PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  70    72    74  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 11-3-2011 at 10:28

You know I've played Sierra (game company) adventures since young age? I was a huge fan of Leisure Suit Larry, and I played GoldRush and Sid & Al's Incredible Toons. Later I discovered series like Phantasmagoria (I was so scared of it I couldn't finish it for a year) and Shivers. I discovered that Gabriel Knight was the most popular, so I played the floppy version of the first game, got nowhere and never looked back.

And then I saw Rocky Horror, wondered if that was the guy from Clue, checked Curry out on IMDB, discovered all the things I could have known him from if I had been paying attention (like Duckman and Pink Floyd: The Wall Live In Berlin), and decided to check him out more. Noticed Gabriel Knight on the list, and three days later I found GK3 in a goodwill store. Fell in love with the game music before Tim had even started talking.
You know, those books that are so good you can't put them down? Films that are so good you are biting your teeth until it's finished, when you completely forget time? I never knew a game could reach that level. And all three installments of GK are that good, even the one without Tim.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 02:35

I got right into xbox games for awhile after giving my sons an xbox about 8 years ago, but I went off them pretty quick. I don't like shoot em up games, or games with excessive violence. Elder Scrolls involved too much killing and what have you. The Harry Potter games were okay but I really only liked the second one. The original Wallace and Grommet wasn't too bad. Nightcaster was an engrossing challenge. I'm curious about GK, but if I can't find a Mac version I won't bother.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 09:39

We had lots of tsunami fun today. The waves started hitting here about 8am local time. News helicopters were jockeying for space above the Santa Cruz harbor, so they could get the best view of boats smashing into each other.

I think everybody except surfers were surprised at how powerful the waves were 6000 miles away from where they were generated.

Here's an interesting little 1-minute time-lapse video of some of the early tsunami surges. Each surge is about five minutes real time. Under normal conditions, the tide NEVER goes out this far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTJMShvpVUs

PS: You can see a surfer scurrying out of the water between surges, when he finally realizes what a fucking idiot he is...
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 10:29

Sounds like you will enjoy adventures more. They're more focused on problem solving, like reading Da Vinci Code and solving all the riddles yourself. Some are about solving concrete puzzles (like you're in a haunted house, and every room has a puzzle in it you need to solve, like an anagram or a chess puzzle. The 7th Guest is a game like that and it grew so massively popular it spawned dozens of imitations). In others there, say, might be a locked door, and you need to find a key. Or there is a locked door with a key on the other side, and you need to find a way of getting it out.

That's a cool time lapse, MTF!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 19:02

Caught a peribalus strictus on the first floor, had a good look at him and took him outside.
http://www.ahw.me/p1/holcostethus_strictus001b.html

DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 13-3-2011 at 23:43

That means that our neighbours are right.
There do live strange creatures in our house......

:forumsmiley246:

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-3-2011 at 14:24

Our Pinbot is breaking down, probably diode problem in the right flipper.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-3-2011 at 18:15

Dad fixed the right flipper, replaced the left flipper, replaced a rubber band and a small post that take ages to get to.

Painters came over to give the front door, garage door and all window frames a fresh coat of paint on the outside. All doors and most windows had to be open, so now it's freezing in here.

Also, I went to the dentist, and I'm OK!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 19-3-2011 at 07:16

Good to hear Bonny. I've got dental surgery scheduled for May. It won't be as traumatic as the last batch, but it's still fairly major. Last time I had a tooth removed and a bone graft done, which has turned out really well, so the problems I was having with the tooth before have been fixed.

This time coming up is to put in an implant. If that goes well, six months hence I'll get a crown and it'll be just as good as a real tooth and infinitely better than getting a bridge. It's very expensive but it should end up like I never had any trouble there in the first place, which is miraculous, because I've been having trouble with that tooth for more than fifteen years.

Last time I had to have a general anaesthetic, but this time it's just with a local so I have a Valium at the ready.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 19-3-2011 at 10:28

Just got home from seeing Primus. Easily the loudest concert we've been to since ZPZ (when we were sitting in the front row right in front of the speakers).

The show was presented by Green Gopher Garden Supply; the business run by Les Claypool's brother. The show was a benefit for Les' nephew. Les also announced that his step-father was in the audience, and was seeing him play for the first time.

They played some songs from their upcoming album, including one about fishing. Les admitted he's never been fishing in his life. I couldn't really follow the lyrics, but I got the idea the song isn't really about fishing. I think "fishing" is a metaphor.

Les Claypool really is a kickass bassist. The bass is an easy instrument to play - even Sid Vicious could do it - but it's extremely difficult to play well. And to play it at a virtuoso level is very rare. Few musicians that good would bother with the bass.

And he's the only guy I've ever seen play a bass with a whammy bar. You gotta like that.

But seriously: I was not expecting a mosh pit. Fortunately we were standing behind two big guys; so we got knocked around some, but we didn't get smashed...
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-3-2011 at 10:38

You were going to Primus and not expecting a mosh pit?
That's odd if he says he's never been fishing. It can't be what I think it means (that is, the type of hunting where you catch the denizens of the deep)

Hope you'll be all-right, Poly! It sure sounds nasty!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 20-3-2011 at 05:14

Bonny, I'll be alright, the worst part is over with, apparently.

MTF, have you heard the Five Peace Band, either live or on CD? The bass playing there, by Charlie McBride is pretty amazing.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2011 at 22:16

wrote an article last night, finished another and then posted both.
Got up late. Responded to comments. Read a bunch of articles.
Looks more and more like the new normal for me.
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 11:21

I finished my 4 week contract last week and I've been at a bit of a loose end this week, although I seem to be getting back into music composition mode. Tonight I got a phone call from the school I just worked in to do a day of TRT (Temporary Relief Teaching) tomorrow as one of their maths teachers is having a day off. I need the money and accepted enthusiastically but still have that deep down wrench if you know what I mean. Oh well, up early tomorrow.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 20:07

Hope all goes well, Poly!
Been drawing a lot lately. Great to be back there. I've also tried to pick up my calligraphy again (the amount of calligraphy pens I have now is astounding... alas the bulk is not working).

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 27-3-2011 at 04:01

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Hope all goes well, Poly!
Thanks, it did go well. Now I've got another TRT day on Monday.
Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Been drawing a lot lately. Great to be back there. I've also tried to pick up my calligraphy again (the amount of calligraphy pens I have now is astounding... alas the bulk is not working).
I'm not trying to be pernickety about your English, I just want to make sure I understand your point, are you saying that the majority of your pens don't work?

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 27-3-2011 at 12:10

Yes. It's those cursed fountain pens, you know. I'm very glad our arts teacher made my class do calligraphy for months: it improved my handwriting greatly. It was near illegible for years.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 07:34

My handwriting was bad as a kid, then I broke my wrist at 13. The doctors did a bad job fixing it and my hand writing has been pretty much atrocious ever since. If I make a really sustained effort I can be reasonable, but if I just let go and write it's a bit of a mess.

Anyway, today's TRT is finished, so I'm putting my feet up.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-3-2011 at 11:21

Ouch! Sounds like you fell pretty hard!
Did you ever consider getting another operation done? I can imagine a bad hand writing is tough when you're a teacher.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 29-3-2011 at 00:04

I have a permanent break near the tip of my ulna in my right arm and I've been told it's virtually impossible to fix. It hasn't prevented me developing a decent squash game and is probably not that responsible for my bad hand writing. Back in school when we did archery I discovered that I was quite good when I did it left handed. I could push on the bow with my right hand (pulling is when I have a problem) and pull the string with my left, but the PE teacher, a complete asshole who was responsible for me breaking my arm in the first place, forbade me to do it left handed, so I gave up a sport I was potentially good at.

Pages:  1  ..  70    72    74  ..  348

Go To Top