PackardGoose.com Forums

Zappadan Phase 5! 2013 Ed

BBP - 4-12-2013 at 11:05

It's hard to believe, but today is already the 5th time I start on Zappadan!
Today will be Old Mothers day: scheduled are Freak Out, Absolutely Free, WOIIFFTM, Lumpy Gravy and YCDTOSA vol 5 cd 1.

BBP - 4-12-2013 at 18:36

Freak Out
Really noticed this time 'round how detailed Go Cry is. There's so much going on with the percussion!
"your mother's gonna love you 'til you don't know what to do". Yes I know that.

According to Necessity Is, FO was recorded in only three days. On the last day, sides 3 and 4 were recorded. Mac Rebannac played keyboards on them, but didn't get credit. Kim Fowley sang Help I'm A Rock.
Ray Collins relates on how he wrote the words Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder based on his ex-wife. The spoken part of the song was ad-libbed in studio.

Absolutely Free
Love this album! It's so cheerily odd. I'm getting into Uncle Bernie's Farm more and more.
Like FO, AF had a short recording time, of 25 hours over 4 sessions. All the vocals were done in one session, with 15 minutes alotted per tune: "sing or get off the pot."
The original title of Duke of Prunes was "And very true". Collins ad-libbed the lyrics on it.

Both albums do seem to suffer from their live quality, but it's also the charm of them. I'm still a bit annoyed at FO's tinny sound: MOFO is better than the Ryko release but... oh well, guess I'm spoiled.

Am now listening to YCDTOSA 5/1. Here Lies Love has a nice deep bluesy sound to it.

BBP - 5-12-2013 at 11:50

WOIIFTM has a lot better audio quality. It owes that to the 12 track recordings, Zappa used his 8-track recordings and could mount 4 extra tracks.

Lumpy Gravy, wow. Simply wow.

YCDTOSA vol 1 is great! I love that My Guitar and Lowell George is hysterical in German Lunch.

Now playing: Greasy Love Songs. Have a pile with Uncle Meat, BWS, Hot Rats and Weasels still to go today, hope I can squeeze it in.

BBP - 5-12-2013 at 17:12

Skipped the Uncle Meat fragment, after 20 minutes the "I'm hot" gets a bit much. Testosterone, what a terrible curse!

BBP - 5-12-2013 at 23:28

Now Burnt Weeny, that is one for the top 10. It's amazing how beautiful Little House is, from the piano intro through that intensely beautiful violin solo to FZ's organ culminating in "You'll hurt your throat, stop it!" The rest of the album feels very Uncle Meaty, the light little compositions.

Played the Hot Rats CD since there was suddenly no room in front of the stereo (St Nick). It's been a while since I heard that, and by now I think less of the mastering. I hear the cymbals too loudly. Then again, I still have a troublesome ear from GLOW.

And Weasels, man is that a record I need to discover better! Even after a lengthy FZ-filled day it's still the mysterious combination of beautiful melodies like Oh No, the rock of My Guitar and the noise of the title track. Toads is awesome. I should play this much much more!

Might be playing another YCDTOSA tonight, depending on what time I get to go to bed. We still have a chocolate Monopoly to play.

BBP - 6-12-2013 at 12:00

Today it's Flo & Eddie and Wazoo time, am now playing Chunga's Revenge.

BBP - 6-12-2013 at 18:28

I think I only just got the meaning of Magic Fingers... :D
Vinyl player is playing up, so Fillmore East was troublesome. Hope the troubles will be over or else I'll run in trouble when it comes to Guitar.
Now playing JABFLA. I love the Flo & Eddie era.

BBP - 7-12-2013 at 10:06

Here we are... played YCDTOSA vol 1 disk 1 "Everybody recite a poem!" last night, today's schedule has Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe ('), Roxy & Elsewhere, One Size Fits All, Bongo Fury, Zoot Allures and perhaps Zappa In New York. Wooooohoooo!

Slime is playing now. God I love those deep vocals.

BBP - 7-12-2013 at 18:09

Some sections of Andy remind me of some sections of Billy The Mountain. Hmmm...

BBP - 8-12-2013 at 13:20

Late '70s today. The second disk of ZINY's on now. Renewed my love for Terry Bozzio. He's awesome!
Not sure what to think about the new Slime though.

Also scheduled today:
Studio Tan
Sleep Dirt
Orchestral Favourites
Sheik Yerbouti
If there's time, Joe's Garage. If I choose to watch Princess Mononoke again, YCDTOSA vol 1 disk 2.

BBP - 9-12-2013 at 11:36

Heard Joe's and 1/2, so today it's into the 80s:
Tinseltown Rebellion
You Are What You Is
Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
The Man From Utopia
Baby Snakes.

BBP - 9-12-2013 at 15:21

Playing YAWYI now... bear with me folks, it's my least favourite album. There's a real weird sound about the CD I'm listening to now. It's the 1998 remaster. The bass's been turned up too much, way too much, particularly in Teenage Wind. Oddly, at the same time, bass guitar is hardly audible.

BBP - 9-12-2013 at 16:18

I hear a touch of Ship in Jumbo Go Away.

BBP - 9-12-2013 at 18:54

And I hear a touch of Lucifer's House For Sale in Cocaine Decisions. Brrrrr.

Dude Doing The High Voice On The Radio Is Broken: I am going to kill you using the Killer Shout from the movie The Shout.

[Edited on 9-12-13 by BBP]

BBP - 10-12-2013 at 11:34

Today's agenda:
Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger
London Symphony Orchestra vol 1 + 2
Francesco Zappa
Frank Zappa meets the Mothers of Prevention
Thing-Fish
Them Or Us if there's time

BBP - 10-12-2013 at 22:28

Renewed my love affair with Ya Hozna.

BBP - 11-12-2013 at 13:03

Today:
Shut Up & Play Your Guitar
Does Humour Belong In Music?
Jazz From Hell
Broadway The Hard Way
possibly YCDTOSA vol 3 cd 1.

BBP - 12-12-2013 at 11:14

Today's agenda:
Make A Jazz Noise Here
Playground Psychotics
Ahead Of Their Time
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
YCDTOSA vol 3 cd 2

BBP - 12-12-2013 at 17:18

Oh, and Guitar.
Currently I'm at Playground Psychotics. I'm slightly scared of Yoko Ono.

BBP - 12-12-2013 at 21:11

At Best Band.
"That's not faira, Mr Zappa, you told me I coula standa on stagea and offenda you and your audiencea."

BBP - 15-12-2013 at 13:08

Yesterday was a tad crowded with the tapas, but I did manage to squeeze in YCDTOSA 4/2. Love the audience banter on it! Especially the guy with the baffled reaction on Tiny Sick Tears.

Today it'll be 200 Motels the film and YCDTOSA 5/2, then I'll have had all but Yellow Shark and CP3. I think I'll throw in the DVDs as well.

BBP - 16-12-2013 at 11:26

Today's for Yellow Shark.

BBP - 17-12-2013 at 17:17

Does Humor Belong In Music DVD. Been a long time since I saw that. But it's great to see Frank's band in action.

BBP - 19-12-2013 at 13:11

Had to give Baby Snakes a miss yesterday (Groot Dictee) and only played Lost Episodes. Great thing about Lost Episodes is there's numerous tracks with Jean-Luc Ponty on it. Zappa released few rock songs with the violin in his lifetime, but what a tracks those tunes are! Little House (BWS), Willie The Pimp, Fifty-Fifty, Duck Duck Goose, Thirteen is pretty much it up to Lost Episodes.

[Edited on 19-12-13 by BBP]

BBP - 20-12-2013 at 11:57

Will watch the last bit of Baby Snakes today, and put Halloween, Quad, Mystery Disk and Imaginary Diseases on the list.
Now playing Quad and am tempted to turn it off with the sound quality being so horrible.

BBP - 22-12-2013 at 11:36

Played Mystery Disk, Trance-Fusion and of course Civilization Phase 3 yesterday, concluding Zappadan.

I love CP3!!