PackardGoose.com Forums

Zappa Forum

polydigm - 20-11-2008 at 22:12

I figured we should have a thread dedicated to the Zappa forum and although I can remember discussions about it happening all over the place here, and I did search around, I'm pretty sure there isn't one yet.

Anyway, first business of this new thread is that the zappa.com forum is unavailable at the moment so it seems that Mikey's busy working on setting up the new forum software and I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

BBP - 20-11-2008 at 23:13

There was a thread "Nice to see so many Zappa-forumers here as well" and a bunch of others spoke of it too. But the aforementioned thread is now locked because it became an Isaac-vs-Zombie thread.

I just tried to log in. It said my password couldn't be converted, and I had to require a new password.

Then I tried to require a new password. It said I was not authorised to request a new password. :regan:

aquagoat - 21-11-2008 at 06:50

Quote:
Originally posted by polydigm
Mikey's busy working on setting up the new forum software and I'm very curious to see how it turns out.
half the accounts will be deleted, as usual.:D

BBP - 21-11-2008 at 15:25

Actually mine's still there, but I understand Jimmie D is banned for posting something on Project/Object.

scallopino - 23-11-2008 at 05:25

Those bastards!

MTF - 23-11-2008 at 09:30

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Actually mine's still there, but I understand Jimmie D is banned for posting something on Project/Object.

Yeah. Mikey came into the chatroom tonight. I asked him if there was any way jimmie could be reinstated, and his answer was "Nope."

Mikey was also quite candid about how fed up he is with Isaac. There could very well be more banning in the near future.

Word to the wise: now's not a good time to stir up shit over there.

But Bonny, you'll be happy to know that Mikey liked your suggestion of trimming some of the dead accounts. He was doing that as we were chatting.

BBP - 23-11-2008 at 14:22

Ah OK... at least that's something... It took me 15 minutes to count all the users as the list only shows 50 at a time and you can only skip 3 pages at once.

I've had the OK from Jimmie to start a Jimmie D Fan Support Club. Details will follow later.

jabba - 24-11-2008 at 00:17

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP

First off, thanks for having me since I've been banned at the Zappa forum.

All weekend I've been staring at the zappa forum wondering why I had been banned along with jimmie d. I've emailed them over and over and they won't give me an answer. The whole thing really has me messed up. I know that you (BBP) probably didn't appreciate the pictures of genitalia that I posted, but that's the only thing I may have done wrong and I only posted them to ease up some of the tension over isaac. And then this jimmie d fiasco with posts and threads being deleted, I don't know if I want to be a part of that place anymore even if they do lift the ban. I don't even know if I'll be spending any more money on their wares! Why should I give people like that money?

Any ways, I just signed up and I've already seen a lot of familiar faces, so it looks like I have a new zappa forum to post in!

BBP - 24-11-2008 at 13:36

Oh, we have everyone, don't worry. Just stay kind to all the members, and don't post spam.

feetlightup - 25-11-2008 at 21:32

Jabba, you're back now, aren't you? I feel like I've seen you posting recently. Just an administrative error, or were you really banned, or what?

BBP - 26-11-2008 at 15:44

He's been forgiven.

jabba - 4-12-2008 at 05:37

What's up with that crazy keefycubagain guy running around being a jackass? He keeps asking for specific facts or dates and then ridicules people for materializing them. What a douche!!

BBP - 4-12-2008 at 11:02

He's Zombie. No way he's who he claims to be.

polydigm - 5-12-2008 at 07:17

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbaWhat's up with that crazy keefycubagain guy running around being a jackass? ...

He's on my foe list already.

AbamiEdo - 26-12-2008 at 21:20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by jabbaWhat's up with that crazy keefycubagain guy running around being a jackass? ...

He's on my foe list already.

Is he the person who finds it necessary to include his sexual preferences in every post? By the way Jabba, I find the genitalia pictures extremely funny. :lol:

BBP - 27-12-2008 at 15:21

Hey! Could he be Ellen DeGeneres?

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's Zombie, although by the length of his rants, Trendy even seems to be a possible candidate.

Pappawas1975 - 27-12-2008 at 20:33

The Zappa forum has gone downhill quite a bit since the old days, pre crash. IMO, at least.

Alot more friendly over at Zappateers! And so much more beneficial.

Not forgetting The Goose of course BB!

polydigm - 27-12-2008 at 23:07

I'm finding it a bit boring at the moment although it's a lot more pleasant since Isaac was banned.

BBP - 28-12-2008 at 16:58

Yeah. Now that the subjects of Jimmie D, Isaac and cover bands are seemingly completely banned, it's like we have nothing to talk about there.

punknaynowned - 30-12-2008 at 08:00

don't worry B, I'll be back soon and reveal a new persona that everyone can love to hate:bouncy:

BBP - 30-12-2008 at 09:23

Oh dear! What happened to you then? :)

polydigm - 30-12-2008 at 23:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappawas1975
The Zappa forum has gone downhill quite a bit since the old days, pre crash. IMO, at least.

When I first came to the Zappa Forum my Zappa involvement was a very personal one. Then I discovered all these interesting web sites and all kinds of interesting stories and interesting people that I could discuss these things with. It seems to me that kind of novelty can't last and I don't think the forum's gone downhill in the mean time I just think I'm personally over it. Maybe something similar happened to you.

BBP - 31-12-2008 at 13:15

Either way the Z-forum has been down for a few hours now.

Pappawas1975 - 31-12-2008 at 19:58

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappawas1975

When I first came to the Zappa Forum my Zappa involvement was a very personal one. Then I discovered all these interesting web sites and all kinds of interesting stories and interesting people that I could discuss these things with. It seems to me that kind of novelty can't last and I don't think the forum's gone downhill in the mean time I just think I'm personally over it. Maybe something similar happened to you.

Yeah, pretty much.

punknaynowned - 1-1-2009 at 18:18

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Oh dear! What happened to you then? :)

back on the internet. more free time available.
the unfinished project was taping and uploading and posting cruising, but wasn't able to coordinate the SOUND when I had the camera ...
so feel sheepish about the promise of it without the follow through

BBP - 1-1-2009 at 20:40

Oh yeah, I know that... now that we have ADSL and I have a camera and stuff, I thought I'd be able to publish a lot of music. But somehow I never did.

BBP - 3-3-2009 at 15:52

Anyway I'm on Zappa Forum Hiatus now, after Flea's topic was deleted.

punknaynowned - 3-3-2009 at 16:27

what happened?

BBP - 3-3-2009 at 19:22

Flea posted a topic "Why was Jimmie D banned?" I replied to this topic, and mailed the reply to Flea "just in case".

Now the topic is gone. It doesn't show up in my recent-post list. Something is horribly wrong at the Zap-forum... and I've just stumbled on one of its symptoms.

punknaynowned - 4-3-2009 at 06:49

!
!
!
!
!
!

what did you say?
are you stirring up trouble again B?
jk
it's just the same kind of petulant bullshit as with dweezil toward andre: they don't want to be reminded

BBP - 4-3-2009 at 13:39

Yeah... Some things are just not tolerable on a site that's supposed to be about "free speech". The sheer fact that subjects like Jimmie D and Isaac are now "forbidden" is ridiculous.

Galoot-Co-Log-Nuh - 7-3-2009 at 22:52

Hey Bonns...
Was wondering what happened to you over at the Z-forum.
Doug told me about what happened with the jimmie d thread.
I hope that things will change for the better over there.
I was away for a week when all this happened.
I'll bounce back and forth between forums just so I can say "Hi" to you.
I also miss our Saturday Morning Chats....:(
All The Best!!!
Jon

BBP - 8-3-2009 at 12:29

Aw dear Jon... Don't worry, I have something up my sleeve. But there's something else as well: the official Sierra game forums are closing down, and I'm a great fan of Sierra games (Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, Phantasmagoria, Shivers, King's Quest etc). Some of its more oriented fans have started up new forums, and I've joined 3 of them, so I can keep contact, and discuss the games with other players. And as they are new forums, they'll need work to build them up. So right now there's much more around me than Zappa.

Galoot-Co-Log-Nuh - 19-3-2009 at 06:39

I love "you don't know jack" series by Sierra....Pro Pilot too!!
Maybe I'll stop by in the next few days!!!
Cheers!!!
Jon...:-*

BBP - 19-3-2009 at 10:03

Hey, I've never heard of those...

Galoot-Co-Log-Nuh - 29-3-2009 at 17:31

Is it me or does the Zappa Forum feel like it isn't as active as say a year ago?

BBP - 29-3-2009 at 18:41

Yeah... indeed I think so too. I guess the hardcore has all gone out, possibly to KUR

Huck_Phlem - 6-4-2009 at 06:31

I pretty much just go there to hijack photo links and post them on other forums! :-D

BBP - 6-4-2009 at 20:26

:D I still spend time there a couple of times a day... hijacking the What Did You Do Today thread with all the news of my latest second-hand shopping sprees and my latest injuries...

polydigm - 11-10-2009 at 02:13

Long time no see everybody. Am I the only one who can't connect to zappa.com at the moment? I keep getting an SQL error, something about too many connections.

BBP - 11-10-2009 at 11:26

I get that error too.

polydigm - 11-10-2009 at 20:57

The Zappa forum is still broken, I wonder if Gail pulled the plug?

MTF - 12-10-2009 at 03:19

I'm wondering what happened with Ryko. Talk about broken...

polydigm - 12-10-2009 at 09:14

Quote:
Originally posted by MTF: I'm wondering what happened with Ryko. Talk about broken...

Fill me in, is there something I've missed? It's been a long time since I actually bought anything from Ryko as there's nothing left that's relevant to buy that I haven't got already.

polydigm - 12-10-2009 at 22:04

It's back, with no obvious explanation.

MTF - 13-10-2009 at 19:34

Quote:
Fill me in, is there something I've missed? It's been a long time since I actually bought anything from Ryko as there's nothing left that's relevant to buy that I haven't got already.

If you go to Ryko's site and search for "zappa," it returns basically nothing.

I don't want to speculate about what might have happened, but clearly something happened...

polydigm - 13-10-2009 at 21:50

Quote:
Originally posted by MTF
Quote:
Originally posted by polydigm: Fill me in, is there something I've missed? It's been a long time since I actually bought anything from Ryko as there's nothing left that's relevant to buy that I haven't got already.
If you go to Ryko's site and search for "zappa," it returns basically nothing.

I don't want to speculate about what might have happened, but clearly something happened...
That is weird, I'll have to remember to check with JB Hi Fi next time I'm in town to see the state of their Zappa stock ... Actually, I just checked their web site and seems there are none of his albums in stock.

Huck_Phlem - 17-11-2009 at 02:14

Oh man you can never tell what is going to happen next when it comes to gail.

Calvin - 22-11-2009 at 07:10

The Zappa forum just irks me lately.

polydigm - 22-11-2009 at 21:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin: The Zappa forum just irks me lately.
There are several posters there giving me the shits at the moment that also post very often. I suppose I could put all of them on my foe list but that doesn't stop the active topics list filling up and looking like the place is really rocking only to spend too much time finding out there isn't much of interest to read.

I think that, even if the dick heads went away, most of us that have been there for more than a couple of years are bound to get jaded. The Zappa forum was a really interesting place for me when I first joined up four years ago but the novelty wears off after a while and I guess you can't blame anyone for that. But it's hard to tell how much the jading is due to the dick heads.

I can't agree with Doug about baiting Trendmonger, I wish Trendy would just fuck off. And a few of the other pains in the arse as well. And I suppose the lack of releases from the ZFT isn't helping matters.

So, yeah, the place is irking me too at the moment.

Calvin - 23-11-2009 at 01:47

I suppose some of it comes from being around the same topics too long.

BBP - 23-11-2009 at 08:15

Yep. I can't stand those Band Name Games. Why on earth do we need 5 of them?

punknaynowned - 23-11-2009 at 09:59

some people need an appointment with Michael Kenyon?
I'd say I'd do it, but I don't want to clean up after :-(

hahahhahahhahahahhahahhhahahahahahhaahaha!

polydigm - 23-11-2009 at 10:38

I think Tripmyster is Isaac. He's all over those Band Name Games like a rash and plays it with himself just like Isaac used to. And he posts in all those picture threads over and over again just like Isaac used to. And often, when you first log on his username is all over the Active Topics list.

Then there's Joel Osteen, who's just a complete waste of space who posts all over the place without really adding anything to the place and generally being down right negative.

Trendmonger is showing no sign of letting up from his mental illness.

Plook is a pain in the arse.

There are others too and I'm not really enjoying the Zappa Forum at the moment.

Calvin - 24-11-2009 at 03:03

And that asshole polydigm too! It's a wasteland.

MTF - 24-11-2009 at 04:18

shhh... he can hear you...

polydigm - 24-11-2009 at 05:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin: And that asshole polydigm too! It's a wasteland.
Have you been reading my CV?

BBP - 24-11-2009 at 08:47

Quote:
I think Tripmyster is Isaac. He's all over those Band Name Games like a rash and plays it with himself just like Isaac used to. And he posts in all those picture threads over and over again just like Isaac used to. And often, when you first log on his username is all over the Active Topics list.

Another Zappa Forum Conspiracy! Although I have to say your theory is pretty well-based, for as far as you can when you're not an admin.

MTF - 24-11-2009 at 19:52

A conspiracy of one...

As long as Isaac stays at the level of a minor irritant, I don't see any problem.

Let's just hope he doesn't puss up: that would be muy malo...

polydigm - 25-11-2009 at 00:29

Well, I could be wrong. Tripmyster signed up in 2003 and was a regular poster until 2004, then disappeared for 4 years, then reappeared in 2008 posting sporadically and now he's back posting with a vengeance, more than 500 posts just in November so far. Isaac did use alternate identities from time to time. They're posting style is almost identical. But your right MTF, at least there are no tantrums.

Calvin - 25-11-2009 at 04:27

Now Joel Osteen is banned and has come back as someone else. Blah.

polydigm - 25-11-2009 at 08:59

Okay Cal, how do you know Joel Osteen has been banned?

Edit: Right, I just logged on to the Z forum and there he is doing the Isaac over being banned. Fuck, that place is really starting to bug me.

[Edited on 25-11-09 by polydigm]

punknaynowned - 25-11-2009 at 23:14

the Joel Osteen character never bothered me. I thought he was funny often enough to overlook lapses in 'taste'. To tell ya the truth I don't think he was banned. I could be wrong.
I never suspected tripmyster to be isaac. But now you mention it there are a LOT of similarities.

I'm more inclined to think that are you serious is the same as eddie kidding, darn accordions, shadow knows, diesel dummie, saggy nuts. But maybe that is MY knee jerk reaction more than a conclusion based on accumulation of specific evidence. Yeah, style over substance, since there's no substance.

On a related tack I think is the growing number of people who use the internet as soapbox without having anything to say. No, I do that too, for fun. But the one's who put up stuff constantly that is not just devoid of substance but seems purposefully to get in the way, to be an obstruction, makes me itch.

"I know I have nothing to say, but I will keep you from being heard as well."
Shows not just a lack of courtesy, but an unwillingness to acknowledge (or a willfulness to disrupt) the purpose of the internet: tocommunicate ideas.

Seems the showcase of bullies who never learned to raise their hand first before saying something in school. Now they seek their vengeance on the internet
:(

polydigm - 26-11-2009 at 09:17

Interesting thoughts Punky. That's pretty much how I feel about the Z forum at the moment. When you get together with your mates in real time there's always a certain amount of piss taking involved but it's generally light hearted. I don't get that feeling from the Z forum. It's like you said, a lot of it is just empty and I'm fucking tired of the malice - implied or in your face.

There's not always a lot to say when I come to the Goose, but I never leave here with a bad taste in my mouth. Okay, there was a shortish period back when Isaac and the Zombie were first banned when they brought their shit here for a while, but that didn't last too long. I'm very thankful for this place.

BBP - 26-11-2009 at 09:24

Hey, you managed to make a new topic out of that post!

I'm having problems with the Z-forum myself. There's literally no interesting thought going on right now whatsoever.

How about we start our own Polydigm Vs BBP topic there? I'm sure we could debate for hours.

polydigm - 26-11-2009 at 13:40

I get your idea Bonny, but I couldn't bring myself to do it even in fun.

About that accidental thread, are you able to delete it, it's kind of pointless.

BBP - 26-11-2009 at 20:54

Oh sure. But the only way to make Zappa-forum fun for yourself is starting something you like, not by waiting for others.

polydigm - 26-11-2009 at 21:26

Oh, sorry, maybe I misunderstood your previous post. With "vs" I thought you meant a mock battle like the ones Isaac used to have with jpfunk. You're right about the fun though, you can either post in an interesting thread to keep it going or start one of your own. This brings me back to being a long term member. It's hard to avoid the "been there done that" syndrome after a while.

There was an interesting debate that broke out not so long ago about the nature of spirituality, but I've done that debate many times before at the Z forum and then Plook comes along and gets all pseudo scientific and I just got sick of it. I know, I sound like a depressing old man, but I'm not really feeling depressed at the moment. I've got plenty to keep me busy now that I have my own studio and a decent drummer to work with.

As a mark of how busy I've been, I recently went to watch an Adelaide band called Läther who play only Zappa material and they were really good. They played Echidna's Arf and I thought to myself, if he can do that, so can I. So, over the next day or so I transcribed the main melody from Echidna's Arf and by now I can almost play it without mistakes. I only transcribe and play Zappa's stuff as discipline and fun, I have no intention of performing it live. When I get a live band happening it will be to play my own music.

BBP - 27-11-2009 at 11:41

Wow! Great job Poly!

Ah... the old days... hai ku battles...