thing of real concern.
>
> PS: This is the core of what pisses them off. They have BURNT EVERY BRIDGE with most of the Zappa alumni and family -- and they hate themselves for it. They know they've BLOWN IT and insulted Frank's Legacy. They know they can NEVER turn back -- can never celebrate his deep kinship with so, so many people.
>
> They know that Musicians they have sued, dissed in the press, not paid, ignored as they stood in the audience at ZPZ shows...won't take that crap and will not ever work with them. I have kept silent about THAT part of things for YEARS...but being physically threatened by Dweezil's crew CROSSES A LINE that I can never go back over. Sorry, Dweezil. You should have thought about your actions. Right now they are in court with the ZAPPANALE...they have sent cease and desist letters to Bogus Pomp and other bands, they keep going after the Grandmothers...suing TV stations....it doesn't end with me -- and that's how I sleep at night -- IT'S NOT JUST ME!!!
>
> As peaceful as a person as I am----I cannot sit by with this crap - It's been OVER TEN YEARS of attacks, insulting emails from Gail, LAWSUIT THREATS, threats to some alumni who play with us, falsified, libelous letters from ASCAP/, and watching the SAME happen to many friends and colleagues WORLDWIDE. It's scary, downright scary. The "Zappa" "Family" feels it can just go around suing, attacking, and trying to squash the truth -- but reality and truth have a way of bubbling up.
>
> Why has EVERY SINGLE LAWSUIT filed against me by Gail Zappa been thrown out ?? Why did i win in NY State Court AGAINST Gail Zappa and ASCAP? because their claims are baseless. My band stays within acceptable US and international law where applicable -- performing the music of a composer in certified venues. End of Story.
>
> I write this to all of you -- in case some dark shit goes down today (Sun, 6 July 2008) at the 2nd festival, in Quebec City QC. I will go there - do my job -- and stay out of the way. I haven't decided yet if I will watch the music --some of my favorite music ever -- from the audience, up front, as I deserve. But we'll see.
>
> My boss--my amazing friend actually -- Mr. Adrian Belew -- has not decided if he will perform on one song today with them. I can;'t speak for him but he is upset -- and feels caught between some painful stuff. Again-- the method of pitting people against each other is in play.
>
> I Urged Adrian to do whatever he feels is right -- and to forget about this (I know- impossible). But he knows that I will not at all be upset if he gets onstage with them, well, with Dweezil. You know why?? Because from BEGINNING TO END -- I have always been about one goddamned thing - FRANK and HIS MUSIC...and about YOU -- the fans and alumni! that's all!!! Every last one of you on here, many who have celebrated Frank's amazing music with me and my band....KNOW THAT. And I thank you again -- and hope we meet again in music.
>
> I also thank, deeply, a blood relative of Frank's who will remain nameless -- who related to me 2 days ago, before all this - in email an old saying:
>
> "They .....will get you sick before you get them well."
>
> (this person added the words........)
>
> "I urge you to protect your beautiful mind from the psychic poison, of which there is a never ending supply."
>
> Great stuff. This made my day. I am trying to do that, my friend. I am trying real hard. You got me through yesterday in many ways and your words will echo all day as I deal with another encounter with this dysfunctional camp.
>
> This letter is public domain. Spread It to others if you feel the need. Post it on forums. Delete it if you don't care. But ponder it as another chapter in this crazy, post-mortem, mis-handling of Frank's legacy. Horrible.
>

>
> PS -Believe it or not --- when I heard about us opening for ZPZ -- after getting over the shock and apprehension, I decided that if I saw Dweezil, I would walk up to him and say "hey man... I know there's lots of water under the bridge..but it's GREAT what you have done and are doing...and just fantastic how you have celebrated your dad's music - Thank You."
>
> Ike Willis, Napoleon Murphy Brock and others are my witness on that, I told them of my intent over a month ago. I was taking the high road -- I greeted every single one of Dweezil's crew with honor and respect -- I genuinely loved meeting the ones I didn't know -- I stayed and watched their show (missing most of Steely Dan, ouch!!) - even after all the crap. I watched, invisibly, from the backstage grounds near stage left. I kept myself unseen. I honored the festival stage manager's requests - great guy. I'm about the music and I want you to know that always. But this crap can't be allowed.
>
> Help me-- should I be suing them?? Should I walk away and just keep living my life at as high a spiritual level as I can manage?? Don't worry -- will go into today's encounter peacefully -- a very , very difficult day lies ahead.
>
> Yours,
> André Cholmondeley
> Tour Manager/Guitar Tech - Adrian Belew Power Trio
> Founder/Guitarist/Grey Hairs - PROJECT/OBJECT - the longest running, internationally touring Zappa repertoire band. Actually Respecting the Alumni Who Made the Music Come Alive

punknaynowned - 9-7-2008 at 06:54

what you said this morning BBP over at the zforum was spot on!

carry on

BBP - 9-7-2008 at 07:00

:shy: Gosh... There's so much slime from the Zappa-fans from either camp... gotta pick the middle of the road, smooth out all the edges... Hope the ZFT comes with some explanation...

BBP - 9-7-2008 at 09:53

For accuracy reasons, here's Dweezil's reply:

Quote:
Soap Opera: AKA Lengthy Blog about stupid stuff...
Hello Friends,
I recently read an amusing tale about an incident that supposedly took place stage side during one of our shows. The author of this highly exaggerated tale is André Cholmondeley. He would like you to believe he was physically attacked. More on that later...

Perhaps it is his dream come true that I would take a moment of my time to write a few sentences that publicly address him. It's a one shot deal - You're welcome.

Here you go...

Dateline - Los Angeles California:

The following are actual private e-mails between me and Adrian Belew. (I apologize to Adrian in advance if this causes him any aggravation.)

I would not normally be inclined to use private information in this way but it perfectly illustrates the details of the "non event" that follows.

Dweezil Zappa writes to Adrian Belew - (e-mail addresses have been removed.)

On June 20, 2008, at 1:42 am, dweezil wrote:

Hello Adrian,
I hope this e-mail finds you doing well. I have noticed that you will be playing before us at 2 upcoming shows. I would like to extend an invitation to you to sit in with us if you like during our set. We are playing "Tiny Lites" and "Flakes" either of those 2 songs could make for a good surprise cameo.

Please let me know if you would be interested.

Regards, DZ
On June 30, 2008 12:04 pm, Adrian wrote:

dweezil,
please excuse my late reply.
I've always had a secret desire to show up for a concert with no guitar and no cases full of gear, just a harmonica in my back pocket.

so...
my idea of a cool cameo would be to come out in the middle of flakes harmonica in hand, sing the sad bob dylan part, and exit stage right, hopefully to applause.
what do you think?

cheers,
adrian

ps: I greatly admire and respect what you are doing for your father's legacy.
no one deserves it more than he and I've heard you do it exceptionally well.
After this first electronic exchange I was informed that Adrian was employing André Cholmondeley as his guitar tech. André's propensity for spreading misinformation and negativity has earned him a reputation. A reputation for being obnoxious and creating conflicts.

Since those personality traits hold no appeal for me I decided to write back to Adrian with a request.

On June 30, 2008, at 11:43 pm, dweezil wrote:

Hello Adrian,
Nice to hear from you. Your idea sounds fun and easy.
I think people will appreciate it. They may even decide to clap a little bit... It happens sometimes.

We usually play Flakes midway through the show. I can say, "Take it away Bob or Adrian" whichever you prefer and you can enter to Ray's microphone.

Just let us know day of show if you're up for it and we'll do it.

On a different topic - perhaps an awkward one - I have been informed that you are working with Andre from Project Object. He is likely your friend as well as your employee so you may not enjoy what is to follow.

Whether you are aware of it or not he has instigated a lot of unpleasant things on our website forum and has made many transgressions musical and otherwise regarding Frank over the years. It would be my preference that he politely remove himself from my view before, during and after our set. For me
the phrase persona non grata is applicable in this case.

I can understand if you feel awkward relaying this and I can even understand if you choose not to accept my invitation to join us on stage as a result.

The fact of the matter is he knows what he has done and it should come as no surprise that I wouldn't appreciate him being anywhere near me now or in the future.

I apologize for having to bring this to your attention.

I thank both of you for your consideration and cooperation on this matter in advance.

Regards, DZ
A politely worded simple request. Here's Adrian's response.

On July 1, 2008, at 9:05 am, Adrian wrote:

dweezil,
please introduce me any way you like.
what key is flakes?
I'll bring the appropriate harmonica.

it's true andre works for me now.
I will make certain he is persona non grata as best I can.

as I told gail, I try always to honor frank, his memory, and his music. he remains a towering inspiration to me. I loved him too, and I could never repay him for what he did for me.

I take responsibility for my own actions, never for the actions of others.
I've have heard bits of the rhetoric surrounding project object (after the fact) but remain apart from it all.
should you or your family have any problem with anything I might ever do, please let me know.

see you onstage.
cheers,
adrian
That was July 1st. Whether or not Adrian decided to convey my request to Andre I do not know for sure. But it is safe to assume by his e-mail that he had every intention of doing so.

It is also clear by his e-mail that he is aware of the existing circumstances that could warrant such a request.

Dateline - Ottawa July 5th:

Showtime for Zappa Plays Zappa. Dave Tobias is mixing our in ear monitor mix and is dealing with a keyboard that has lost phantom power. Andre saunters up and tries to make himself at home in Dave's work area. Why would he attempt to do this? Surely he has been told that it would be polite to stay away by his friend and employer Adrian Belew. One must ask, "Why not go enjoy the show from the audience or anywhere else... just be polite and respect a simple request?" Besides, who willingly wants to be in a place where they know they are not welcome?

Dave stops Andre and relays the message that he is not supposed to be there. No touching, pushing or spitting occurred. Loud talking happened, that's it. There was a concert going on and Dave had in ear monitors in his ears. At no point was anyone instructed to be rude to Andre in fact just the opposite is true. Andre even mentioned in his own blog about how nice everyone was earlier in the day. He even mentioned Dave Tobias. Everyone believed that Andre knew about the request and was willing to co-operate and watch the show from a different vantage point later on.

Apparently Adrian must not have made it clear to him that he was not welcome in the stage area. Or maybe he did and Andre decided to ignore the request? In any case, Dave Tobias was a little surprised to see Andre in his work area given all of the back story. He most likely assumed Andre was informed of the request to politely be elsewhere and that he was just trying to be obnoxious again - which is why I originally requested he politely remove himself in the first place.

That's end of the story. Probable miscommunication from Employer to employee. End result stupid drama.

The show the next night had no incident whatsoever. Andre still temerariously snuck himself to the side of the stage though. It's just his way. He can't help himself.

Contrary to his report where claims he locked eyes with me at some point during the show, I'm here to tell you that it never took place. He'd know if I locked eyes with him. "What an imagination"

Here's a paragraph dedicated solely to Andre. To me, if you really have respect for my Father and his music you have an asinine way of showing it. By repeatedly insulting Frank's family and ignoring copyright laws related to his music you have proven the exact opposite of respect. Your obsequious fawning over "alumni" and your precious associations you have with them are embarrassingly shallow. Your attempts to draw attention to yourself as some sort of soldier fighting the good fight for Frank's music reveal what you really are - a depressing epigone starving for recognition.

One last thing, for me to care at all about what you say or do would mean that I have some sort of respect for you or your opinion.
Sadly, I have neither.

End of 15 minutes...

Regards, DZ

Jakeobs - 9-7-2008 at 09:57

Between the ZFT's questionable business practices and their sue-happy party line on FZ tributes, I'm inclined to side with Andre over Dweezil in this instance.

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust either of 'em any further than I can throw 'em but from everything I've read on the Zappa.com forum and heard from other reliable sources (her being one of 'em), this whole thing reeks of yet another power play by the haves against the have-nots to me.

BBP - 9-7-2008 at 18:56

I hope Dweezil gets over himself. It seems touring has made him crazy. He was so nice in '06 in Brussels and Amsterdam, I can't believe he turned into shithole. (though to be fair, 2 years ago he also said some highly snobbish remarks in interviews, but this is his BLOG, he has final authority...)

punknaynowned - 9-7-2008 at 20:13

Andre has a tendency to use hyperbolic language in describing things. He also won't back down.
Dweezil apparently simply will not deal with him at all. His choice, though I think is a poor one and though I don't know what ''he knows what he's done'' means. In othre words,
Andre has done something specific that pissed off the family and I don't think it's merely running/being P/O. It may have to do with souring relations between old mothers and the zappa family. I don't know this for sure and I think most of those members who have an axe to grind would not if there were some form of contact. But there obviously is not.

Some can't heal old wounds. JCB and Don Preston, still pissed and so are many others. Like Gail. and she sure doesn't seem to be able to heal old wounds or even try to address them with an eye toward reconciliation.

The ego presentation thing is also obviously not dweeezil's style or he would show a better face in this. He tries to show himself above the fray and be professional and doesn't succeed to those who know a bit of the story. But probably will for the most people who read it.
But I think even if we've been reading Andre's side of the story over the last several years, we only know half of it, and that in a biased presentation. So we know what Andre wants us to know and not what he doesn't want us to know.

On the other hand, To my knowledge this is the first time a memeber of the zft has come out and said anything on the topic. The interview of Dweezil a few years ago about cover bands is non-specific enough to easily fit the age-old name-trashing tactics of bands that compete with each other: country to rock to funk to hip-hop and rap. They like to tear each other down and say I'm the best. It's part of the game. So this being the first time D has leveled an attack against Andre (verbally, written, I don't hold any credence to Andre's encounter with Dave the sound guy), it comes off as mean and arbitrary with it's own history that Dweezil conveniently shows himself as above. When the high road would be to actually talk to the guy.
Because of this Persona Non Grata story things are likely to get worse.

Conjecture:

BBP - 10-7-2008 at 07:10

Conjecture: ... And then?

It's upsetting to me that Dweezil is so nasty, compared to Andre's mildness. But you're right, we have no reason to believe either one of them, so unless there are witnesses of the occasion there's not much to discuss.

PS it's its history. With apostrophy, it's means "it is" or "it has". Without apostrophe, its means "belonging to it".

polydigm - 10-7-2008 at 08:21

I will only comment on what I know to be true. It's very difficult for any of us outside this thing to know the real truth. One thing we do know is that Dweezil has openly admitted he sent those emails to Adrian Belew so I can quite comfortably express an opinion about them. They suck!! How dare he write an email to a fellow participant at a music festival and make demands about the behaviour of a third person?

I believe Andre should not sue Dweezil or whoever but what he should do is get some legal advice about what Dweezil demanded, I'm pretty sure you can't go around making demands like that, and also about the other issues between them, and then maybe he could make some kind of statement without the emotion that clarifies his position for all to see. I think Andre should really try and calm down a bit. It's very hard to take someone seriously when they're losing the plot, and calling out to Dweezil and confronting him in public like that is not helping his case.

polydigm - 10-7-2008 at 08:44

I've just thought a little more about Dweezil's comments and I have to say the part aimed directly at Andre really stinks. How does Dweezil know how deep Andre's association is with alumni that are alienated from the Zappa family? And how nasty to demean his association in that way? And what do these copyright transgressions amount to that he's talking about? Are they anything that has been clearly established in a court? I think Dweezil should put up or shut up on the legal ramifications associated with artists covering Zappa's music.

[Edited on 10/7/2008 by polydigm]

punknaynowned - 10-7-2008 at 10:02

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
PS it's its history. With apostrophy, it's means "it is" or "it has". Without apostrophe, its means "belonging to it".

you got me. sorry for the confusion.
habit overcame sense.
your english is pretty dang tight there, missy (:

I was conjecturing that when gail dies . . .
but who knows, all bets are off.

scallopino - 10-7-2008 at 12:14

I really know nothing about all of this. But the thing that struck me as most surprising and offensive about Dweezil was that he gave an order for Andre not to be seen by him. And then Dweezil's emails prove that he actually did give that ridiculous order. Maybe Andre then went and made himself visible in protest of the ridiculousness of it.

I'm wondering where Napoleon stands in all this. Doesn't he play with P/O AND ZPZ?

BBP - 10-7-2008 at 19:01

Andre has reacted onto the Unmoderated forum. I could post that here as well.

He could sue Dave-the-monitor-guy, and he should, as by the sound of it there may have been mistreating. But I just can't see what he could sue Dweezil for, maybe offending or libel. But I don't think suing Dweezil would even work.

BBP - 12-2-2009 at 19:01

On a brighter note: ZPZ IS PLAYING MY HOME TOWN!! I'm so excited!

scallopino - 15-2-2009 at 13:13

That's awesome. Is it part of the You Can't Fit shows? The Australian shows aren't unfortunately. But maybe this is a good thing, because if they only played one gig in Melbourne at a small venue tickets would sell so fast I wouln't have got any.

In other news, we've all probably heard that ZPZ won a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental, beating out Metallica, Rush and Nine Inch Nails. Dweezil described it as a "perverse twist of fate" but was pretty proud. I think ZPZ has really achieved a lot over the past few years.

BBP - 15-2-2009 at 13:57

Oh yeah! Well... for a cover band anyway... I presume it's not part of the Can't Fit shows. Shame because I could use a guitar.

scallopino - 17-2-2009 at 04:37

A long video of Dweezil inside the UMRK explaining his latest guitar rig and his various guitars, including the Hagstrom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXnPcIK1V8

BBP - 18-2-2009 at 16:32

I'd seen that yeah... Great watch! Made my head blow.

Bought my ticket for Eindhoven ZPZ today!!!

DED - 18-2-2009 at 22:07

The old and new Effenaar in Eindhoven (ZPZ)

[Edited on 18-2-2009 by DED]

scallopino - 19-2-2009 at 03:41

That's quite a large Cafe. Is it a cafe proper or is that more of a name?

BBP - 19-2-2009 at 16:35

It's a place where you can eat and drink. Good, because the concert starts early, 18:30. I've eaten at the Effenaar restaurant but that was before they rebuilt it.

DED - 19-2-2009 at 19:50

In fact it was an old linnenfactory. In the factory there was a machine to smoothen (effenen) the linnen.
The machine was called the Smoothener (effenaar). After the factory was closed the plans were to demolish the building but a lot of young people without a meeting place squat the building stating it was an example for the way they build factories in the beginning of the last century. Finally the major accepted that and the building was officially an Open youth center named after the machine Effenaar.
A view years a go the building was no longer big enough and instead of building a new center on a different place, they forgot everything about their roots and they demolished the building (except the outer wall). The inner space is now a pont and a new building is positioned in the formely outer space and a street.
The ZPZ concerts has famous predecessors, for instance our own Poet Saskia Ploeg (ZAZ on the goose).
She presented her lovely and sometime strange poems on a ggggirl power evening a few years ago (in the old building).

BBP - 19-2-2009 at 21:49

Oh yes! That Girl Power evening!
I must've told you about that. A friend of my sister said to Sas, slightly aggravated: "You didn't tell me you were performing at De Effenaar!" My sister went: :puzzled:

Anyway De Effenaar had announced her performance on the poster, but forgot to ask her. Eventually my sister did perform, for five minutes or so. It was only two days before the evening that she heard about it.

scallopino - 20-2-2009 at 04:57

Thanks for that very interesting history Ded.

As for Sas, had she performed her poetry before in public? At least with a poetry reading you don't need to get a band together and rehearse them at the last minute!

BBP - 20-2-2009 at 12:11

Oh yeah. There used to be this local poetry contest that she participated in every year of its short existence (three years only). The first time we weren't there, but the second time was enjoyable (our school did something with a lot of water, causing a lot of wetness) and the third time, my sister won the prize for best poem.
That prize also let her perform in a cafe on a poetry evening. That was rather shady.

scallopino - 15-4-2009 at 12:49

ZPZ tomorrow! Woohoo! I'm very excited! :guitar:

BBP - 15-4-2009 at 12:53

Tell us all about it!

scallopino - 17-4-2009 at 14:30

Well, i saw them last night at the Palais Theatre and i was waiting for somebody to post the setlist at zappa.com so i could steal it and use it here...Thankfully Callum O'Blivion did!

Quote:
1. Treacherous cretins
2. Dirty Love
3. Penguin in Bondage
4. Village of the Sun
5. Echidna's Arf
6. Don't You Ever Wash That Thing
7. Wind Up Working In A Gas Station
8. Magic Fingers
9. Tell Me You Love Me
10. Mammy Anthem

INTERMISSION

11. Peaches En Regalia - Segue
12. Apostrophe
13. Bamboozled By Love W/Mark (a.k.a. Johnny Diesel)
14. Pound For A Brown - Band Solos - Jack Jones (Jack played with Ahemt and Dweezil in Z, and is a good family friend. He performed an improv song on guitar and vocals about having a wallaby in his bedroom and wanting to make "wallababies")
15. Pygmy Twylyte
16. Yellow Snow
17. St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
18. Father O'Blivion
19. Cosmik Debris - End Of Show

ENCORE

20. I'm The Slime
21. Willie The Pimp.

It was a dynamite show. Whoever the person was that said they started out nervous-like...they were right. But the same thing happened last time, and i think this is just because Dweez, being the leader, doesn't have a whole heap of natural showmanship or pizazz. It's just him. He lets the music talk. The audience definitely feels this and maybe gets nervous despite what's about to happen.

The "hard" songs (the Roxy-suite, St Alphonzo's/Rollo, Father O'Blivion) were unbelievably tight and also performed with a lot of passion. Rollo was incredible.

I fell in love with Sheila all over again. She is superwoman. Saxes, flute, even more keyboard work (including playing tenor sax and keyboards AT THE SAME TIME), AND lead vocals! She sang very excellently. Her solo during Cosmic Debris was my sister's highlight of the night...she really smoked it, and it came pretty late in the night.

Joe also sang lead, and sang the two Flo and Eddie songs (Tell Me and Magic Fingers) along with Sheila. When they sing together, their voices work so nicely together that they sound uncannily like Flo and Eddie! Very cool!

Diesel put his heart and soul into Bamboozled by Love. I think quite a few of the crowd were surprised and even a little disappointed when he was announced but they soon warmed to him!

Jack Jones...what a fucking monster of a guitarist that guy is. I didn't really know who he was at the time. But god. He floored me. As somebody said on the Z forum, he probably didn't play up the wallababies improv enough lyrically, as is necessary for a Zappa show, but his playing was just amazing. I wanted him to stay the whole time! I would have loved if he came out during Willie the Pimp!

Dweezil played great (duh) even if his sunburst Strat kept saying, in his words, "Hey, i don't think i wanna stay in tune for very long". A few times when he was really soaring i saw a few people in front of me just sort of grin and look at each other. I'm sure people used to do that a lot when Frank played.

After reading on the ZPZ blog what happend during the other Australian shows, Melbourne seems rather uneventful! There was some very rowdy young men behind me and my sis but they got quieter and quieter! It was funny! One of them was clapping through all of Cosmic Debris, by himself, including clapping fills! But the playing really was top notch.

The highlights for me were all the solos, Echidna's, Rollo, Yellow Snow, the Mammy Anthem (which absolutely rocked), Cosmic Debris and Willie The Pimp and, of course, Peaches, which they didn't play last time.

And I particularly enjoyed Jamie Kime's dandy-ish dancing and posturing while Joe and Dweezil were going at it during Willie!

punknaynowned - 18-4-2009 at 03:09

fantastic, sounds like you had a good time!

scallopino - 18-4-2009 at 08:38

:lol: I sure did! There was really nothing to worry about!

(Did you get my u2u the other day Punkymonkey?)

BBP - 18-4-2009 at 20:02

Oh wow! Sounds like an amazing evening!
Who's Johnny Diesel? Why would people be disappointed to see him onstage?

punknaynowned - 19-4-2009 at 04:04

yes scallopino I did and didn't get up in time today to get it to the post office on time.
It'll go out on Monday...
no cover, no artwork, just setlists and generation transmission...
All but one song fits on two cd's, so the third disc is mostly pieces of 5/9/70 and 5/15/70, the unique arrangements and all

scallopino - 19-4-2009 at 04:23

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned
yes scallopino I did and didn't get up in time today to get it to the post office on time.
It'll go out on Monday...
no cover, no artwork, just setlists and generation transmission...
All but one song fits on two cd's, so the third disc is mostly pieces of 5/9/70 and 5/15/70, the unique arrangements and all

:bouncy:

scallopino - 19-4-2009 at 04:37

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Oh wow! Sounds like an amazing evening!
Who's Johnny Diesel? Why would people be disappointed to see him onstage?

Johnny Diesel, aka Diesel is a great singer and guitarist. I think probably people in the audience aged 40-50 would have loved seeing him there and knew exactly what he is capable of. The main reason he was there was because he and Dweezil are good friends.

Myself, being young (!) I only really know him for his song "Tip Of My Tongue" (see link below), which i love from my childhood and always sing along whenever it comes on the radio. I also knew that he was considered a pretty great guitarist. I was never a big fan because i'm the wrong age and never really bothered to check him out.

ANYWAY, I was slightly disappointed because i knew he played in Sydney or wherever and i thought maybe they would have someone different for Melbourne, seeing Melbourne is the biggest musical city of Australia. The perfect guest for ME would have been someone like Nick Cave; this would have FLOORED the entire audience. But i guess that's a pretty outlandish request.

Here is "Tip of My Tongue" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePWpolxEKiw&feature=PlayList&...

BBP - 9-9-2010 at 11:56

Okay, so Zap is going to tour Europe again, this fall.
Three things spring to mind:
A. Great to have them back again so soon!
B. Poster looks good and promising.
C. Hengelo? HENGELO? Shrinking venue size ever more...

punknaynowned - 20-9-2010 at 10:10

Pictures from Baltimore yesterday
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bs-frank-zappa-stat...

when I saw the first one I immediately thought of jimmie-d

[Edited on 20-9-10 by punknaynowned]

punknaynowned - 20-9-2010 at 10:14

oh yeah, also, someone who attended said they asked about Beefheart's Bat Chain Puller which Gail said would be released. Also Roxy has been converted to HD, so that's something

polydigm - 21-9-2010 at 07:41

Hey Punky, it seems that XMB doesn't like commas in urls. I could only get your link to work by copying it in it's entirety and pasting it in a browser window.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bs-frank-zappa-stat...

Hey, it works if you put it in url brackets.

BBP - 22-9-2010 at 12:40

That picture of Pete Griffin is great!

Huck_Phlem - 11-10-2010 at 02:43

So roxy will be out soon eh? Cool!

BBP - 11-10-2010 at 08:59

Not sure about Roxy.

Anyway, I can get the day off next month (although if somebody breaks a leg it might be cumbersome). The programme will, among others, contain a start-to-finish play of Apostrophe (').

What IS it about that? Playing albums in their entirety?