PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  347
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 27-8-2009 at 10:11

No, of course, but if it evokes no sentiment with me whatsoever there's not much point in listening to it for me. It's just... boring, even if there is a story line attached.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-8-2009 at 17:43

Things are growing harsh here. Two of my family members have been hospitalized recently.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 28-8-2009 at 19:39

ouch, bad news, courage Bonny.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 10:58

Thank you. We'll be visiting our grandmother today, hope she's doing better.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 17:51

Went to visit Grandma. She's still got her fighting spirit, but seeing her tubed up is always painful. She has severe emphysema.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 18:41

too much smoking ?

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 21:10

Quote:
Originally posted by MTF
Our dishwasher died. Fortunately it was an electric one, and not a person.

We finally got it fixed. Turns out it was still under warranty, so they sent a guy out to take a look at it.

There was a piece of a rubber band stuck in the drain pump. It was just small enough to make it through the dishwasher's rather elaborate filtering system, and just big enough to get stuck in the pump mechanism.

Fortunately the pump shut off before it burned out.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 12:50

Yes Aqua... poor Gran has tried to quit several times but to no avail... she'll have to now, of course.

Good to hear your dishwasher is OK now, MTF!

Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 31-8-2009 at 06:22

I went to Berkeley today. I bought some records. I got Zoot Allures in great shape! Also Gentle Giant Aquiring the Taste, and Free Hand. The Tubes first album for 1 dollar! and I got McCoy Tyner Trios.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-9-2009 at 06:37

Yesterday I went to my favourite place in the world aside from my bed: De Efteling, the infamous Dutch fairy-tale themed park. It was fun, although we walked a lot and saw very little. I made a nice vid of the local jazz-band.

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 15:22

Hey everybody. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. There are some good reasons:

About a month ago my family house got raided by about ten police who came at 6.30am, before dawn, in five cars. My father who is a policeman and local government official is under investigation for stalking. He has been suspended from the police force until it's over. Anyway, the police came and took every computer in the house including my laptop. I didn't get it back for over a week and they still have the main PC which my Dad never uses as well as his laptop. It's been four and a half weeks. The police came and announced themselves and then proceeded to go into every room turning every light on and off over and over again for no apparent reason. They treated my younger sister pretty harshly and were pretty rude all round. To say it was a surreal experience is a major understatement.

My father and me do not get along. I have never liked him at all from a young age. My parents' relationship is a completely miserable one. My dad is a real jerk, a terrible husband and a shocking father. He is intolerant, angry, secretive, a liar, racist, homophobic (i'm not gay but my sister has lots of gay friends), uncaring, selfish etc etc. But at the same time he is a much respected public figure in the community. No one knows the truth about him except his family, who have to live with it every day. What has been annoying about this whole stalking investigation thing (i have no idea if he's guilty or not) is that my mother, sister and me have nothing at all to do with any of it, but it affects all of us. My sister hasn't had her computer for almost five weeks even though she is not the one being investigated.

Also, about two weeks ago I was walking around Melbourne and lost my 4GB usb key that had all my work on it for the whole year, including my honours thesis. I hadn't backed any of it up. I was able to recover some work that i'd sent to my supervisor via email, so that was good. But the rest is gone. Luckily i take all my notes and stuff by hand in notebooks.

Yes...August has been an ungood month and i'm supremely glad it's over. :cool:

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:38

Goodness, Scallop... that's horrible!

If it helps, I broke off contact with my mother several months back, as dealing with her mental illness became too much of a strain after over a decade of putting up with it. It taught me I need to think of myself a little more: after all I am the most important person to me, I have to put up with me all my life and I need to do anything in my power to prevent me from ending up like my mother. I don't usually tell people because they won't understand (and then they bring up non-arguments like "it IS your mother"), but it's so deliciously quiet now that I don't have to be used as Barbie every month.

And you're not alone in forgetting to back-up either... I nearly lost some compositions when my hard-disk died in the middle of playing Gabriel Knight 3. Fortunately it wasn't the game's fault and the disk worked again the next day.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 18:57

sorry to hear that scallop. I had no idea your homelife was so tough.

big bummer too to lose all your work.

Here's to taking strong healthy steps toward the future.
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 11:08

Yes yes yes. Thanks punk. And Bonny, it seems hard for people who have had a relatively *normal* family upbringing with both parents to understand because they think the bonds between husband/wife, parent/child etc are sacred and *unbreakable*. It isn't true, and in your situation it seems the best thing for you to do what you did. You aren't superhuman and some problems are unsolvable.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 20:50

Oh yes... I don't often tell my family background to other people... I've even gone as far as saying quietly "I have no mother" just to shut them up. Even if people can make some idea of it and can develop some understanding, it will still change the way they're looking at you.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-9-2009 at 20:31

Went to my cousin's birthday party. She turned 12. As our grandma was staying at her place to recover, she didn't have many people over. I did get two slices of birthday cake... need to try extra hard on my rounds tomorrow to get those calories off!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 17:42

Found out to my horror that one of the rides in my favourite-place-in-the-world De Efteling, a wooden coaster called Pegasus (from 1991) has been demolished. As it was the first large rollercoaster and the first woodie I ever rode, I have a lot of cherished memories to it... particularly that bend at the end where the lateral Gs nearly bruise your ribs. Oof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9dh2WVM9yg Before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFuxMGU0k0 After.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 10-9-2009 at 10:04

In case you noticed I hadn't been around for a while, I was in the hospital.

On Monday of last week (30 August), I wasn't feeling well. I had a bunch of symptoms that pointed to a heart problem. I called my doctor to see if he could squeeze me in, but he was out of town. His nurse suggested that I go to the local Urgent Care facility.

I saw one of the doctors who helped diagnose me with multiple sclerosis eleven years ago. He did some tests, including an EKG and some blood work. Everything came back negative, so he figured I was having some sort of allergic reaction. He sent me home with a handful of antihistamines.

They didn't help. If anything, the symptoms had gotten stronger. By 7am on Wednesday I couldn't stand it anymore. So I got in my truck and drove to the Emergency Room at the local hospital.

As I was explaining my symptoms to the receptionist (who's actually a nurse) I could see her getting stiffer and stiffer. She was typing like mad to get all my information into the computer. Then she grabbed the intercom and almost yelled "Triage to Emergency." Pretty obviously, it was my heart after all.

Within a few minutes I was on a gurney. One person was placing electrodes for another EKG; another was drawing blood from my left arm; a third was setting up my right arm for an IV; and all the while the Triage nurse was asking me a blizzard of questions.

My wife showed up amid all this. She had that "What the fuck?" look, which didn't exactly fill me with confidence. But I didn't get much chance to dwell on it, because they were giving me some morphine with my nitro glycerine. Heroin and explosives: now there's a fun combination.

Eventually a doctor came in and explained the situation. One of my coronary arteries was completely blocked, and as a result I had suffered a small heart attack. But he was worried about the bigger one that was coming. He wanted to perform what he called an "intervention" to clear out the artery. Basically, he was talking about angioplasty.

Given the choice between certain death and a 20-minute, virtually painless procedure with a decidedly ugly name, I don't think it was much contest.

Oh wait; there was a third option: open heart surgery. But my Dad had his chest cracked twice, and I heard there's a limit of two per family. Too bad...

They rolled me into the intervention room about 10:30. I was pretty doped out, but quite lucid. The surgeon had an Indian name, and a Texas accent. He started by making a small incision near my hip and inserting a chopstick-sized tube into an artery. Inside was a smaller prehensile tube, which he was able to push to the clogged artery, about two feet away. Then he popped out the clog and replaced it with a small metal tube called a stent. Then he was done. It only took two stitches to seal the centimeter-long wound.

I had to stay in the hospital for three days, while they adjusted my medication and tried to see if they could get me sick some other way. They finally let me out late Saturday afternoon.

So now I have a new doctor - a cardiologist - and a bag full of tasty new meds. And I'm going to need them to be tasty: because I have to change my diet as well. No more pork ice cream or chocolate-covered cigarettes.

Oh well. At least it's fucking great to be alive...

[Edited on 9/10/2009 by MTF]
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-9-2009 at 15:57

Is that the same as PCI? Great they discovered it in time! And I'm very very glad you're doing well!

Big hug!

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 10-9-2009 at 19:35

HOORAYY MTF!!!!
I'm glad you're still here
:-D:roll::bouncing::bouncing::roll::-D
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  347

Go To Top