Author: Subject: 1968 11 10 KSAN Berkeley, CA w/ Tom Donahue
MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 04:38

Quote: Originally posted by punknaynowned  
that's aweome!!
small world, eh MTF?

Yes! I'm sure you are right about KSAN. And Yes, I should explain about that somewhere. This looks like a good spot.

This tape is the KSAN tape of a previous 1968 11 10 KPFA Berkeley recording.
This tape of this interview was rebroadcasted by KSAN (noted call letters at end of tape) at a date later than the one given here (1968 11 10), as it was earlier reported to have been broadcast and at least recorded by KPFA which at that time did reside in Berkeley.
But this is a later rebroadcast of an earlier interview. So to make that distinction I told two half truths in the title in order to tell the whole story of this tape's origination 1968 11 10 Berkeley and following dissemination (KSAN).

Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense.

I'll ask Jerry if he can shed any light on this. He gets rather annoyed at all the questions he gets about his TeeVee career (he was a news anchorman and had his own show in San Francisco); but he loves to talk about radio. Hardly anyone knows he ran one of the most legendary stations in the history of radio.
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 07:38

I remember Jerry!

I grew up on KSAN with a very fine 60's stereo system! They did such cool stuff. The KSAN college of knowledge at the boarding house was cool. My brother went on and won pretty big. a bunch of groovy gifts like a 10 pound of chocolate an oil lamp and a few gift certificates for music and books.

They had stereo simulcasts all the time so we could watch concerts while listening to our stereo. Their news was first rate! (broke the Patty Hurst story)

Not to mention King Biscuit Flower Hour! with the reel to reel cued up we got some great recordings.

Right on! Thanks for the memories!

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 08:20

Yes, I always have a difficult time choosing what to include and what not to include. Do I keep all the umm's and ahhh's? Do I make the title extra long and thoroughly explain it? How consistent do I need to be with dashes or ellipses? Should I write out the advertisements as they don't relate to the 'story' but give more context and flavor of the times?
If I leave something in -- like the detail of the transmission of broadcasts thru KSAN -- does it matter?
In this case since that's not where it started it did matter. You both had memories of it that triggered. But I couldn't know that. And so on.
Thanks guys!
DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 22:48

The Art of omission.
Personally I cut the many uhhhh and so on on the site.
For me it is something as nod yes in videotaped interviews. Its al an encouragement for the one who is interviewed.
In holland nowadays interviewers use it far too much, as if they are headbanging throughout the interview.
In some Zappa parts I placed on the site leaving out the uhhh and mmm gives the spoken word of Frank more meaning.
He really is capable to sayin 3 sentences without the yeah, ummmm, and mmm from the interviewer.

What about the title, if its is complex, you can always use an subheader.

KSN BLA DIE BLA
(Retransmission of original interview by .........)

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 23:15

call it KPFA!!! See if I care :)
sometimes leaving things in makes them less clear and sometimes leaving things out does that.

I get tired of Frank using 'And the...' all the time to connect ideas. Figuring out where to put periods and thereby where sentences end is often guess work because he gets on a roll and keeps talking and then uses pauses with no words or sounds like ummm and ahhh showing his own difficulty in explaining trying to make things clear and most people don't care.
True both in conversation and when transfered to type.
Omitting the ahhs does make the reading easier but makes the transcription less true to the event being transcribed.
Of course, there are two here. One on the message board and one out front. It makes sense the slicker one be out front I guess. I'm just a 'purist' and can't win all those battles I admit.
It's wonderful you are allowing it to be set out and so willingly do the work necessary.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

[Edited on 19-11-10 by punknaynowned]
MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 06:20

I saw Jerry at the dog park today. I asked him if he could shed any light on the tape. He told me that KSAN and KPFA didn't have any kind of business arrangement, and that the tape was most likely the personal property of Tom Donahue. In all likelihood Zappa agreed to do the interview, but refused to go to San Francisco to do it at KSAN's studio (maybe it had something to do with Zappa not having a driver's license). So Donahue made a deal with KPFA's manager where they would do the interview at KPFA's studio; KPFA would get the right to broadcast it once (probably live); and Donahue would get the master tape and all future broadcast rights.

Jerry said this was the kind of unusual arrangement that Donahue excelled at. He knew that to deal with creative people, he also had to be creative.

Jerry also mentioned something else. Donahue's bio says he died of a heart attack; what it doesn't say is that the heart attack was the result of a cocaine overdose...
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 09:03

I still remember KSAN's address! 415 Sansome in San Francisco. It's a Chinese travel agency now.

DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 18:01

call it KPFA!!! See if I care :)
sometimes leaving things in makes them less clear and sometimes leaving things out does that.

I get tired of Frank using 'And the...' all the time to connect ideas. Figuring out where to put periods and thereby where sentences end is often guess work because he gets on a roll and keeps talking and then uses pauses with no words or sounds like ummm and ahhh showing his own difficulty in explaining trying to make things clear and most people don't care.
True both in conversation and when transfered to type.
Omitting the ahhs does make the reading easier but makes the transcription less true to the event being transcribed.
Of course, there are two here. One on the message board and one out front. It makes sense the slicker one be out front I guess. I'm just a 'purist' and can't win all those battles I admit.
It's wonderful you are allowing it to be set out and so willingly do the work necessary.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

[Edited on 19-11-10 by punknaynowned]

Youre the writer, you're the boss

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 04:45

http://www.amazon.com/Daddy/dp/B001CX8G6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=...

FZ: Don't ya just love those long teenage fade-outs on those old-time records where they keep saying the same thing over and over again to remind you of what the title of the song was?
TD: yeh
FZ: Could ya ever forget that the name of that song was 'Daddy Daddy' by Richard Berry and the Dreamers? Could ya?
TD: He had 'Oo-oo' get out of the car eh?
FZ: Yeah, and d'ya know that Sammy Davis Jr recorded that too? Can you imagine the comparison? You oughta play those simultaneously on the air.
TD: Heh-heh
FZ: Haha-yuk.... Richard Berry is now working in Los Angeles, the south part of Los Angeles with his group at places like HD Hovers, Century City Restaurant and he's pulling down some fantastic bread for a group working with him that musical uhhh category. Y'know like club bands in Los Angeles are notoriously underpaid because the club owners, y'know they could care less if you're a musician.
TD: This one was booked at the bowling alley out near the airport.
FZ: Yeah, that's -- that was probably, ahhh ... Century City Bowl? or something, no.
OV: I think it was Century
FZ: HE made a live album at this uhhh, HD Hovers restaurant which he brought over to the house one day. It's one of th-- they didn't even have it in stereo, just this mono thing that they recorded on the gig, with some little cheesy tape recorder, y'know? It's got some interesting things on it. I mean, make a comparison between what he started out doing and what he -- evolved into and in the -- about the middle of his prime period and what he's doing now to earn a living. He's making about fifteen hundred dollars a week for a five-piece group. He's paying the members of his group uhh, y'know way over scale, y'know and making good money, just week-to-week in these clubs. He plays six nights a week and two jam sessions. He just likes to play. Plays electric piano and he
TD: He's got a real thing going there as far as the other people are concerned.
FZ: Well, well they all come down there and they ask him to sing Louie Louie and they ask him to sing Have Love Will Travel and they -- and if they remember some of his other things, y'know they ask for that too. But he's written some things, some current things that sound sort of like Motown -- but ahh, y'know funkier. Which I don't think are as creative as what he was doing around the Louie Louie days.
TD: Oh, based on Richard Berry as the Century boho, y'know playing an audience that can't remember him,
FZ: Well,
TD: Ahhh, I figure that fifteen years, twenty years from now, Vegas, y'know somethin that hasn't broken off from the mainstream,
FZ: Yeah?
TD: Will ahhh, y'know the Mothers will be at the Sahara and ahh
FZ: Oh I rather doubt that
TD: You doubt that?
FZ: Yeah
TD: Well what will be the next -- they're gonna have to do that because they're gonna have to bring in the ahh the acts people can remember of that age
FZ: Well when I was in high school buying these records, I thought, y'know my folks were watching Lawrence Welk on television and I was saying, 'Now here's a whole generation of people that want to remember big band time', yknow? And in twenty years from now, it's quite possible that on television we'll be seeing Big J McNeely and Joe Houston and people like that, grinding it out with their bands, playing for a middle aged audience that wants to dance to that kind of music. And it's gonna be a really funny sight to watch, y'know? It's one thing to see a bunch of folks fox-trotting around the floor, but -- I remember Joe Houston lying on his back honking one note and then the octave above that note as his solo for All Night Long. Why it just makes ya quiver all over.
TD: Wanted to see if he could stand the test of time.
FZ: Yeah.
FZ: We have a record now ... I'd like to play a number of cuts from this album because I think this group is one of the swingin'-est of that era. It's the Paragons and it's from a album called 'The Paragons Meet The Jesters'. Put out by Paul Lindley productions and it's a lovely cover. It's in blue ink and it shows two dudes with leather jackets on, like they wear in motorcycle gangs in New York y'know? And they're sort of Italian looking boys -- Sal Mineo types. One guy is exhaling -- Oh he has jesters on the back of the coat, heheh and they have those squatty hats, y'know? Like you saw in old ahh, motorcycle movies. One guy is blowing the smoke out of his mouth in a big clump and the other guy is doing a sort of motorcycle yoga position on the floor. With the silhouette of a girl. Looks like her arm is on her hip over on the side of the album. It's very ... it's designed to appeal to a very narrow spectrum of teenage mentality. And the first tune that we're gonna play from this album is called 'Twilight'. It's not a very well known tune but it certainly is delightful. and here it is for your dancing pleasure.
[cue 'Twilight' by the Paragons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0YXRwhcar8]

21. "A Really Bad Commercial": after some harmonica and a steam train sound, Tom reads a commercial for a clothing store in SF, [1:03]

TD: This is Tom Donahue and we're uhhh rapping with Frank Zappa of the Mothers of Invention. And ... let's see, what are we gonna play now?
FZ: Well, there's a song on the Paragons Meet The Jesters album called "Florence", which was another one of those high school heart throb favorites and I'd like to play two in a row. The hits just keep comin' at ya. 'Florence' followed by 'Florence Don't Leave Me', the sequel.
OV: Florence don't want to--
[cue "Florence": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB2NF7QxiaA&]
[cue "Florence Don't Leave Me": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1FxOaDHTo&]

TD: That's about all of Florence, I mean,
FZ: Is that about all you can do to Florence?
TD: Listen to the words and dedicate back--
FZ: OK, this is -- Next! on the lover's hour, [agh-erm] what does Jerry Blovett[sp?] call it, the eleventh hour?
TD: Yeah
FZ: Alright, we have a selection from the new Mothers of Invention LP Cruisin' With Ruben and the Jets, which is dedicated to the ahhh, golden era of American popular music of the 50's. When everybody used to harmonize, get real ... ahhh passionate in the song and sing it like they were sincere and really was in love with their girlfriend. And one of the reasons we made this record is because we think that people should start dancing slow back together again holding on to each other. So like when you get ahold of your girlfriend and bring her toward you and dance with her for a few minutes y'know until those three minute songs that after you're all done you have those hot circles burned on your chest from her-
[cue "Later That Night": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZSZRqsCmQA]
Announcer: You're listening to KPFA and KPFB in Berkeley--

[Edited on 23-12-10 by punknaynowned]
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 04:50

That's it! That's the end of this tape and interview.
it continues from the last big post on previous page
after the number '18.' in the text
with the amazon cue for the Daddy Daddy snippet that I couldn't find a better example of.
But is a self start trigger as well

thankfully Florence and the rest are not. just youtube clips.
Of course I'm in no hurry to have it placed out front on the index page,
with xmas in full bloom these days and everything else.
I'm glad to finally have this piece done.
I will check it for errors, I think I found them tho...
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 21:19

Wow Punky! Great work!
Here's hoping Dad can soon find the time to put it to good use, since the great clearing of the junkyard in Helmond has started.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

Mood: Not nessaceraly stoned but beautiful

[*] posted on 26-8-2012 at 13:40

Great thread! I grew up in the SF bay area in the 50's-60's and the 70' and of course listened to TD and KSAN.I remember they're simalcast shows where you watch the TV and crank up the radio,like Huck said.A friend of mine had a reel to reel to capture concerts and interviews for posterity.Haven't a clue where he is now.In HS during the summer,I'd work up in the MTNS.near the Bear Vally area on highway 4 above Angels Camp,CA.No reception up there.The only rock station was KZAP outta Sacramento,CA that we could tune in.They refused to play any Zappa and with those call letters too!So when I'd go back to Bezerkeley/Oakland,CA.I'd go over to my friends house and listen to his reel to reel tapes for hours at a time just catching up.It was alot of fun! Ah,the good ol' daze of KSAN,protest and the following riots on Telegragh ave.and listening to KFBK or KSAN to get the latest real news and not the watered down crap that was on the TV at the time.KSAN's rock programs with Tom Donahue where my favorites and the news from KFBK is how I learned how the world really works.I wish I could thank all those guys for keepin' it real for us youngsters growing up at that time.The FZ interview I missed but maybe he didn't want to go to SF because of Bill Grahams assertion that you'll never work in ths town again! Ha! KSAN and it's SF sister station broadcast the same shows I believe so I could see FZ thinkin' I don't even have to go to SF for anything to be heard there,so why not stay and record the interview in Berekeley anyway? After the last MOI concert at The Fillmore West I didn't think FZ played SF itself anymore,I'd see him at The Berkeley Community Theater or The Circle Star Theater in the round in San Carlos and I even saw him at Pepperland,near where that marine animal and roller coaster ride place is now in Vallejo,CA.Cool times and FZ would get me out of the boondock-Mtns,everytime he and the Mothers came around.If it wasn't for KSAN and FZ's relation with KPFK and Berekeley in general I don't think he would have done A Zappa Affair there.That was a benifit for the Berkeley Philharmonic Orchestra,that was going broke.Frank did that for free and was also one of the times I got to meet him and got his autograph too! I know I'm a real groupie,oh well,there goe's my reputation and status at the high shcool.Which btw was were I went to HS for two years,Good ol' Bezerkeley high.We named some weed after that school too.As in you wanna buysome Berekeley high! We thought it quite cute and funny at the time.Heck it still makes me smile.All during that time my car radio was blasting KSAN like the backdrop of my younger years.I miss Tom Donahue and his show,you just can't find that kinda suff on the airwaves anymore.KFBK is still there,but thats now mostly news.Thanx for the memories y'all! Very cool!
The last time I saw FZ was at The Berkeley Community Theater circa '84.If I'd a known that was gonna be it I would have flown back east and caught his last tour back in '88.
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 27-8-2012 at 02:36

Thanks Kiirk!
I'm glad that this brought memories for you and that you shared them with us. Always fascinating to me to hear where people are from, what they remember.
Here is a full youtube clip of Ewan MacColl's version of 'Handsome Cabin Boy' as heard on that tape that Frank played for Tom on KSAN
v<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KaNoP0zSSgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
well, the embed thing is not what I want to do...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/KaNoP0zSSgo

that should work at least

and here is the 45 of Richard Berry's 'Daddy, Daddy' which belongs at the end of page 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtT-Icm_NAQ

[Edited on 27-8-12 by punknaynowned]

[Edited on 28-8-12 by punknaynowned]
KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

Mood: Not nessaceraly stoned but beautiful

[*] posted on 27-8-2012 at 18:57

Thanks Kiirk!
I'm glad that this brought memories for you and that you shared them with us. Always fascinating to me to hear where people are from, what they remember.
Here is a full youtube clip of Ewan MacColl's version of 'Handsome Cabin Boy' as heard on that tape that Frank played for Tom on KSAN
v<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KaNoP0zSSgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
well, the embed thing is not what I want to do...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/KaNoP0zSSgo

that should work at least

and here is the 45 of Richard Berry's 'Daddy, Daddy' which belongs at the end of page 1

Thanks Puunknaynowed! At ease sailor,it's only one *I* in Kirk over here. LOL! BTW: Where is the 45 of Richard Berry's' Daddy,Daddy'? I'd like to hear that. Did you put it on page one?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top