Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: And now something completely different
DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 19:15

Quote:
Originally posted by MTF
Cute pictures. Must have been Sunday, because you're all wearing your church clothes.

No it was not sunday, at least I think so. But for sure it was not for church :P:

Back then it was normal that you dressed up for a photo. That was something special. My grandad hobbyhorse was to make and develope pictures, so since 1923 there are more pictures then in other Dutch families. But since 1945 when my mother escaped from the re(li)diculous home in Nothern Netherlands to the big city. Photomaterial was poor. An old KODAK box camera with 8 pictures on a roll was sufficient for a period of at least 12 months. including winter and summer holidays. Only since the introduction of the 126 cassette with square negatives and the 110 cassette with unstable camera's the number of pictures ingrease. esp. after the birth of my sister (the youngest) in 1963.

And Bonny don't call us atheists. We are NOT.
You are raised in a family without any religeous roots.
Only them with a religion calls you an atheist
as in a-technical or asocial

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 02:47

:P
an old friend of mine used to ask as a joke
'Do you know the difference between an atheist and an agnostic?'

His answer was 'Balls', meaning it takes conviction, strength, fortitude to make a decision like that and stick with it.
That makes sense to me.
But I guess you can say I'm a relativist. I think it takes all kinds.
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 12:36

I like calling myself a heathen. Or anti-religious, which is more "to the point" than atheist.
But for communication purposes, well... I am trying to be less harsh on people who grew up with religion. At least to the point when I'll stop being scared of crucifixes.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 13:28

People who aren't religious can choose whatever name they like, but atheist is still technically correct...especially since 'atheists' are in the minority! My grandfather has the same problem with the name that you do Ded ("Why should THEY get to name ME?"). I don't really have a problem with it. It would be better if people asked if you were a theist instead of an atheist, since i reckon NOT believing in something is the default position.

Punky: I think the only reasonable position is to be an agnostic, in the strictest technical meaning of that word, because you are being irrational if you say "there definitely is no god and I can prove it." There is really no way to prove it either way. It's all about what is more likely and what makes sense according to the different types of information around. For me personally, the fact that there are non-supernatural explanations for almost everything, which can be tested and verified, is one reason why it's highly UNLIKELY that there is a god. Also, all of the other arguments like the existence of evil and such are other (really really good) reasons not to believe in god. I will never say that there is no god, just that i've never known a reason to believe in one.

Also, if an agnostic says that they are not an atheist, they are kind of missing the point altogether. Being an agnostic means you don't know whether there is a god or not, and that position includes a non-belief in god. Therefore, all agnostics are atheists.

BUT, if agnostics define themselves as being "in the middle", that they can't really decide whether to believe in god or not, then that position, as you say, lacks balls. It's not like there are equally good reasons for believing in god and not believing in god. Like i said, i've never seen a good reason to believe.

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 13:31

Oh, one more thing: I really really hate it when people classify atheism as a religion. Don't being me down to your level! And it's just stupid besides. I once read somewhere: IF ATHEISM IS A RELIGION, THEN NOT COLLECTING STAMPS IS A HOBBY. :lol:

BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 27-2-2009 at 14:07

Well, whether atheists are or are not in the minority is still a matter of doubt. There are estimates that 15% of people is atheist, and there are estimates that 80% of people is atheist.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 27-2-2009 at 21:02

o yeah, now we know :P

If you try someone to convince of the advantages of not being a theist, you act as religious people spreading theirs.

Apart from that if you manage that someone gives up his religion he/she often get mental problems.

You take a away someones reality, that hurts

[Edited on 27-2-2009 by DED]

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top