neat clip Bonny!

yesterday, listened to
Jazz From Hell
Does Humor Belong In Music?
LSO 1,2
Mothers of Prevention

and now I listen to
Guitar

I'm starting in the middle and working out.
next is Francesco and YCDTOSA 1
:lol:

BBP - 5-12-2012 at 12:10

I'm still busy with St Nicholas (sat up until 2:30 AM working on that book for her, and it's still not finished) but yesterday was FO and AF, now I'm playing WOIIFTM.
I'm really just a phoney but forgive me 'cause I'm stoned...

BBP - 5-12-2012 at 12:12

Oh, here's how you play it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4jXb3yhqo

polydigm - 5-12-2012 at 23:59

I'm not getting nanigo out of Fool. The beat is divided into three when it starts with a pretty straight 6/8. When the cymbal starts to double its pace, the second of each three is being emphasised with snare and this lilt is not the same as nanigo. To get nanigo you have to split 2 and 5 to get the effect of an even four playing in the same time as an even six. The bridge is where he goes from three on a beat to two on a beat, but this is a time change, they're not being played at the same time.

punknaynowned - 6-12-2012 at 07:18

so I finished Guitar, then Francesco yesterday, , YCDTOSA 1, Thing-Fish and now on
the next day
Helsinki Concert and Them Or Us

BBP - 6-12-2012 at 14:00

Yesterday was St Nick, so I only played WOIIFTM and LG. Now I'm playing Ruben (that is, GLS version up to track 13) and have HR and UM about to find their way to my player. On UM I do intend to skip the film dialogue. Especially disc 2 is quite an annoyance to listen to.

I love Cheap Thrills.

BBP - 6-12-2012 at 20:24

You're right about the Nanigo rhythm, Poly, thinking of it I don't hear it there either. Tssk Frank, fooling your audience...

Just finished BWS, playing WRMF and will move on to Chunga.

punknaynowned - 7-12-2012 at 08:01

and Broadway, Boulez, YCDTOSA 3 which is wrapping up right now.
'it is now nearly 1 AM CST time here, 7 December 2012 - really very little going on, the news is still SO bad that I've reverted to reading Renaissance history again. Writing out relations between powers, cities, states, offices, ideas. Usually non-relations and disruptions, but you get the idea. Why? Because their is so similar to ours in so many ways. And in the ways their time is different than ours it is striking and revealing for both us and them.
next Baby Snakes, best band, man from utopia, make a jazz noise, whew, that looks like a lot

[Edited on 7-12-12 by punknaynowned]

BBP - 7-12-2012 at 11:12

Yesterday I also played YCDTOSA 1/1, am now in Flo & Eddie period listening to FE and the Mudshark Arpeggio.

BBP - 7-12-2012 at 20:40

Listened to FE, 200M, JABFLA, W/J, now GW, coming on up OS/'.
Picture Dad reading this topic... :bald:

polydigm - 7-12-2012 at 22:48

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
You're right about the Nanigo rhythm, Poly, thinking of it I don't hear it there either. Tssk Frank, fooling your audience...
It's because of that bridge that starts at 00:59. It's a very sharply contrasted time change which I thought I had understood but it's more complex than I first realised. The point is that the main song has that 6/8 swing with 2 and 5 syncopated and the middle section has at the very least a different beat size. So you get the feeling something funny is going on. Each beat in the change is roughly equal to 3 16ths from the main part. I will figure it out.

punknaynowned - 8-12-2012 at 07:38

and that was a lot,
next up of course,
SATLTSADW, VCDTOSA 4, YAWYI, YCDTOSA 5, Return of the Son of,...

BBP - 8-12-2012 at 13:08

Played YCDTOSA vol 1 disc 2 last night, am now listening to OSFA's Inca Roads, have Roxy and BF on a pile besides me.

BBP - 8-12-2012 at 17:16

Played those, am on ZA, have ZINY and ST about to go.

BBP - 9-12-2012 at 12:21

Played the first disk of YCDTOSA 2, the Helsinki concert. I love the Don't You Ever Wash That Thing on that!
Thanks to Poly, I'm now playing Orchestral Favourites, TTR is also right besides me, for Sleep Dirt and YAWYI I'll have to go vinyl.

punknaynowned - 9-12-2012 at 13:09

didn't do so well yesterday ... needed other kinds of input ...
today I will finish ycdtosa 5 and return of the son, then ycdtosa 6, shut up...some more, and playground psychotics, if I get to it;
I also want to hear a new '81 show that appeared last week.
feel yucky today and yesterday, maybe I need to eat

BBP - 10-12-2012 at 12:07

Let's see, yesterday I did OF, TTR, Joe's Garage, Sleep Dirt, Sheik Yerbouti, YCDTOSA vol 2 disk 2.
Today: Just did Ship, which remains a favourite in spite of the dislike it gets at zappa.com. I'm not all to appreciative of the artwork though (OK OK I get it! You love your daughter! Allright already!). Am now melting at TMFU (What were you thinking, Frank?) and have Baby Snakes on the pile.
How unenthusiastic is Stick Together sung? Seriously this couldn't have been the best take, could it?

punknaynowned - 10-12-2012 at 14:17

you are moving right along.
I didn't get far yesterday either. finished #5 and return but decided to skip #6, PP for now.
started shut up some more but restarted it today/ this morning and that set me right, maybe
. So today,
Shut up and play, ahead of their time, TTR...

I never liked ship/witch: too tinny/trebly for my taste. In fact I never enjoy steve vai's guitar. rarely. It took me a long time to like the '84 band too, with the drum machine sound and extra layers of plastic crunch that fills that period's digital sound Frank's guitar was good but the rest took a long time for me to get used to the sound, let alone enjoy it.

We Gotta Stick Together was rehearsed a lot and changed a lot and that song always sounds like a compromise in lots of ways. I still see the delivery of it as mock-serious. As if Frank would like to go off but he's never serious on vocals, so the result captured on tape is in between.
Pygmy Twylyte on #2 is always a stunner for me.
I'm just not feeling it again today

[Edited on 10-12-12 by punknaynowned]

BBP - 10-12-2012 at 19:18

Just played YAWYI today. Over headphones on vinyl, I apparently have the "bad" German pressing. Are there ANY good releases of this album?
Anyway I still think it's a bit of a cockup. Songs like Teenage Wind and Harder Than Your Husband are boring, a lot of the songs are messy. Any Downers is a poorer version of Dirty Love. It's weird how Dumb All Over continues a bit on the flip side.

BBP - 10-12-2012 at 22:13

Played LSO first CD today, then misplaced it so I can't play the rest.
Stupid head!

BBP - 11-12-2012 at 13:31

Found LSO back last night, played YCDTOSA 3/1 (oh bless, Frank laughing so hard he can't perform...) and am currently waiting with playing music since I'm going to put it on while I clear my room. Last time I did that, Dad was clearing out my sister's room and put a large bag filled with puzzle booklets in my room. After that, he retrieved three boxes full of soft toys from the attic, which is honking up space right now.

BBP - 11-12-2012 at 16:30

Cleared the room a bit, listening to LSO 2 and TPS, am now playing FZ:MOP and have Francesco lying around.

punknaynowned - 11-12-2012 at 17:05

After what I'll call a break, I start with
The Yellow Shark and then Joe's Garage III, II, and Civilization Phaze III, Joe's Garage I, and The Lost Episodes

sunny and cold here today

Calvin - 12-12-2012 at 01:08

Just played YAWYI today. Over headphones on vinyl, I apparently have the "bad" German pressing. Are there ANY good releases of this album?
Anyway I still think it's a bit of a cockup. Songs like Teenage Wind and Harder Than Your Husband are boring, a lot of the songs are messy. Any Downers is a poorer version of Dirty Love. It's weird how Dumb All Over continues a bit on the flip side.

I'm supposed to have the "best" version of YAWYI and I still think it's not all that good.

polydigm - 12-12-2012 at 08:14

I have all my Zappa albums organised in genres. There are, in my opinion of course, a solid batch of core FZ albums. I call that Zappa Core. Those with mostly new tracks but not including those with only solos. Then I have Zappa Extra, which are special projects like the Shut Up and Guitar solo compilations and Best Band, Humour, Offended, Ahead of Their Time, the You Can't Do That series and so on. I aim, when I find the time to put a special burn together of tracks from that whole genre that are particularly unique. At the very least, Bolero, Cleveland and Stairway from Best Band will be on there, if that gives you an idea of what I mean. And, please forgive me, but Thing Fish is not in my core list. The idea is definitely a core idea, but he fucked the idea up by not writing totally new music for it. Imagine the idea of Thing Fish with totally new music. Forget CP3, they'd be calling that his masterwork. I love Frank, but he was human and he fucked up badly more than once.

Anyway, during Zappadan, as during any other time, I'm just too busy to listen to FZ's entire collection, so I just keep on doing what I do most of the time - listen to Zappa Core on random on my iPhone when I'm travelling in-between the various locations where I'm far too busy to listen to any music.

One thing Zappa Core on random does is enable you to appreciate things you don't normally because you wouldn't listen to one particular album all the way through in one sitting. I agree with Bonny, up to a point, YAWYI just pisses me off most of the time, it's just too clever, too slick, too relentless ... shut the fuck up and play your guitar Frank or let the band play some instrumental wonderment to break it up. So, on random, out of context of YAWYI, I've learnt to really appreciate every track on that album.

BBP - 12-12-2012 at 13:05

Mine are on chronological order, except for the double jewelcases (UM, 200M, Lather, Thing-Fish and... oh bugger...), the special boxes, and of course the vinyl. Last night I played the first two sides of Them or Us, and YCDTOSA 3/2, with the tear gas.
The YCDTOSA series has some gems I'd put in my core collection. I love the "I want a garden" section, it's delightfully bizarre and cultural too! Also, the disk 4 section of My Guitar / Willie The Pimp / Montana / Brown Moses / Evil Prince. Particularly the Evil Prince bit.

I can understand why people don't like Thing-Fish, which I'm listening to now. Personally I want Dale to put a sock in it. And the Evil Prince, which is a beautiful piece of music, is performed badly here. But the Mudd Club is undeniably better than on YAWYI and it's great to have Blue Light unscratched. And it's gotten a whole new dimension now that Tim Curry-fanhood has driven me to actually watching Annie. Shudder.

BBP - 12-12-2012 at 18:07

Now running one of my favourite records with no unique material: DHBIM? Sounds great throughout.

BBP - 13-12-2012 at 14:36

Things got a bit slow yesterday, since I'm beta-testing an installer for somebody right now and am playing Legend Of Kyrandia because of it. A large, frustrating bit is a cave maze. It's dark in there and the only light source within comes from fireberries: you can pick them up and bring them with you, but they'll only last 3 screens: if you walk in a dark screen without them, you're dead. So I ended up mapping a maze. I hate mazes.

Anyway, played YCDTOSA 4/1 yesterday, with the awesome Evil Prince on it. It proves my UMRK theory: Frank was just sensitive to over-producing and in non-live-recordings he often goes overboard. He does that on Valley Girl, on YAWYI, on TMFU and on TF. Thing-Fish could've been a lot better with a different Evil Prince. Although Napi is not a bad singer, his performances on both the Aria Of The Evil Prince and Wistful could've been much better.

Now playing: SUAPYG.

BBP - 13-12-2012 at 21:10

Finished Kyrandia (thank heavens), played Them Or Us Sides 3 and 4, am now listening to JFH and have Broadway here.

polydigm - 13-12-2012 at 22:59

Another thing about playing FZ on random is that you get some really good segues every now and then. But, so far, I haven't bothered noting any of them down. I'll have to make a point of doing that from now on.

BBP - 14-12-2012 at 11:35

Did YCDTOSA vol 4/2 last night. It's peculiar how it ends with all the old R&B songs. Up to a point I thought it wasn't too enjoyable, and then of course you get Tiny Sick Tears... :lol:

Am now playing Broadway The Hard Way, my European edition without the Bolero. Heavy Duty Judy is in my top 10 least favourite Zappa songs.

BBP - 14-12-2012 at 22:58

Played my Guitar vinyl. I understand it's one of the cases where the CD is actually better, but I could not take much more of the Ol' G Minor Thing. I'm beginning to understand why several people have such a dislike for Vai, although in this case it's more his guitar tone.
I do love For Duane, though. It's very touching Frank made a musical tribute to him: he didn't do that a lot. Only Ives springs to mind, and perhaps Eric Dolphy.

BBP - 15-12-2012 at 12:18

Am now playing Playground Psychotics. This one normally doesn't get a lot of airtime, but while I was making 50 Titles, I was on a Billy The Mountain Trip.

Also have MAJNH lying next to me, played YCDTOSA 5/1 last night. ("I'm whipping this horse to make it go faster." "That's not a horse, that's a table!" "What's the difference?"

Hey I bet with a dictionary to look up what horse and whipping and difference and faster is, I could translate that to Japanese!

punknaynowned - 15-12-2012 at 23:16

It took several days for me to listen to those listed on teh 12th,,,
today I listened to Orchestral Favorites, Lather except for the OF and Sleep Dirt overlaps

BBP - 16-12-2012 at 12:07

Played YCDTOSA 5/2 last night.
Say, 5 days left, and I only have YCDTOSA 6, Yellow Shark and CP3 to go!

punknaynowned - 17-12-2012 at 06:37

Yesterday, Sunday, I listened to
the rest of Lather, Shiek Yerbouti, FZplaysFZ, the rest of Sleep Dirt (there's three versions of some of those songs), the few HIOS? tracks that are not elsewhere, NOT Studio Tan as that was already on Lather, so, Zappa In New York was next minus the things that were on Lather, Mystery Disc, Zoot Allures and followed up with Everything Is Healing Nicely.

Next up on Monday:
Bongo Fury, FZ:OZ, One Size Fits All, Halloween, Roxy & Elsewhere, Joe's Corsage, Apostrophe, Quaudiophiliac, Overnite Sensation, Joe's Domage, The Grand Wazoo, Joe's Xmasage, Waka-Jawaka

but that's about twelve hours of music! we'll see how I do.

BBP - 17-12-2012 at 10:05

You'd be surprised... It's easy to take a lot of Zappa, even though sometimes I end up hearing the same song numerous times in a few hours.

My sister came to visit, so it's a bit slow, but last night I played Monkies and I'm now listening to YCDTOSA 6/1, which is badly scratched by a tumble from the CD rack.

BBP - 20-12-2012 at 11:48

YCDTOSA 6/2 two nights ago, Yellow Shark last night... By my rules there's nothing besides CP3 now, but I'll watch 200 Motels today and will play Zappa/Wazoo.

punknaynowned - 21-12-2012 at 20:39

It's Frankie's Birthday!

already, and I just now have started Joe's Domage, which *I* like and even had to skip the DVD-A's - H/Qu - hahaha lol cuz the converter wouldn't work and I will not listen to that thru tv speakers...

net up, grand wazoo, Xmasage, w/j, Imaginary Diseases, Trance-Fusion, 200 Motels, ...

BBP - 21-12-2012 at 21:22

Ended up playing neither 200M nor Z/W, but last night I listened to Imaginary Diseases. Besides being just a fairly poor output edit-wise (I tend to switch the album off after track 6, not at the end, because it sounds just like the CD has ended), but listening more closely, the ix appears to be poor as well. It's implausible how much the brass has been shoved to the background.

BBP - 22-12-2012 at 18:17

Played the first disk of Z/W last night. It's inexcusable that it starts off in the middle of Frank's line. Wasn't he talking into the mike or did editing screw up?

punknaynowned - 29-12-2012 at 16:36

by the 21st I did get thru listening to the grand wazoo, Xmasage, w/j, and yesterday started Imaginary Diseases. I also will listen to JABFLA and 200 Motels... looking forwd to 'Finer Moments'

punknaynowned - 3-1-2013 at 16:33

in the last couple days finished 200 Motels, T-F and FE'71, so listened to all of MOFO, then Chunga's Revenge and now Buffalo.
I'm not gonna stop til I finish both directions

punknaynowned - 5-1-2013 at 06:12

after Buffalo came Weasels, then the Dub-Room Special!,
and Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Wazoo, Hot Rats for tonight.
I know, it jjust worked out that way.
In fact, there's alot to recommend listening to them like this,
almost like it was planned that way...

Played the first disk of Z/W last night. It's inexcusable that it starts off in the middle of Frank's line. Wasn't he talking into the mike or did editing screw up?

I think the liner notes says that's all there is at the start of the tape. So Not a bad edit, a late taper which is easy to imagine with lots of people on stage or at the mix booth, if there was one:
"Oh yeah! Can't forget that!"
or maybe, right before the taper was turned on Frank told him to 'wait until the mic worked and THEN turn it on'
or- any sort of thing like that.
It's a normal hazard of being on tour. Details don't always happen when you want them to.

BBP - 5-1-2013 at 12:34

Okay... I read the liner notes but missed that.

punknaynowned - 19-1-2013 at 20:28

yesterday got around to and listened to Hot Rats, One Shot Deal, Uncle Meat and Joe's Menage