Repo Man
Modern Times (Chaplin)
Metropolis
Blazing Saddles
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 09:59

I keep hearing about Brazil but I've never seen it.

BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 14:06

Have you seen the Great Dictator, MTF? Or is it still forbidden in the US? I preferred that one over Modern Times, it's fantastic!

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 17:06

Even though you weren't talking to me, I went ahead and googled it.
Lo and begold, 2:05:15 in length, this must be it
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=the+great+dictator&emb=0&...
I now have something worthwhile to watch today!
thanx Bonny!!!

Did I ever tell the story of finding the hidden compartment at the banister at his old house?
The one in LA that Harry Houdini had owned previously?
No, I'm not making this up.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 17:39

Please tell us!

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 20:29

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Have you seen the Great Dictator, MTF? Or is it still forbidden in the US? I preferred that one over Modern Times, it's fantastic!

The Great Dictator is a fine film. It was never banned in the US.

You may be thinking of Chaplin himself. He was nearly deported because of his penchant for underage girls. In the late 40s he went back to England and vowed never to return to the US, but this may have been after he was told he wouldn't be given a visa if he tried to return to the US.

It's probably just as well. The Hollywood witchhunts were just beginning, and he almost certainly would have been one of its first victims.

BTW: City Lights is widely acknowledged to be Chaplin's masterpiece, but I still like Modern Times better.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 20:47

It wasn't forbidden? Trivial Pursuit is lying at us!

I thought Chaplin was believed to be communist; at least that was what I was taught at school.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 01:34

wiki excerpt:

Although Chaplin had his major successes in the United States and was a resident from 1914 to 1953, he always maintained a neutral nationalistic stance. During the era of McCarthyism, Chaplin was accused of "un-American activities" as a suspected communist sympathizer and J. Edgar Hoover, who had instructed the FBI to keep extensive secret files on him, tried to end his United States residency. FBI pressure on Chaplin grew after his 1942 campaign for a second European front in the war and reached a critical level in the late 1940s, when Congressional figures threatened to call him as a witness in hearings. This was never done, probably from fear of Chaplin's ability to lampoon the investigators.[12] This was probably a wise decision, as Chaplin later stated that, if called, he wanted to appear dressed in his Tramp costume.[citation needed]

In 1952, Chaplin left the US for what was intended as a brief trip home to the United Kingdom for the London premiere of Limelight. Hoover learned of the trip and negotiated with the Immigration and Naturalization Service to revoke Chaplin's re-entry permit. Chaplin decided not to re-enter the United States, writing; ".....Since the end of the last world war, I have been the object of lies and propaganda by powerful reactionary groups who, by their influence and by the aid of America's yellow press, have created an unhealthy atmosphere in which liberal-minded individuals can be singled out and persecuted. Under these conditions I find it virtually impossible to continue my motion-picture work, and I have therefore given up my residence in the United States."[13]

Chaplin then made his home in Vevey, Switzerland. He briefly and triumphantly returned to the United States in April 1972, with his wife, to receive an Honorary Oscar, and also to discuss how his films would be re-released and marketed. He was welcomed warmly.
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 08:14

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP: It wasn't forbidden? Trivial Pursuit is lying at us! I thought Chaplin was believed to be communist; at least that was what I was taught at school.

It really pisses me off how the term communist is bandied about. It's presented in a religious manner like it's some kind of evil possession of the soul when in reality there are many different types of communist.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 08:28

Before the US joined World War I, my grandfather worked for Mack Sennett as his personal driver. Sennett was the head of the Keystone Film Company. This was where Chaplin got his start in movies.

So my grandfather almost certainly knew Charlie Chaplin. Unfortunately, my grandfather died long before I was born, so I never got to hear any of his stories. But there is a sort of family legend that he appeared in one or two of Sennett's movies as one of the Keystone Kops (most likely as a driver in one of their many car chases). The Keystone Kops made literally dozens of one- and two-reel films, and Chaplin appeared in several of them. Sadly, few of them still exist (nitrate film stock had the disarming habit of suddenly bursting into flames).
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 12:28

Sounds like your grampa had enough material for a book, MTF...

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 20:57

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Sounds like your grampa had enough material for a book, MTF...

Maybe. My mother liked to tell stories about him. But she was only 5 when he died (in a car crash). I've been able to corroborate part of what she told me (he did work for Mack Sennett, as well as Hal Roach and Walt Disney), but other things - such as the Keystone Kops story or the one about him being captured by the Germans in World War I - might be pure fantasy.

Which reminds me of another of my favorite movies: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 22:57

Hah! That's a great fairytale! But I recall he worked for Disney, you mentioned that postcard on the Z-forum...

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 13:07

I've watched a lot of cool movies lately, borrowed from libraries all over my state (very handy!)..

- Cries and Whispers (Bergman)
- Breathless (Godard)
- Ray (the many music sequences are awesome...it makes a huge difference when musicians play musicians in films).
- The Big Lebowski (one of the funniest movies I have ever seen...I'm going to watch all the Coen brothers' movies I can find now. Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers is in it, playing one of the hilarious German 'nihilists'. Captain Beefhear and Moondog feature in the soundtrack)
- Reservoir Dogs

I'm sure i've watched more in the last few weeks but i just can't remember them at the moment.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 16:07

Of those, I've only seen Ray... I should really catch up on those others.

Today I saw 200 Motels... weird, but fun!

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 06:44

Did you like Ray? Some of it was just a little cheesey but overall i really liked it. Llike i said, not only is the music generally awesome, but the performances of the music are really good as well. It's a shame that Jamie Foxx himself puts out such mediocre RnB stuff.

Some parts of 200 Motels are really brilliant - "the boy searches the night for his newt" and the bit where they go through the town are my favourite bits. Even with its flaws and cheapness, i don't there is anything like 200 Motels. It's totally unique.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 11:00

My favourite was the Dental Hygiene Dilemma... it was very strange how the movie music is different from the soundtrack... I played the album many times, so...

Ray was OK, I spent much time feeling my wrists... It was in cinema, and I was sitting in the front row and there were mice there. I'm not scared of mice, but it was creepy nonetheless. The music was fantastic and I sang alond with Hit The Road Jack.

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 15:17

Quote:
Originally posted by MTF
Here are some of my favorites:

Forbidden Planet
The Wizard Of Oz
Brazil
The Maltese Falcon
Dr. Strangelove
Runaway Train
Repo Man
Modern Times (Chaplin)
Metropolis
Blazing Saddles

I've seen both Brazil and Repo Man in the last few days! Awesome! I couldn't believe Repo Man. It's crammed with so many jokes and a million quotable quotes. And it has one of the best opening credit sequences i've ever seen. The music is super cool. I'd love to get the soundtrack.

Brazil is kind of like what would happen if Monty Python wrote and filmed 1984 (which is almost what it is...) I love the line:
-"What do you think is behind the recent wave of terrorism?"
-"Bad sportsmanship!"

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 31-3-2009 at 07:18

I've watched FernGully: The Last Rainforest a couple of days ago. It's a bit sugary and very environmentalistic, but the music is great!

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 1-4-2009 at 10:59

Oh god. I have never given a thought to that movie since i was about 5 years old. Wow the memories. I remember something about a giant oil kind of monster who came out of machines. Very scary.

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15

Go To Top