Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 'Tis The Season To Be Jelly
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 18:17
'Tis The Season To Be Jelly

'Tis The Season to be Jelly? Rhino, FOOO-EEE boot from the beat the boots 2 box . . .
does anyone have it or have you heard it?
there could be a review of it --- I want to do it as it is the show from 67 I'm most familiar with and most clearly shows what I see as Frank doing at that time . . .
and the date of the show was 30sep67, the day before the Copenhagen show . . .
should I be sending this info to the ZFT as an additional goad for them to release live '67 material?:roll:

[Edited on 30-12-2006 by punknaynowned]
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 18:18

[silence broken by]
FZ: "This is a song from our Freak Out album, which has been changed to a waltz, for live performance. The name of this song is You Didn't Try To Call Me. <applause, coughing> After we play thru You Didn't Try To Call Me, there will be a brief pause and I will say 'Let's move along now', that means nothing to you, into a piece of Petroushka by Igor Stravinski. Followed by The Bristol Stomp, followed by Baby Love, by the Supremes, followed by our new smash flop single, There's a big dilemma about my Big Leg Emma. <applause, count-off > One-Two-Three, One-Two Three"
"You Didn't Try To Call Me" [YDTTCM] in waltz-time. It's kinda funny to hear JimmyCarlBlack tryin to still keep up with the fore-shortened measures!!!Ray Collins on lead vocal. The added instrumentation of flute and Don Preston's keyboard more closely resembles the version on Freak Out! than the 25jun66 version found on MOFO3. with spoken intro, 3:12;Nice

FZ: "Well, let's move along now . . ."
another instrumental line from YDTTCM on guitar, drum and organ as a repeat of song intro, then abruptly
FZ: "Petroushka!" 22 mesures of it in 52 seconds! then abruptly the music changes to
"Bristol Stomp", uptempo, Ray Collins sings lead,
"The kids in Bristol are sharp as a pistol
When they do the Bristol Stomp
(Whoa, oh, oh)
It's started at Bristol at the teenage ha-ha-hop
(Ah-ah-ah, whoa)
When they do the Bristol Stomp
they're sharp as a pistol
Bem-di-di-di-diddy-bo-bimmibimmi bop etc
Woah-woahwo-wo
Ray Collins: Oh my Darling, woh-woah. Oh Baby, woah-woah. We're walking underneath the woah-woah, with yer woah-woah poetry and yer woah woah. You show me yer woah woah and I'll show you mine, we'll put em together and say "Woah-"

-- here the band immediately starts with
the intro to Baby Love. 45 seconds.
"Baby Love": Roy Estrada and others join Ray in singing this for 47 seconds with a straight 4/4 rock beat, tho somewhat stilted . . . then abruptly

"Big Leg Emma": Frank sings with Jimmy and others join in. 2:09. <applause> There may be a tape cut or splice at the end of this, then Frank says
"Thank You"/
[crowd settles]
Ray Collins: "I could be a slave for the rest of my life. As long as I know you'd be my wife."
"No Matter What You Do": very reminescent of what Flo n Eddie would later do. Ray Collins on lead vocal.
"No Matter what you do, can't hide my love for you.
You treat me bad girl (JCB),
I won't cry, I won't moan,
I'll work real hard for the rest of my days,
bring all my dough back home, oh-ohhh
and I don't care how you treat me.
I don't care how you treat me"

full music stop, with one sustained note on the organ and some drum rumble as Ray Collins talks,
"I'm an all-American boy, I love it,"
FZ: "Loves it."
Ray Collins: " Sock it to me, strap it to me. As long as we're together darling, thru the years, watching tv together,"
[Don Preston doodles with a cheesy melody on the organ]
"licking our coupons together. Saving stamps. Buying fruit. Smoking some fruit. Then we'll save all our stamps, we'll go down to the redemption center. Trade 'em in for a throw pillow that says,"
FZ: "I married Joan, lalala, --- nice to see,"
Ray Collins: "And besides darling, what makes it all so important, and what makes it have meaning, my darling, you know as well as I -- you've got big tits."
[that was the punchline with the spare ad lib music, immediately jumps back to the 'structured' music:]
"No Matter what you do, can't hide my love for you.
You treat me bad girl (JCB),
I won't cry, I won't moan,
I'll work real hard for the rest of my days,
Bring everything back home, oh ohhh
I don't care how you treat me.
I don't care how you treat me"
[music swills in suspense, various singers ad lib with]
'Oh, my oh my, "Indian style", oh me oh my, me oh my oh my, it's great" etc. [No Matter What You Do, total length 2:41]
and in the middle of this Ray interjects with
Ray Collins: "Knockin me down, spit in my face, slappin my name all over the place, . . . [band starts in]
Don't you, step on my Blue Suede Shoes . . .,"
"Blue Suede Shoes", 53 seconds
"Hound Dog", fourteen seconds
"Gee" , 1:33 seconds of music, all very quick run thru's . . . drums, bass and organ, fz seems to be directing all of this, incl the abrupt stops, the repeating of some measures, the changes to other songs etc.
[end song, applause, ]
FZ: "Thank You".
[tape splice]

"King Kong"
FZ: "The name of this song is King Kong. It's the story of a very large gorilla that lived in the jungle. And he was doing okay until some Americans came by and thought they would take him home with them. They took him to the United States and made some money by using the gorilla. Then they killed
him." 25 seconds of spoken intro
[applause]
intro with gong, then drum rumble . . . 34 seconds
King Kong melody, twice stated, with full band, horn stating the melody, 54 seconds
horn solo for 48 seconds,
staccato drum beat that builds tension and band overflows into a rock ensemble thing that swings for nearly two minutes! reminiscent of Absolutely Free jam (i.e. "Invocation and Ritual Dance of The Young Pumpkin")
Staccato percussion break again [One-TWO, One-TWO, One-TWO, One-Two] for 20 seconds then
an ascending swirl obviously directed by FZ, Ian Underwood sax solo in the distance (nearly a minute) then
a slow return to the lumbering King Kong 'middle' where horns and organ improvise (at 5:48) which continues at a pretty leisurely pace for nine minutes;
total time on King Kong, 14:18; Here a bass drum and horn squonks and single notes mark the transition to the next song

Roy making 'memay,mehmeh,maymay' sounds and horn squonks and vocals or organ thru oscillator sounds alternate, guttural vocal things like extended belches, fast speaking 'foreign' voices, Ray Collins in spanish, a number of monologues start and continue, what sounds like a radio is turned on and tuned in, all sounding like a cacophony that I am sure Frank was directing . . . , then at 3:10

FZ: "It Can't Happen Here, [others join in] it can't happen here. I'm telling you my dear, [Roy Estrada starts in with his baby-talk voice] that it can't happen here. Cuz I been checkin it out baby, I checked it out a couple o' times. Oh darling it's important that you believe me bopbopbopbop, that it can't happen here."
[Meanwhile the whole band is making vocal weird noises and voices, sounds like Martin Denny to me!]
FZ: "Whooooo could imagine that they would freak out somewhere in Sweden, Sweden, bop-di-bop-di-boo-bo. Whoooooo could imagine that they would freak out in Minnesota. Whoooo could imagine ", 47 seconds
Drum, organ, horn, sustained note and suspense builder that separates what came before, for a full minute with
Interference from a radio, tuning the radio, finding some classical station and messing with the organ, finding a swedish commentator on a channel and amplifying it, Don plays with his oscillators, this goes on for three minutes and ends on a single high-pitched note from the organ.
[long, sustained applause]
FZ: "Thank You"
[recurring rounds of sustained and increasing applause] track time 9:18

total time 37:01
'Tis The Season To Be Jelly, Rhino/Fooo-eeeee records, Beat The Boots II boxset

[Edited on 23-1-2007 by punknaynowned]
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 18:23

is anybody able to make any sense of this?
some feedback would be helpful:grin:
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 19:14

I thought I replied to this... where did it go?

Anyway I understand it, and it's :rsvd:! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws

Go To Top