Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Remembering Zappa
DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 20-3-2006 at 18:38
Remembering Zappa

When I was about a very young, good looking boy somewhere in the seventies I saw a program on VPRO television about Frank Zappa. It was around that time that for the first time in Dutch TV history Phil Bloom showed her boobies on another VPRO program. The world was changing very quickly after that:lol: Back to Zappa. He did a trick with a dust collector hose on the boobies of a girl. I remembered that scene since and when my daughter turned out to be a Zappa fan, I told her. Somehow, don't ask me how, she managed to get an copy of that program. Funny enough not exactly matching my memories but ther it was again. I think if you ask BB to fetch you the bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow, she somehows manage to do so.

[Edited on 21-3-2006 by DED]
aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 20-3-2006 at 19:44

Is there any possibility of seeing that footage ?
DED
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-3-2006 at 19:51

That's upto bbp, I can offer you a photo taken from the screen.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 20-3-2006 at 20:17

That seems interesting.:D
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 12:13

http://portal.omroep.nl/mplayer?nav=uphuuEsHEnCoVtHjIugdB

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
Puptent
Apostrophe Status

Mood: 't is the season to be jelly

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 14:22

I think I already wrote this on the Zappa.com board, but my dad also remembered seeing this documentary back in 1971. That vacuum cleaner scene must have made quite an impression back then, because that was also the part he remembered best. :D

Hey kids! Do you hear that sound? . . . Freaks will be coming from miles around!
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 19:11

Yeah, but the vacuum thread went down with the Forum crash, along with Trendmongers story on his vacuum-hose singing technique, leaving my Trendy-at-the-Ritz drawing a little context-less.

http://bonny.ploeg.ws/trendmo.JPG

Oh wait, sorry: misread your message.

My mother also vividly recalled that scene, though she was too embarrassed to tell us what it was about exactly.

[Edited on 21-3-06 by BBP]

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 20:18

Thank you very much BB, I'll watch that as soon as I've got a bit of time.

DED
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 20:39

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Yeah, but the vacuum thread went down with the Forum crash, along with Trendmongers story on his vacuum-hose singing technique, leaving my Trendy-at-the-Ritz drawing a little context-less.

http://bonny.ploeg.ws/trendmo.JPG

Oh wait, sorry: misread your message.

My mother also vividly recalled that scene, though she was too embarrassed to tell us what it was about exactly.

[Edited on 21-3-06 by BBP]

We had only one (or just 2) station(s) that time, so everybody with a TV set has seen it.
In the early seventies the sexual revolution in Holland started.
It was heavy announced that Phil Bloom Should appear naked in "Hoepla". A girl reading a paper on a "pea" chair laid the paper down and for a few seconds you saw two black dots on a grey body. And then it was over. But in the Frank Zappa Documentary it was not announced and a little more "dynamic". There were even questions in the parliament.
So new, so extreme. And that you won't forget. A milestone in Dutch history. I have a Jig Saw puzzle with Phil Bloom In Amsterdam at the "lieverdje" statue. It's a pity that one piece is missing. ..........But not that part, only a bit of the pavement. :biggrin:
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2006 at 07:54

Quote:
So new, so extreme. And that you won't forget. A milestone in Dutch history.

And then the Dutch never looked back! :-D Lonely males everywhere are eternally grateful!

DED
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-3-2006 at 13:03

PHIL BLOOM
NUDE ON TV SHOCKED CALVINIST HOLLAND

Source: ANP (Walter Paap 1967)

Holland’s smallest TV and broadcasting organisation VPRO this week shocked Dutch television-viewers when it presented a completely nude girl in it’s controversial teenage-show ‘Hoepla’. The girl, 21-years-old photographic model Phil Bloom, some weeks ago caused a storm of comment and indignation when she appeared completely nude in the first instalment of the ‘Hoepla-show’. However, on that occasion she had been shown through a veil. This time nothing was left to the imagination of the viewers and Phil appeared stark naked before the eye of the camera (....) VPRO-manager Mr. van Houte indicated in an interview that his organisation – after the stormy reception of the first instalment of its ‘Hoepla’ show - had decided to proceed with the show because it did not want to give in to what he described as an organised newspapercampaign againt VPRO’s programme policy. He said: ‘The nude girl in the ‘Hoepla’ show was decent’. At no time did she behave suggestively or erotically, but she had remained completely motionless. Mr. van Houte said the girl did not appeal to lower sexual instincts but only showed the beauty of the nude female body. He said: ‘ A nude girl can be beautiful, this is what we wanted to show and that is what we did’ ! (....) The “nude on TV’ has posed several questions: Will the number of nude appearances increase? And what is the attitude of the law? For the law says that indecent exposure is an offence, punishable by imprenment not exceeding a period of two years and a fine not exceeding 300 guilders. Are Phil Bloom and the VPRO guilty of indecent exposure? Dutch television viewers are convinced that they will be in for another shock, but when and how are still under wraps. But so far Phil and her employers seem to have booked a victory.....

DED
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-3-2006 at 13:28

Sousa around a Dust Collector
HENK VAN GELDER
The laconic commencing voice of Roelof Kiers refers in one little sentence to the enormous commotion which that year(1971) had arisen. In the program ,shooted on the set of Zappa-film 200 the motels, a suction hose appears which seems it lives its own life - and then he (Roelof Kiers) says in a voice-over: "The Dust collector of frank Zappa, an apparatus with unsuspected possibilities, plays a striking role 200 motels". Now the VPRO repeats it from 1971 dating programme in "seeing meeting again" , this sentence has lost its cargoby long. But what was the matter?

A half year earlier, in February 1971, the VPRO shown an also "Kiers" made tv-portrait of Zappa. It contents approximately all aspects of Zappa's life and work, but it attracted especially the attention by one short scene in which Zappa placed playfully a suction hose on a bared woman udder. That was enough to put the country on stalks. The feeling became, as usually "shouting" interpreted in "the Telegraph": When one by means of a mass medium such as television, in a manner such as the VPRO did, the way of life of Mr Zappa shows, then one cooperates in an irresponsable manner in the luxation of standards, without which, however these can change also, the society cannot maintain himself.
It rained complaints at Amsterdam justice and the (former) ministry of Culture, Recreation and Social work. Both promised a research. Afterwards it became quiet.

Translated with worldlingo and afterwards hopefully corrected the right way.

[Edited on 22-3-06 by BBP]
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-3-2006 at 12:33

Quote:
Originally posted by DED
PHIL BLOOM
NUDE ON TV SHOCKED CALVINIST HOLLAND

Source: ANP (Walter Paap 1967)

Holland’s smallest TV and broadcasting organisation VPRO this week shocked Dutch television-viewers when it presented a completely nude girl in it’s controversial teenage-show ‘Hoepla’. The girl, 21-years-old photographic model Phil Bloom, some weeks ago caused a storm of comment and indignation when she appeared completely nude in the first instalment of the ‘Hoepla-show’. However, on that occasion she had been shown through a veil. This time nothing was left to the imagination of the viewers and Phil appeared stark naked before the eye of the camera (....) VPRO-manager Mr. van Houte indicated in an interview that his organisation – after the stormy reception of the first instalment of its ‘Hoepla’ show - had decided to proceed with the show because it did not want to give in to what he described as an organised newspapercampaign againt VPRO’s programme policy. He said: ‘The nude girl in the ‘Hoepla’ show was decent’. At no time did she behave suggestively or erotically, but she had remained completely motionless. Mr. van Houte said the girl did not appeal to lower sexual instincts but only showed the beauty of the nude female body. He said: ‘ A nude girl can be beautiful, this is what we wanted to show and that is what we did’ ! (....) The “nude on TV’ has posed several questions: Will the number of nude appearances increase? And what is the attitude of the law? For the law says that indecent exposure is an offence, punishable by imprenment not exceeding a period of two years and a fine not exceeding 300 guilders. Are Phil Bloom and the VPRO guilty of indecent exposure? Dutch television viewers are convinced that they will be in for another shock, but when and how are still under wraps. But so far Phil and her employers seem to have booked a victory.....

Ha! I would call that very decent exposure! I mean, I would censor an ugly person appearing naked in 1967, but certainly not her. .

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-7-2007 at 10:53

It just occurred to me, that when I went to the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam (nice modern-art museum near the Central Station of Amsterdam, much worth a visit), there were screen shots of said event. It has earned its place in a museum!

DED
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-11-2007 at 15:19

Quote:
Originally posted by DED
. I think if you ask BB to fetch you the bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow, she somehows manage to do so.

[Edited on 21-3-2006 by DED]

Until disfar no succes :crying:
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 22-11-2007 at 20:13

here Ded, I think this is it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeh32gVc-6Y
my connection is real slow today so I can't watch the whole thing again, but I had watched earlier this year and I believe has the bit of film at the zappa home with miss lucy and the vacuum cleaner;
but that's not all, there's a lot of good discussion and music in there too!
:D
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 22-11-2007 at 21:40

Is that Lucy? Ahhh... I tend to mix up my Zappa ladies (apart from Gail, that is).

DED
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-11-2007 at 23:38

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned
here Ded, I think this is it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeh32gVc-6Y
my connection is real slow today so I can't watch the whole thing again, but I had watched earlier this year and I believe has the bit of film at the zappa home with miss lucy and the vacuum cleaner;
but that's not all, there's a lot of good discussion and music in there too!
:D

tnx
we have the doc. but I was referring to the couldron with gold
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-11-2007 at 08:38

ahhhh,
"you're innocent when you dream"
-- Tom Waits
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-11-2007 at 13:06

Doesn't that depend on what you dream about?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top