Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The beauty of music
James
Unregistered

[*] posted on 19-10-2005 at 20:16
The beauty of music

Well, I guess it's the fact that everyone is different. Music can't be 'crap' it's just a different type. It's only 'crap' in someone's opinion, maybe not in yours and I think that's great!

James
Unregistered

[*] posted on 25-10-2005 at 18:57

It's only crap in your opinion though!

James
Unregistered

[*] posted on 27-10-2005 at 00:38

Yes I love them.

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2005 at 03:06

I always struggle with the difference between objectivity and subjectivity when it comes to music. I KNOW that Debussy's "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune" is more valid than The Pussycat Dolls' "Don't Cha", but how do you explain that to people?

In a two-hour improvised stream of conciousness in my last year of high school I rattled off about 15 pages of a method of objectively classifying and critiquing any music, all of which I don't remember and never got back.

In my own personal case, I seem to be gifted with an internal "lame-o-meter" that goes nuts when it detects lameness. I don't really know how to define "lameness", but I have a very clear idea of what is and what is not lame. There are things I listen to and watch that make me extremely upset because of their inherent lameness, enough that i MUST leave.

It generally comes from a subconscious recognition of any alternative non-musical aspects of anything that is classified as musical. It might be an audio thing only, or it might be watching someone perform. Then, if there is, one has to decide if these aspects have a purpose OTHER than to make money, or appeal to a certain audience for the purpose of exploiting some part of popular culture. If one can not find substantial alternative reasons, then whatever or whoever it is you are listening to or watching is lame. All this usually happens subconsciously, and in some people it doesn't happen at all.

Here is an :offtopic: example that completely lacks any thoughtful objectivity:

The combination of scary masks and performing metal is lame. Slipknot wear scary masks and play metal. Slipknot is lame.

I don't know why scary masks are lame in that context, but I KNOW for sure that they are.

mutronboy
200 Motels Status

Mood: sensually aromatic

[*] posted on 20-11-2005 at 18:56

I think it might have even been Frank who said something like ;
'people who are totally into disco music can appreciate the nuances and subtleties of it'

Probably the same with boy groups...

I like Johnny 'Guitar' Watsons' disco stuff...it's got balls...and intent
James
Unregistered

[*] posted on 21-11-2005 at 12:41

I agree scallapino, but what I'm saying is that although it is lame music and it is generated by a bleached little prick from LA, it's still music and people can still enjoy it. It's just great that there is music for everyone.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 12:45

it took me a long time to bear hiphop. couldn't stand it! nothing to hear, mama heart beat and sampled riffs and stoopid rap, no originality, no individuality, I thought. Then I heard some things with samples I recognised and thought oh, I recognise that! and listened some more. then I could recognise the subtlety and complexity that goes into layering then tried playing around with it and then using abrupt edits (like zappa) with some of those hiphop kinds of ideas and actually grew to enjoy it as an artistic expression. I still prefer the trance end of that stuff and more than that love genuine dub (king tubby, lee perry) more often than any hiphop. But still had to first see stuff I already enjoyed in it before I could get open to the rest of it.
scallop, still think you might not see any value in spiteful boys in halloween get up?
hahha!
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 09:54

Maybe it's because theý're spiteful. Maybe if they were more cheery we could work something out.

Go To Top