10000 Lakes Festival Confirms The Tragically Hip, Zappa Plays Zappa

read more

Super groupie

DED - 10-4-2007 at 12:49

Source Name : Javno.hr, Croatia
Source Url : http://www.javno.com
Publish Date : Apr 7, 2007

Summary :
... to her heroes and thus ensued ?friendships? with Mick Jagger, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, David Gilmour, Frank Zappa and even Don Johnson. ...

Read the full story

[Edited on 10-4-2007 by DED]

Merchandise

DED - 10-4-2007 at 12:57

Anthill Trading has made a deal with the Zappa Family trust to oversee all merchandising efforts in relation to Frank Zappa, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and Zappa Plays Zappa.

New York, New York (Billboard Publicity Wire) April 4, 2007 -- Anthill Trading is honored to announce that we have entered into an alliance with the Zappa Family Trust. Anthill will oversee all aspects
of merchandising not only for Frank Zappa (http://www.zappa.com) but also for the critically-acclaimed touring concert series Zappa Plays Zappa, featuring Dweezil Zappa.

Anthill recognizes not just the musical contributions Frank Zappa made but also the enormous visual impact his work contains. It is therefore with pride that we will work alongside Frank's wife Gail in memorializing the entire Zappa legacy through a comprehensive assortment of lifestyle products that will appeal to his legions of fans worldwide.

Frank Zappa was a composer, guitarist, singer, film director and satirist. In his more than 30 year career Frank Zappa established himself as a prolific and distinctive musician - composer - band leader. Zappa originated the first concept album in Rock & Roll and worked in substantially every musical genre, creating music for rock bands, jazz ensembles, synthesizers and symphony orchestra and is recognized today as one of the great composers of the last century. And he proved that humor does indeed belong in Music.

Zappa self produced almost every one of the more than sixty albums he released with the Mothers of Invention or as a solo artist. He amassed an enormous archive consisting of thousands of live recordings spanning even beyond his performing career. In addition to his music recordings he created feature length and short films, graphic art and album covers. Civilization - , Phase III (the third part of his Masterwork trilogy which also includes Lumpy Gravy & We're Only In It For The Money) earned a Grammy for the album art. He received multiple Grammy nominations and eventually was presented with a Grammy award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance in 1987 for the album "Jazz From Hell," albeit it, off camera. Other dubious achievements: In 2005 Rolling Stone magazine ranked him #71 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and, posthumously inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995, he is possibly the first inductee whose music was refused a performance at the actual ceremony.

Zappa Plays Zappa- After cocooning himself away in the studio for more than a year learning to play his father's music note for note and in fact, relearning his picking style in order to address parts that were never intended to be played on the guitar, in 2006 Dweezil Zappa hand selected a band of new, young musicians as well as some legendary Zappa alumni to help him present the first official live concert event of Frank Zappa's music since his untimely death in 1993. While not yet confirmed there are plans to take the tour down under in the months ahead.

About Anthill Trading
Anthill Trading, founded in 1996, is a New York based merchandising company specializing in the exploitation of some unique music, entertainment, and lifestyle properties. Exclusive global representation of some of the world's most prestigious icons and trademarks is under the direction of industry veterans and Anthill founders Cathy Cleghorn and Norman Perry. From their roots in the concert promotion business, both Cleghorn and Perry have developed a keen sense of how to merge the very specific merchandise goals of their artists with the desires of their audiences. The result is an exceptional and eclectic roster, which includes AC/DC, David Bowie, Blondie, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Dashboard Confessional, Deep Purple, RUN DMC, Iggy Pop, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Tragically Hip, Nelly Furtado and The Police. For all the latest about Anthill Trading or it's clients visit http://www.anthilltrading.com and browse our news section, photo gallery and blog.

For more information contact Renay Palome at 212-675-1114 or email.

###

DED - 10-4-2007 at 22:36

You can find zappa thingies on their website
http://www.anthilltrading.com
But it is a sort of Sesamestreet website. :D

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Frank Zappa

DED - 11-4-2007 at 16:20

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Frank Zappa
Source Name : All About Jazz, PA
Source Url : http://www.allaboutjazz.com
Publish Date : Mar 31, 2007

Summary :
Although many fans of Marian McPartland's long running NPR series heard former Frank Zappa sideman George Duke's guest appearance on Marian McPartland's ...

Read the full story here

DED - 12-4-2007 at 16:01

Quote:
Originally posted by DED
You can find zappa thingies on their website
http://www.anthilltrading.com
But it is a sort of Sesamestreet website. :D

They have some rare stuff (they say)

Korn management confirms drummer exit

DED - 12-4-2007 at 19:16

Korn's management has confirmed that temporary drummer Terry Bozzio has completed his work on the band's new record and is no longer working with the group. Bozzio, a legendary drummer known for his work with Missing Persons and Frank Zappa, plays on some but not all tracks on the album. Bozzio will also not be joining Korn on the road, with a new touring drummer yet to be announced. Brooks Wackerman of Bad Religion played with the band two weeks ago at a youth volunteer show in Los Angeles, but is not expected to tour with them.

Bozzio replaced founding drummer David Silveria in January, after Silveria announced at the end of 2006 that he was taking a "hiatus" from Korn for at least one album and tour.

Korn's eighth studio effort is due out in June. The band will headline the 2007 Family Values tour starting in mid-July, with Evanescence, Hellyeah, Atreyu, Trivium and Flyleaf also on the bill. The on-sale date for most of the shows is April 28th.

punknaynowned - 27-4-2007 at 07:59

1991 Documentary Peefeeyakto c 1991 by Frank Zappa is available to be viewed on youtube here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAjzztZbQw
this is a link to part 1 of 6
of course the sound is terrible and there seems to be some minor edits, but all in all a very interesting look into the synclavier world of zappa and his concept of sound and of music in general. Eye - ear opening!!
Some unique pieces as well I believe . . .
sorry if you've seen this before, it is new to me.
how ya'll doin? haven't talked to you folks in a while . . .
I'm ok, gotta move:crying:

BBP - 28-4-2007 at 22:23

Move where Punky?

punknaynowned - 30-4-2007 at 03:08

that's just the thing, I don't know yet
somewhere here in town
I hate to move

BBP - 30-4-2007 at 18:32

Oh dear... What's happening to your old place? Demolished? In the way of a new highway or mall? Infested by rats?

punknaynowned - 29-4-2008 at 05:11

New Z Series a Reality?

There may be some truth do you think of the vinyl release of previously unreleased stuff?

BBP - 29-4-2008 at 09:21

Seen the pics, yeah. I'm kinda lost at it. Do I really "need" 2 more renditions of "The Torture Never Stops"?

punknaynowned - 14-6-2008 at 02:13

one shot deal available at Barfko-Swill
but if you go to the what's new page
http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/index.html
and click on the image, you'll get a flash page that offers a tracklisting
:P

Badchild - 16-6-2008 at 10:15

ordered today -One shot Deal

punknaynowned - 24-6-2008 at 12:26

we got a lead, folks

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14621&postdays=0&am...

really big news

[Edited on 24-6-08 by punknaynowned]

polydigm - 24-6-2008 at 23:34

Hey Punky, if you want the zappa forum to go straight to the post in question you can do the following:

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=363669&highlight#36...

You get the post number by hitting quote on the post you want highlighted and then copying the post number from the link in the address field after the quote editor has loaded. There's no obligation to submit the quote, of course. The viewtopic.php command works with a post number p= instead of a topic number t=.

punknaynowned - 25-6-2008 at 00:18

that's a great signifier distinguisher!
I'll use it!
thanx!
Is it useful to php only ?

What I'm most excited about and hope something comes of it is GZ's mention before that:
http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=363669&highlight#36...

:cool:

punknaynowned - 25-6-2008 at 00:35

This is something that has the best to offer it, for everyone, I think.
Gail has at least said now that she's up for talking about options as to online distribution thru dl's or streams or whatever.
She hadn't done that before.
And with her coming up now more frequently, if the geezers with the online pipes and the fanatic techs step up to make it work and the difficulty of 'encryption' is worked out ( . . .! . . .)
there is finally something else to talk about, positively in addition to the faltering and gimmegimme fanny-tripes when the new releases come along.

My thought is that the zpz dvd sales exceeded expectations, which allowed for broader release of that in different formats and maybe even cover production costs for new releases this year.

I hope that the statement she made that you pipointed above polyd is not a conditional statement or based solely on the context. That is, that there would be 4 releases this year if an on online pipe could be set up. The way she words it, leaves open that possibility I fear. An argument could be made I think that is what she means, despite everyone's wishes or expectations to the contrary. . .

punknaynowned - 25-6-2008 at 00:38

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned
This is something that has the best to offer all around, for everyone, I think.
Gail has at least said now that she's up for talking about options as to online distribution thru dl's or streams or whatever.
She hadn't done that before.
And with her coming up now more frequently, if the geezers with the online pipes and the fanatic techs step up to make it work and the difficulty of 'encryption' is worked out ( . . .! . . .)
there is finally something else to talk about, positively in addition to the faltering and gimmegimme fanny-tripes when the new releases come along.

My thought is that the zpz dvd sales exceeded expectations, which allowed for broader release of that in different formats and maybe even cover production costs for new releases this year.

I hope that the statement she made that you pinpointed above polyd is not a conditional statement or based solely on the context. That is, that there would be 4 releases this year if an on online pipe could be set up. The way she words it, leaves open that possibility I fear. An argument could be made I think that is what she means, despite everyone's wishes or expectations to the contrary. . .

punknaynowned - 25-6-2008 at 00:38

woops I hit quote instead of edit.

polydigm - 25-6-2008 at 00:42

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned: Is it useful to php only?
You have to distinguish between PHP and the use of PHP by the creators of the forum software just like you have to distinguish between keywords and variable names in any programming language. The creators of phpBB2 have their own names for variables that they use when writing their own PHP files.

punknaynowned - 26-9-2008 at 17:28

Joe's Menage
http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=971_4039_883...
expect a new frontpage at zappa.com
My guess is that it is Lublyana, Yugoslavia, 22.11.75
yup, one song of which is fz plays fz

cheers all!

[Edited on 26-9-08 by punknaynowned]

scallopino - 27-9-2008 at 13:36

Thanks Punk. I get the crazy emails from zappa.com and sometimes I read them and by the end I feel like I haven't really got any information.

BBP - 27-9-2008 at 18:04

Yup. Gail's more cryptic than Linear A.

scallopino - 29-9-2008 at 11:00

:D I don't know how much use i'll get out of that one Bonny, but if i'm with the right company i'll certainly try it out.

BBP - 29-9-2008 at 20:09

Well, with PCs it should be easier than figuring it out by hand, but you will have to learn ancient Egyptian. And studying Linear A is cursed, btw. But solving it brings instant fame!

Pappawas1975 - 25-11-2008 at 06:40

I see Lumpy Money has been delayed....No surprise there.

Nice little snippet on zappa.com, though....

scallopino - 25-11-2008 at 06:46

Excuse my ignorance...what is Lumpy Money?

aquagoat - 25-11-2008 at 07:04

Quote:
[quote="The Idiot Bastard"]Next from the ZFT, Lumpy Money, a three-CD "audio documentary" due out on 25 November, comprising two separate FZ mixes of Lumpy Gravy and WOIIFTM and the first official release of the instrumental orchestral "ballet" version of Lumpy Gravy that Frank recorded in 1967 for Capitol Records but later revamped. Read more here: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content... and try to remain calm.

polydigm - 25-11-2008 at 09:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira1975: I see Lumpy Money has been delayed....No surprise there. Nice little snippet on zappa.com, though....

Damn good quality given the original is a 40 year old analog recording. I'm getting weak at the knees over this one.

Badchild - 25-11-2008 at 11:48

Quote:
Originally posted by polydigm
Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira1975: I see Lumpy Money has been delayed....No surprise there. Nice little snippet on zappa.com, though....

Damn good quality given the original is a 40 year old analog recording. I'm getting weak at the knees over this one.

Yeah i know the feeling....Anyone wanna give a ball park figure on how much that little sucker is going to put you back?? I'll go first 40$?

BBP - 25-11-2008 at 15:03

I guess $35 dollars... $40 if you want to buy it at a Dutch store.

Pappawas1975 - 25-11-2008 at 21:14

I think this is going to be nice.....

I have a copy of the original instrumental LG, which I do love, but will be nice to get everything sounding good and polished as possible, as you mentioned, poly...

BBP - 25-11-2008 at 22:22

LG's been my favourite since I first heard it, and every time I play it I just sit still, listen, and chuckle at Louie the Turkey. I used to have a friend who laughed like that: usually I tried not to make him laugh because of it. (And the volume of his laugh would hurt your ears).

Not sure if I'll buy Lumpy Money. It's going to be very hard to get, and this far I haven't really played any new release the way I play the CP3-and-earlier material. Not even Wazoo.

Pappawas1975 - 26-11-2008 at 06:35

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Not sure if I'll buy Lumpy Money. It's going to be very hard to get, and this far I haven't really played any new release the way I play the CP3-and-earlier material. Not even Wazoo.

That will come with time,surely? Same for me, actually, but I think this is because they are new releases, y'know? ( and due to the fact I discovered Zappateers! )

Joe's Menage was on the other day actually. Great!

BBP - 26-11-2008 at 15:47

A lot of newer releases (like Imaginary Diseases) just don't have the same vibe. Or the same start-to-finish superb quality.

DED - 30-11-2008 at 12:15

From the Los Angeles Times
obituary

Zappa Drummer Jimmy Carl Black, 70, Dies
Los Angeles Times
November 7, 2008
Jimmy Carl Black, the original drummer in Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention, a band that helped define the sub-genre of art rock, died of cancer Saturday. He was 70.

He died in Siegsdorf, Germany, according to Roddie Gilliard, who performed with Black in recent years as part of the Muffin Men, a British group that specialized in performing Zappa's music live.

A note on Black's official website stated, "Jimmy passed away peacefully. ... Jimmy says hi to everybody, and he doesn't want anybody to be sad."

He moved to Germany in the 1990s after marrying a German woman following the death of his first wife.

James Inkanish Jr. was born Feb. 1, 1938, in El Paso, Texas, but was reared in nearby Anthony, N.M. He changed his name after his mother married Carl Black.

He lived in Anthony for 19 years, started playing piano at age 6 and took up trumpet in high school but switched to drums when he joined the Air Force in 1958 because "there weren't any trumpets in rock 'n' roll."

Black moved to Los Angeles in 1964 and formed the Soul Giants with Roy Estrada and Ray Collins. When the group's guitarist was drafted, they hired Zappa, who took over as leader and changed the band's name to the Mothers of Invention.

After Zappa disbanded the Mothers in 1969, Black appeared in Zappa's 1971 film "200 Motels" and went on to play in a variety of musical collaborations. Zappa died of prostate cancer in 1993.

Black quit playing music entirely at times, once earning a living working in a doughnut shop and later as a house painter and decorator.

He reunited with former Mothers Bunk Gardner and Don Preston as the Grandmothers, performing vintage Zappa songs and other original compositions.

Black is survived by his second wife, Monika; six children; and several grandchildren.

scallopino - 30-11-2008 at 13:30

:(

I didn't know about it. Thanks for posting that Ded.

BBP - 30-11-2008 at 16:13

There was this mass mourning at the Zappa forum... which of course Isaac messed up...

scallopino - 1-12-2008 at 05:48

What did he do?

I guess the thing about all of FZ's band members - especially in the original Mothers - they weren't just sidemembers. They had huge personalities and played such a big part in the early Zappa mythology. It's really sad. Poor Jimmy.

punknaynowned - 21-1-2009 at 21:37

this is really cool
it is part 1 of a CBC radio show

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/9z0yu8

it's REALLY wonderful with extended bits of Ruth and her emotional connection and Gail and her emotional connection. Intense. Delightful to hear these old women talk like teenagers.:P

BBP - 22-1-2009 at 14:42

Of course, Vista won't let me play or download that. :umm:

punknaynowned - 22-1-2009 at 18:20

Vista is on this machine B and it snapped it right up and loaded it automatically in winamp.
I don't know where the system put it .. .:freak:
but I can listen to it. Can't you override the protocol somehow?

BBP - 22-1-2009 at 19:43

Maybe you've got something disabled that we have enabled. But our PC gives us much problems with downloading. It's why I can't upgrade this place.

punknaynowned - 23-1-2009 at 09:56

unfortunately this was sold to me used and 'worked on'. The bugs were worked out supposedly but it allows some things and doesn't others. So I don't know what all it can do. I didn't make it.
As far as the radio show, I'll see if I have a cassette tape and can get it give decent playback.
I can't find the file but can play it. The cassette recorder I have is old and may give a distorted or hissy tape when played back. I'll see.

BBP - 23-1-2009 at 15:00

Oh you really have to take care with secondhanders. I have one. The previous owner left some sensitive information on it.
Vista's security is especially annoying when playing PC games. I spent two days figuring out how to navigate around the password bug in Leisure Suit Larry 5. It never really played Phantasmagoria properly. Ugh.

It also gave me serious problems with college: some teachers publish their text through Internet, and then I couldn't download them with IE, so I needed to use Opera, and then I'd only be able to see the first page...

punknaynowned - 23-1-2009 at 18:43

mozilla/firefox ??
it seems to make dl's and page opens a lot easier . . .
but you're not on dial up,right?

BBP - 23-1-2009 at 19:03

Firefox works real bad on our PC. We barely use it as it would rend some programs unusable.

punknaynowned - 25-1-2009 at 03:33

here
http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/archives_ITM.html
this page has links for pt 1 and pt 2
and you should be able to hear it

punknaynowned - 25-1-2009 at 03:34

fingers crossed

MTF - 25-1-2009 at 08:40

I used to use Firefox. It worked just great until - all of a sudden - it stopped working completely. I tried reinstalling; uninstalling; everything short of lighting the computer on fire. All I get is that stupid "We're sorry" window.

So now I use Safari. It's kind of gray and kludgy, but it works.

BBP - 27-1-2009 at 13:07

Yay! It works!

Pappawas1975 - 14-2-2009 at 06:30

ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA European dates! Don't you live near Eindhoven Bonny? Three dutch dates, and one is Eindhoven! Check the ZPZ page for full list!

BBP - 14-2-2009 at 08:58

I live there!
Yeah I'm very excited about it! When they just started out with that You Can't Fit On Stage Anymore stuff, I posted in a reply on their YouTube vid that they could play Effenaar. And they DO!!! Can you believe it? I'll also go to the Amsterdam show with my sister. Not sure about the other date yet, don't know where it is.

Pappawas1975 - 14-2-2009 at 21:27

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
I live there!
Yeah I'm very excited about it! When they just started out with that You Can't Fit On Stage Anymore stuff, I posted in a reply on their YouTube vid that they could play Effenaar. And they DO!!! Can you believe it? I'll also go to the Amsterdam show with my sister. Not sure about the other date yet, don't know where it is.

Result!

BBP - 15-2-2009 at 11:15

I'm wondering who suggested Oosterpoort in Groningen now... poor lads and Scheila now have quite some travelling to do!

Huck_Phlem - 28-2-2009 at 06:42

Wouldn't that be cool if we could all go to the same show together? Man if I won the Lottery I would at least invite you guys and buy plane tickets. Weather you made it or not would be up to you of course. That would be fun.

BBP - 28-2-2009 at 09:08

Oh yeah... though I have been to the same concerts as other forum members before, and failed to meet them. We'd arranged a Zappa Forum Meeting just before the 2006 Amsterdam show, and every single person who was supposed to be there, forgot about that. I lost track of time when I was talking to a very nice Dweezil fan in the VIP box.

punknaynowned - 25-11-2009 at 23:36

Finally Philly!!!
1976 10 29

01 Purple Lagoon
02 Stinkfoot
03 Poodle Lecture
04 Dirty Love
05 Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
06 Tryin' To Grow A Chin
07 The Torture Never Stops
08 City Of Tiny Lights
09 You Didn't Try To Call Me
10 Manx Needs Women
11 Titties 'n' Beer
12 Black Napkins
13 Advance Romance
14 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me
15 Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink
16 Would You Go All The Way
17 Daddy Daddy Daddy
18 What Kind Of Girl
19 Dinah-Moe Humm
20 Purple Lagoon
21 Stranded In The Jungle
22 Find Her Finer
23 Camarillo Brillo
24 Muffin Man

polydigm - 26-11-2009 at 21:47

I've already ordered my copy of Philly. I'm not that impressed with the set list though. It's Zappa Light.

punknaynowned - 27-11-2009 at 12:19

You might think so, but the AUD tape is pretty great.
It'll be sweet to get a Soundboard even if it is boosted to max levels like Buffalo...
IMO, all these vaulternative show releases have 3 or 4 stand out tracks and the rest is 'standard' live zappa (Wazoo was the exception to this so far as far as I can tell).
For instance, though there are a number of things also found on ZINY there are also a number of things that aren't there like Find Her Finer and You didn't Try To Call Me. Black Napkins runs over 18 minutes!
Bianca is a real treat on these last two as well!!

For me it'll be like going back to my childhood and listening to The King Biscuit Flour Hour on the radio late at night with that warm '70's FM sound

[Edited on 27-11-09 by punknaynowned]

Huck_Phlem - 28-11-2009 at 21:52

I think the drum mix on buffalo is the best mix of drums I have ever heard! Quite a treat for any drummer to have.

polydigm - 19-11-2011 at 00:16

My Carnegie has shipped. Yoo hoo!!

polydigm - 30-11-2011 at 07:18

Definitely a good release this one. Having a Zappa evening next week with my brother and a mate featuring Carnegie.

BBP - 30-11-2011 at 10:35

Looking forward to it!

How are the liner notes? Any interesting information in that?

polydigm - 1-12-2011 at 01:00

The notes are okay, there are no particular highlights. The big deal is the recording itself which is pretty good. I'm impressed anyway. Gail doesn't sound too far out like she can some times.

It's funny that Don got a blank orange panel where they gallery the individual players but his picture is included elsewhere, so he wasn't left out. I'll bet the issue was that they had difficulty finding appropriate pictures of the correct vintage. Don looks like he was photoshopped in, which means they went out of their way to include him, as opposed to snubbing him like some of the zappa.com freaks seem to think.

KAPTKIRK - 18-7-2012 at 05:37

That is the general consenses over there zappa.com and I've heard about GZ not wanting anything to do with DP after some slight he said or did.I don't think I'd get along with GZ had we been in the same place for awhile.That GZ speak is like a hippie on Lord Of The Rings majic dust.I can't make sense of half of it.That "watch the skies" stuff is just silly,Cosmic Debri talk.I think FZ married a latent zircon encrusted hippie with a poodle fetish! She seems to vasilate between Good Gail.:forumsmiley123: and Bad Gail.:forumsmiley103: when it comes to alumni.DP never did get writing credit for King Kong.I should get a chance to ask him on the 26th of July whats up with that.Anyone got any good questions for any of the Grandmothers I can corral into a conversation?

Attachment: GM2012 BWCloseUps.jpg (122kB)
This file has been downloaded 443 times

punknaynowned - 19-7-2012 at 07:04

ask them who came up with the line,
'Take that progress and stick it under a rock!'

ask Nappy, to give an anecdote about the origins of San Ber'dino, or
to all of them, where was the first Holiday Inn?
or Howard Johnson's?
Don and Bunk have records together, and I wonder if they do anything like Don's Agon

KAPTKIRK - 19-7-2012 at 09:14

Sure,I was in the Palamino one time right after I heard San Ber'dino.I had to stop in and check it out.Had chicken wire around the stage to stop the bottles.No shit! It's not in San Bernadino it's in Bakersfield.The county seat is in San Bernadino.Hence,"they gave him 30 days in San Ber'dino" as the locals call it.That's where the jail is. {-

BBP - 27-11-2012 at 18:04

I missed ZPZ on this tour. Didn't know they were coming. To Utrecht. Which I specifically asked them to come to since it's in the middle of The Netherlands and therefore not an infernal drive to any visitor from any part of the country.

Insert brain here.

polydigm - 27-11-2012 at 23:00

That's got to hurt. Were you not reading any of the threads about upcoming tour venues? I lost interest after discovering they weren't coming to Adelaide last April.

BBP - 28-11-2012 at 13:24

I was but I only ever read about the US on those. They didn't mention Europe. And I don't go around checking Dweezil's website, that messes up my cookies.

polydigm - 28-11-2012 at 23:47

Messes up your cookies? How?

I can understand you not wanting to go to Dweezil's site given he's not your favourite person anymore.

BBP - 29-11-2012 at 10:20

Oh the cookie thing was just a bad joke.

BBP - 14-3-2014 at 12:47

Gail's ill in hospital, hope she'll be all-right...

BBP - 19-4-2014 at 11:37

Rest in peace Billy Mundi...

BBP - 24-9-2014 at 12:01

Roxy video is completed and will be released soon. Downloads of YCFOSA are coming soon. Hell has frozen over.

BBP - 29-11-2016 at 10:06

Hell's truly appeared to have frozen over now that Dweezil will be headlining Zappanale.

BBP - 24-9-2017 at 12:56

It may sound like a bad joke:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/21/entertainment/frank-zappa-hologra...

BBP - 10-10-2021 at 20:01

Played the Simpsons Season 2 DVD with commentary, when I reached the episode "Bart's Dog Gets An F" - the one where Santa's Little Helper rips Marge's 6-generation plaid to bits and is sent to dog training.

There's a scene where Homer lets Marge place an ad in which he says "best dog in the world, says "I love you" on command.
Later Homer has someone who's interested on the phone and he says "we don't want to get rid of him, but we're emigrating to a country where dogs are illegal." When whoever is on the line requests to hear the dog say "I love you", Homer acts it out.

In the commentary, Matt Groening says:
"I got to know Frank Zappa shortly after this episode aired, and that was his favorite moment."
About 17:50 into the epidode.

GrayGhost - 16-9-2022 at 19:42

Happy Birthday Valley Girl

https://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zappas-satirical-acid-tongued-valle...

Eddie RUKidding - 17-9-2022 at 00:04

Good to see you on here Gray

polydigm - 17-9-2022 at 02:19

Hey GG, how's it going?

GrayGhost - 17-9-2022 at 08:59

Cheers lads

Two Months of Black Sabbath and Roger Water's have taken their toll.....

The little woman intervened, and an e mail to BBP later, here I am.....

GrayGhost - 17-9-2022 at 11:10

THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION IN THE THERAPY ROOM

A clinical vignette exploring The Mothers of Invention's studio album We're Only in It for the Money
with groups of child, tween, and teen psychiatric patients.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkY8MqAuuk

Eddie RUKidding - 18-9-2022 at 00:08

^ I would never have guessed but I guess makes sense, wonderful that it seems to be getting results for them.

polydigm - 18-9-2022 at 06:38

We're Only in It for the Money did a world of good for my mental health around the age of nineteen.

Plook - 24-10-2022 at 18:29

Interesting, on side note I use to listen to the FZ guitar solo albums when I needed to organize my thoughts, seemed to work real well for me...:)

GrayGhost - 8-11-2022 at 07:11

Anybody else seen this FZ youtubery?

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow (Visualizer)

Frank Zappa - Peaches En Regalia (Visualizer)

polydigm - 10-11-2022 at 15:35

^ A wee bit weird for me.

Plook - 16-11-2022 at 23:53

^^^That was disturbing in a way

GrayGhost - 17-11-2022 at 07:09

Here's another.....

Flakes (Visualizer)

Plook - 18-11-2022 at 19:13

https://youtu.be/HNEtjL_qOl8

Frank Zappa, George Duke - Uncle Remus (Visualizer)

Plook - 18-11-2022 at 19:14

:puzzled:

GrayGhost - 18-11-2022 at 20:59

GrayGhost - 29-11-2022 at 07:34

I'm The Slime.....

ursinator2.0 - 14-12-2022 at 19:29

Quote: Originally posted by GrayGhost  
THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION IN THE THERAPY ROOM

A clinical vignette exploring The Mothers of Invention's studio album We're Only in It for the Money
with groups of child, tween, and teen psychiatric patients.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkY8MqAuuk
[/url]

Phaze Two(?):
TEEN PSYCHIATRIC PATIENTS REACT TO FRANK ZAPPA
TEEN PSYCHIATRIC PATIENTS REACT TO FRANK ZAPPA # 2

GrayGhost - 22-12-2022 at 08:54

In celebration of FZ’s birthday, the audio version of 'The Real Frank Zappa Book'
is available for pre-order now only on Audible!

Coming January the 19th with Ahmet Zappa voicing the book.

Pre-order now:
https://adbl.co/RealFrankZappa

Plook - 29-12-2022 at 22:25

Wooo...That is a definite...:)

GrayGhost - 18-2-2023 at 10:09

Clickity Click….. :right arrow: Frank Zappa - Inca Roads (Visualizer) :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

jimmied - 9-3-2023 at 15:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kwAGNFKvc

Zappa Warehouse: Chapter One

posted 19 hours ago :bald:

GrayGhost - 10-3-2023 at 07:00

Quote: Originally posted by jimmied  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kwAGNFKvc

Zappa Warehouse: Chapter One

posted 19 hours ago :bald:

Well, that's a nice blast from the past, cheers Jimmie…..I'm lovin' chapter two

Eddie RUKidding - 10-3-2023 at 22:57

^Is great to see but shame the sounds is down so much :bald:

ursinator2.0 - 25-4-2023 at 19:30

The new owners of all things Zappa are offering an email newsletter service now:

https://digital.umusic.com/frank-zappa-email-sign-up?fbclid=IwAR2XNerXB435lVn0eue_sxdk-t8xKrTYNOk32p2tK1BEi-3znIyfLVrXNYo

tinkamok - 26-4-2023 at 14:46

BBC sounds have a short programme called "Great LIves "about FZ featuring FZ obsessive John Robins ( comedian and presenter of BBC radio 5 live show Fridays 1pm - 4Pm with FZ music in the background ...sometimes )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001l97r

tinkamok - 3-6-2023 at 16:03

New preview vid from Funky Nothingness on youtube .
Khaki sack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy58sBVz-JE

tinkamok - 14-6-2023 at 08:52

Latest preview vid and a brief interview with the mighty Ian Underwood -
https://youtu.be/-40G0Ck87OY

tinkamok - 21-6-2023 at 12:36

This now on Soundcloud -
Frank Zappa & The Mothers with Rahsaan Roland Kirk at The Boston Globe Jazz Festival 1-31-69

https://soundcloud.com/user-100188942/frank-zappa-the-mothers-with-r...

tinkamok - 15-7-2023 at 09:27

Steve Vai talks for over 50 mins about his time with FZ in this great interview from Chanan Hanspal , who has done some nice youtube videos .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmLtrOsZww

tinkamok - 21-7-2023 at 19:04

From the UMe/Zappa mailing list come this ...................
"The Zappa team has been thinking about creating a new Frank Zappa immersive experience to bring this community together, and we're thinking that a cruise vacation might be the best way to do that. In order to do this right, we want to build this together. So please sound off on the below survey what would make this event the vacation of a lifetime. "

Survey here :- https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZappaCruise

Eddie RUKidding - 21-7-2023 at 23:58

^land Lover here, Gastro and a show I don't think so :biggrin:

Plook - 22-7-2023 at 00:58

I took the survey and took advantage of the “open comment” section to voice my disgust with the removal of the Zappa Forum since there has been nowhere else to do so, I encourage everyone to follow suit if you are so inclined to do so…Here are the comment questions I replied too;

Q - Tell us more about how you show your love for Frank Zappa
Other (specify)

A - I had a thread post on the forum called "Plook on Tour" since I traveled the country for work and used it to meet people for concerts and meals. The worst act of unkindness committed by the Admins was destroying a site that was laced in the history of many Zappa fans and the ones that have passed we lost the record of them, truly a crime against the Zappa community that is and was a bad act, bad form, bad idea…Just horrific.

Q - Could you share your favorite memory or connection (a song, a show, a moment) to Frank Zappa?

A - The Zappa Forum the ultimate resource for everything Zappa and beyond, the loss of which is a true tragedy

Q - In addition to musical artists on the lineup, who/what else would you like to see aboard? (ie. your favorite podcasts, comedians, etc.)

A - Somebody that could reinstate the Zappa Forum I can't believe you all were dumb enough to delete the archive.

Q - What show, content, or activity would make this a 100% can't miss event?

A - Getting the Zappa Forum back

Eddie RUKidding - 22-7-2023 at 06:48

Well done Plook

tinkamok - 22-7-2023 at 09:16

Good work Plook .
I have put "Please reinstate the Zappa forum " in every possible space .
Not hopefull though .

BBP - 22-7-2023 at 11:21

Great Plook, thanks for guiding me to the opportunity.

I think a Zappa cruise fits in somehow with Dweezil's theme "What The Hell Was I Thinking".

tinkamok - 25-7-2023 at 18:20

This is on Youtube and looks a little interesting - https://www.youtube.com/@EmileChill/videos

tinkamok - 27-7-2023 at 14:11

Tha latest "funky Nothingness" youtube video is out now and has a interview with Ian Underwood .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HZuXPHFpws

ursinator2.0 - 31-7-2023 at 23:20

And cheapness in the case of a monster movie has nothing to do with the budget of the film—although it helps:
Frank Zappa - Zappa Galaxy - Theatrical trailer - Sci-fi Movie 2023 :puzzled:

Plook - 1-8-2023 at 00:07

ursinator2.0 that was mind blowing and I kept getting trailer clips feed to me I saw at least 5 or more, I can't believe it but I want to see this...lol...:lol:

polydigm - 1-8-2023 at 01:10

What the fuck was that?

BBP - 1-8-2023 at 21:01

OMG that's terrifying. No wonder there's an actor's strike.

ursinator2.0 - 1-8-2023 at 21:33

Quote: Originally posted by polydigm  
What the fuck was that?

lol :biggrin:
Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
OMG that's terrifying. No wonder there's an actor's strike.

lol some more :biggrin:
Quote: Originally posted by Plook  
ursinator2.0 that was mind blowing and I kept getting trailer clips feed to me I saw at least 5 or more, I can't believe it but I want to see this...lol...:lol:

I'm not sure what to think about this but i like the idea of FZs first demand after waking up in some kind of afterlife: get me some cigarettes!
BTW: belated congrats for your marriage and best wishes to you both! :cool:

Plook - 1-8-2023 at 22:21

Thank you, even better he ask for cigarettes and the Obi-Wan Kenobi guy
says " I have cigarettes but no lighter we will have to wait until we get to the checkpoint"...OMG I almost peed my pants laughing...:lol:

Frank Zappa’s ‘Over-Nite Sensation’ Turns 50 With New Super Deluxe Edition

ursinator2.0 - 24-8-2023 at 19:53

Frank Zappa’s ‘Over-Nite Sensation’ Turns 50 With New Super Deluxe Edition

In celebration of 50 years of Frank Zappa’s widely-acclaimed Over-Nite Sensation, a newly expanded 50th anniversary edition will be released on November 3 via Zappa Records/UMe in a variety of formats, including a five-disc (4CD/1Blu-ray Audio) Super Deluxe Edition that showcases 88 tracks in total, featuring 57 previously unreleased tracks and mixes.

Shop the best of Frank Zappa’s discography on vinyl and more.

Produced and compiled by Ahmet Zappa and Zappa Vaultmeister Joe Travers, this new, expanded collection titled Over-Nite Sensation: 50th Anniversary Edition, boasts the 2012 remaster of the original album by Bob Ludwig, along with additional unreleased masters, highlights, and mix outtakes from the original 1973 sessions mastered by John Polito. Also included are two completely unreleased live concert recordings from 1973 showcasing the same band that recorded the classic album — one show captured at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles, and the other recorded at Cobo Hall in Detroit.

The Blu-ray contains the core album newly remixed in Dolby Atmos and 5.1 surround sound by Karma Auger and Erich Gobel at Studio1LA, the same team behind the acclaimed Dolby Atmos and surround mixes of 2022’s Waka/Wazoo release, plus it offers Zappa’s original 4-channel Quadraphonic mix (available again for the first time since 1973) as well as the hi-res stereo 2012 remaster at both 24-bit/192kHz and 24-bit/96kHz. The lavish, Super Deluxe Edition box is rounding out with a 48-page booklet and unseen photos from the album cover shoot by Sam Emerson, along with liner notes and new essays by noted audiophile journalist Mark Smotroff and Travers.

Fifty-Fifty (Basic Tracks, Take 7)

In 1973, Frank Zappa and The Mothers were once again on the move. Coming off a year laden with a pair of well-lauded high watermarks — July 1972’s jazz-fusion solo masterstroke Waka/Jawaka and November 1972’s big-band Mothers progression The Grand Wazoo — Zappa wanted to next convene another revised Mothers collective, rethink some long-throw compositional tracts, and begin exploring the differences inherent in the form and function of his songwriting. In turn, Zappa also decided to bring his own singing voice more to the lead vocal fore than ever before, as well as refine the scope of his guitar playing.

And thus, September 1973’s Over-Nite Sensation was born. A stone cold classic, Over-Nite Sensation has long been viewed by both the cognoscenti and layman as being a gateway album entry into the Zappaverse at large, serving as a mighty grand place to enter into the breach along with his follow-up March 1974 solo release, Apostrophe(‘). It was also the first album by Zappa to be released in Quadraphonic surround sound, an ever-evolving sonic medium Zappa would continue to explore throughout his career on the cutting edge.

Not only did Over-Nite Sensation signal a change in musical direction for The Mothers at large, but Zappa handled the bulk of the lead vocal duties and staked his claim as the album’s only guitarist. It was a new band with a new sound that resonated widely, eventually going gold in 1976. Over the ensuing years, almost every song on Over-Nite Sensation became indelible live staples and longstanding fan favorites, with “I’m The Slime,” “Fifty-Fifty,” “Zomby Woof,” and “Camarillo Brillo” immediately making their respective presences known in the setlist. In the here and now, 50 years on, Over-Nite Sensation remains both one of the top-tier highlights of the vast Zappa catalog as well as one of his most consistent bestsellers.

In addition to the Super Deluxe Edition box set, there will be two separate vinyl releases: a 2LP 180-gram black audiophile vinyl reissue with the album cut at 45 rpm for the first time ever from the original analog tape by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering in 2023 and a bonus 24” x 12” poster of the complete cover art and a limited edition 3LP deluxe color vinyl version pressed on clear vinyl with 4-color splatter with the album cut at 45 rpm on LPs 1 & 2 and a third LP with 35 minutes of bonus tracks culled from the box set, cut at 33 1/3 rpm by Bellman. The limited edition color pressing, which will also include the bonus 24” x 12” poster of the cover art, is available to pre-order now exclusively at Zappa.com, uDiscover Music and Sound of Vinyl.

Additionally, the Super Deluxe Edition will be available digitally, with all 88 tracks available in both hi-res 24-bit/96kHz and standard-res 16-bit/44.1kHz options. A standalone Dolby Atmos mix of the core album’s seven tracks will also be available on all major hi-res streaming services.

The new group of Mothers heard on Over-Nite Sensation was comprised of virtuoso musicians rooted in jazz (keyboardist George Duke, violinist Jean-Luc Ponty, drummer Ralph Humphrey, and trumpeter Sal Marquez) and serious music (wind instrumentalist Ian Underwood and percussionist Ruth Underwood) alike, all polished off with the Fowler brothers duly in tow (with Bruce Fowler on trombone, and Tom Fowler on bass). As a result, the instrumentation of this aurally palpable Mothers lineup was akin to having a mini orchestra in a rock format — and Zappa utilized them brilliantly, crafting arrangements for existing material like “Cosmik Debris” and “Montana” in addition to writing a large number of new compositions to maximize their strengths.

The recording sessions at Bolic Sound and Whitney Studios were sweetened by the addition of some now-iconic guest vocalists. The truly crazy, over-the-top vocal stylings of Ricky Lancelotti catapulted songs like “Fifty-Fifty” and “Zomby Woof” into the stratosphere. For his part, Kin Vassy (of Kenny Rogers and The First Edition) added numerous, tasty tidbits all throughout. But perhaps the most legendary guest turns of them all would be those by Tina Turner and The Ikettes. With Zappa tracking at Ike Turner’s Bolic Sound studio in Inglewood, Calif., it only seemed logical that Tina and Frank’s paths would eventually cross. Although famously uncredited, Tina and The Ikettes’ background vocals were draped all throughout the record and are undeniably unique —and spot-on perfect. If you dropped the needle on Over-Nite Sensation for the first time in 1973, it was immediately apparent something new, different, and exciting was happening in Zappa’s ever-expanding musical universe. The material was funky, funny, challenging, and mighty — and, yes, even more accessible than his output of the prior few years.

Zappa and The Mothers hit the road in full force in 1973 by touring auditoriums, theaters, and college venues, looking to tap into a new audience as well as cater to the hardcores. These concerts would primarily consist of new compositions blended with some rearranged older tunes — an approach that was very typical for Zappa, who always prioritized the new. You can hear some of those immediate results via the 27 previously unreleased live tracks included from the above-noted Hollywood and Detroit shows. On March 23 at the Hollywood Palladium, fans got early tastes of the “sort-of” guru blues of “Cosmik Debris” and the sleazy, slow-rolling funky grease of “Curse Of The Zomboids (I’m The Slime).” Nary a few months later on May 12 at Cobo Hall in Detroit, the odds-busting, horn-driven instrumental sneer of “Fifty-Fifty” and the “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow,” “Nanook Rubs It,” and “St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast” troika medley were all served up with patented Zappa narrative aplomb.

Over-Nite Sensation indeed opened new commercial doors for Frank Zappa, but the maestro himself would not be sucked down into the corporate conformity ooze as he continued following his own muse all throughout the 1970s, and beyond. This 50th anniversary Super Deluxe Edition of Over-Nite Sensation puts an expanded stamp on all the visceral, tall-in-the-saddle tales recounting the finer points of dental floss farming, mindless video drones, and poncho-wearing lotharios — all of it acting as a pretext for what was to come, not to mention cementing the odds that Zappa still had lots more to say.

polydigm - 3-9-2023 at 02:20

I've given in on this one and preordered it direct from the Zappa Shop. The prices I'm seeing elsewhere are just ridiculous.

Calvin - 3-9-2023 at 03:43

Quote: Originally posted by polydigm  
I've given in on this one and preordered it direct from the Zappa Shop. The prices I'm seeing elsewhere are just ridiculous.

Good luck! I ordered Waka/Wazoo from them and I eventually had to cancel my order because they kept delaying and delaying, while the people who ordered elsewhere got theirs pretty close to the release date.

polydigm - 4-9-2023 at 14:33

Now I’m feeling really good about this.

Plook - 5-9-2023 at 16:47

I pulled the trigger on the last 3 releases just after release and received them rather quickly, I may do it again this time.

polydigm - 13-9-2023 at 18:41

@Plook From the Zappa Store?

Based on Calvin’s story above and advice from others, I cancelled my Zappa Store preorder and preordered it from a local store for the cheapest price I’ve seen. This is only possible because Universal now owns the vault and FZ is just one of the many artists they distribute. Previously, with the ZFT, distribution to Australia was awful.

Plook - 15-9-2023 at 21:13

Well that is great news I remember reading about the down under struggles with receiving releases...:)

tinkamok - 16-9-2023 at 19:01

Chanan Hanspal interviews little Stevie Vai , who loves to talk about his time with FZ.
This is great .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOO4WRT_tw

tinkamok - 16-9-2023 at 19:03

An earlier interview with Mr Vai that is awesome imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmLtrOsZww&t=385s

Check out Chanan Hanspals youtube site for some very nice and insightful FZ stuff .
https://www.youtube.com/@ChananHanspal

Eddie RUKidding - 16-9-2023 at 21:01

^ good stuff

polydigm - 17-9-2023 at 22:59

I'm not a fan of Chanan Hanspal's music, but his videos are often really interesting. Though, I get the feeling sometimes, that his analysis is a bit too detailed, like trying to understand muscle movements by investigating the quark structure of the potassium nucleus.

tinkamok - 30-9-2023 at 15:54

Sadly "Over-nite Sensation " 50th has been delayed until Nov 17th .

Eddie RUKidding - 30-9-2023 at 20:40

Bummer, in the summer (downunder)

polydigm - 2-10-2023 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by Eddie RUKidding  
Bummer, in the summer (downunder)
Be a loyal plastic robot ...

My local supplier hasn't announced a delay yet. They are however sold out, so I'm really glad I pulled the pin when I did.

Eddie RUKidding - 2-10-2023 at 08:34

Will be my Xmas present, will probably order thru JBHiFI

Mrs Eddie can pay lol

tinkamok - 7-10-2023 at 10:37

More insight from Chanan Hanspal and Steve Vai - Alien Orifice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_EV83qhssQ

ursinator2.0 - 16-10-2023 at 14:17

Another one from the upcoming overnight sensation anniversary release:

Face Down ("I'm The Slime" Demo)

ursinator2.0 - 1-11-2023 at 19:22

Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation Series (Ep. 1: A Conversation with Joe Travers + Michael Mesker)

Dirty Love (With Quad Guitar)

ursinator2.0 - 15-11-2023 at 20:06

Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation Series (Ep. 2: Art Direction)

The ZappaCast Presents: The Over-Nite Sensation 50th Anniversary Celebration

ursinator2.0 - 26-2-2024 at 14:37

Available August 22, 2024 (new cover)

The saying goes that "God only gives you what you can handle." Well God didn't grow up in my atheist, Wiccan, fame-laden, oversexed, teetotalling, drug-free, cloistered, chaotic, non-communicative, workaholic, feral-feeling house.

For Moon Unit, daughter of musician Frank Zappa and his 'manager', Gail, processing a life so unique, so punctuated by the whims of creative urges, the tastes of popular culture and the calculus of celebrity, has at times been eviscerating. But it is her deep sense of humour and unshakeable humility that keeps her - and this memoir - pinned to the ground.

A child-star at age 14 after her accidental international hit single (recorded with her father), 'Valley Girl', turned her into a reluctant celebrity, Moon Unit Zappa's life has been utterly extraordinary from her birth in 1967 into a family that was already blessed/cursed as music royalty thanks to the acknowledged genius of Frank. But what are the consequences of growing up in a family who spend most of their time naked arguing about sexual/extra-marital liaisons and practising white magic in a free-for-all state of nonconformist, virtuoso abandon?

Earth to Moon is a reckoning with self-esteem, the ghosts of the past and a mother and a father who, in the process of leaving their mark upon on the world, scarred their first daughter on home soil. Brutally self-deprecating and funny as hell, it belies a rose-tinted perspective on the 70s and 80s west coast American scene, from within the belly of the beast of the rock and roll world. :cool:

BBP - 26-2-2024 at 20:31

Kind of interested in hearing what you think - as I couldn't get through America The Beautiful I'm not sure I'd buy it though.

Plook - 26-2-2024 at 22:51

Sounds interesting and a little cringe worthy at the same time.

ursinator2.0 - 3-3-2024 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
... - as I couldn't get through America The Beautiful ...

What is the problem with that one? Doesn't she get you hooked by her writing style or don't you simply like the overall concept of transforming FZ into a semi-fictional character?
Regarding the upcoming book: I don't expect too much for the simple reason that FZ used to be quite invisible to his family - either he was touring or he barricaded himself in his basement laboratory. On the other hand it could be interesting to learn what exactly that did to his family.

ursinator2.0 - 8-6-2024 at 07:43

West Hollywood to Declare June 10 as Frank Zappa Day

The City of West Hollywood has declared June 10, 2024, as “Frank Zappa Day” to honor the legendary musician, activist, and counterculture icon’s invaluable contributions to music and culture in West Hollywood and beyond.

West Hollywood Mayor John M. Erickson will present the proclamation to Ahmet and Diva Zappa, the children of Frank and Gail Zappa, during a ceremony at the iconic Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip. The event is scheduled for Monday, June 10, at 4 p.m. PDT.

Frank Zappa, renowned for his pioneering work in music and his outspoken views on social and political issues, left an indelible mark on the cultural landscape. His band, The Mothers of Invention, played a memorable three-hour concert at Whisky a Go Go on July 23, 1968. Although plans for an album release from that night were never fully realized, the performance will finally see the light of day with the upcoming release of “Whisky a Go Go, 1968” on June 21. The collection, produced by Ahmet Zappa and Zappa Vaultmeister Joe Travers, includes every note from Zappa’s three distinct sets that evening.

The proclamation ceremony at Whisky a Go Go not only commemorates Frank Zappa’s contributions but also celebrates the release of this historic recording, bringing full circle a moment in music history that has remained unreleased for over five decades.

“Frank Zappa Day” is a tribute to a man whose innovative spirit and relentless creativity continue to inspire generations of musicians and fans worldwide.

The Whisky has been called the first real American discothèque and it’s one of the most famous rock ‘n’ roll landmarks in the United States. It first opened January 11, 1964, in an old bank building that had been remodeled into a short-lived club called the Party by a former Chicago policeman, Elmer Valentine. The Whisky a Go Go opened with a live band led by Johnny Rivers and a short-skirted female DJ spinning records between sets from a suspended cage at the right of the stage. When the girl DJ danced during Rivers’ set, the audience thought it was part of the act and the concept of go-go dancers in cages was born. Rivers rode the Whisky-born “go-go” craze to national fame with records recorded partly “live at the Whisky.” The Miracles recorded the song “Going to a Go-Go” in 1966 (which was covered in 1982 by The Rolling Stones), and Whisky a Go Go franchises sprang up all over the country.

BBP - 8-6-2024 at 19:40

Whooooooo!