scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 09:19

Quote:
Originally posted by polydigm
Quote:
Originally posted by scallopino
But why the fuck would they place them in the middle of the album! :freak: I don't understand it. Why didn't they put the album on one cd and then the other stuff on another one?
When the Uncle Meat CDs were first produced, the standard CD couldn't fit the whole of the album which is just over 75 minutes. I think CDs started out at 70 minutes maximum and now they can fit 80 minutes. I don't know if this is what influenced Zappa's decision to do what he did instead of just putting two vinyl sides per CD or something similar.

I've burnt myself a single disc Uncle Meat as well. It's great to be able to play the whole album through from one CD.

That makes a lot of sense. I actually didn't like Uncle Meat until I listened to the original album edited from the Ryko release. I don't think i even knew at the time that it WAS originally different.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 21:39

yes, I agree with polyd. That is how it was. I remember being surprised that Freak Out!, Exile On Main Street, Blonde On Blonde and some other famous double records that fit on one cd:meaning they were less than 72 minutes long. But The Beatles White Album was indeed needed to be put on 2 cd's at 90 minutes long.
Then, it was only in the late '90's that I began to notice that cd's were getting longer and then were advertised as being 80 minutes long.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top