PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  106    108    110  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 16-6-2012 at 18:44

I'll talk to Julien soon, see if I can get more information. And I'll suggest a benefit concert, maybe even bring my blind friend in (we'd already agreed we'd do something together at a cafe night).

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 10:04

Neighbor's dog ate all our strawberries... :crying::swear:

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 23:22

That would anger me to say the least. I'm generally an animal lover but that dog would have to be converted to cat food.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-6-2012 at 16:10

Is there a substantial difference between dog food and cat food, or is it the same smelly goop with different labels?

Woke up early due to a heavy thunderstorm. It caused much delay with the trains.
Visited second-hand store, bought two Muppet-puppets, Gonzo and Statler.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-6-2012 at 19:38

One of the people affected by the train trouble was my sister. And she got on the news! Go sis!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 19-6-2012 at 00:20

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Is there a substantial difference between dog food and cat food, or is it the same smelly goop with different labels?
It's not about the difference per se. Cats hate dogs. Dogs hate cats even more. It's about the ultimate humiliation for a dog being to end up as cat food.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2012 at 08:08

hahahha poly! never heard that before!
ZP! don't get washed away in the flood!
tonight:
1969 07 08 Boston, MA: a favorite. A bit longer than the rhino-boot, 'The Ark' without those glorious skips! But the tape ends in the same place, I'm pretty sure. Hot in kansas. Crazy politics these silly people are yelling, huh? Nice to see gas prices have dropped again.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 21:37

Home of the ill today. Neither one of us had been feeling well, and in the evening we both contracted stomach flu.

Yesterday I managed to score a massive allergic reaction from our conifers: I was tying these little wooden racks to them to keep the dog out, but unfortunately the work covered my hands with huge white bumps, like mosquito bites.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 21-6-2012 at 01:09

I've got my first big exam tomorrow and this morning I'm just coming out the other side of a migraine which triggered off at 3:00AM overnight. I feel like crap but needs must when the devil drives.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 21-6-2012 at 13:54

hurrah! we had a storm here last night and a measurable amount of rain!
we've had it very dry here this year, so any we get is welcomed.
I even turned off the air conditioner and opened the house.
Boy that was a mistake. It'll take hours to cool back down to what it was.
All the humidity filled up the air in here in a matter of minutes, raising the temperature 5F.
I would let it equalize and then remembered there's all these books and things out...
they'll warp and get wobbly from the wet!
Gotta keep my priorities straight!

So today I don't go to work, I listen to zappa!

aLways a favorite are the early mothers for me and today, one's I haven't heard in a while,
1968 10 06 Bremen - great recording after a little panning and distortion at the start, a blue suede/all night long kinda jam that falls away after three minutes into the middle section of king kong (which I think is only on record, aka officially released as a part of littlehouseiusedtolivein from 'bws') - followed by directed weirdness for a minute and then a nice pound for a brown, but short and direct, then sleeping in a jar a la 'ahead of their time', but for over 12 minutes - really a very balanced mix. A little bit in the red from the organ and bass but that's not bad and easily eased out. Drums sound great! And Roy, and Frank's guitar, then Don goes all Deep Purple, before they existed. Definitely an on-stage recording! Uncle Meat slides into Lohengrin, then they play Let's Make the Water Turn Black and a surprise Octandre ending. Exciting show that shows off the talents in great sound. But way too short. They probably had to open for somebody else.
the Amsterdam show is longer at 93 minutes, but is also a keeper
1968 10 20 Amsterdam: mostly great sound with definitive mothers songs;
a 13 minute song that starts out like 'Help I'm a Rock' and has some of the transylvania boogie in it and ends up with some very gypsy-sounding, aelian mode things, I think in a funny time sig. followed by a nearly 7 minute drum duet. after that comes the piece that sounds like prelude to 'what' - with an umlaut - on the rhino-boot on electric aunt jemima. Maybe I'm all wrong but it goes into that 'dog breath' too.
It's already been a long time since I heard this. Another great recording. Why it made my list.
there's got to be a dozen at least 1968-69 live recordings that I think are must haves for mothers fans. Maybe fifteen hours. Plus the radio shows for sure.

[Edited on 21-6-12 by punknaynowned]
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 21-6-2012 at 15:25

I'm not ignoring you Punky I'm just distracted. Now it's coming up to midnight and I have to find a way to get to sleep if I'm going to cope with tomorrow's challenge.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-6-2012 at 17:14

If you'd like to write your boot reviews for the site sometime...
Hope you feel better, Poly. Good luck on the exam!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 22-6-2012 at 13:58

Yoo hoo!! It went well. One more to go.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 24-6-2012 at 11:51

I've volunteered for blind-dog again. This time it'll be paid for me, but it's short term: 7 and 8 July. Just had the form I needed to fill in: turns out I have to give up my length from shoulder to ground, my chest size, and shoe size. Oh dear, what have I gotten myself in to?

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 25-6-2012 at 02:05

I'm going to a funeral. A lecturer I first met when I first studied at Adelaide Uni 25 years ago. We'd been chatting quite a bit since I came back this year and he was very encouraging. I thought it was his age, he's 72, but apparently it was a car accident when he was visiting New Zealand. Sad.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 25-6-2012 at 05:53

sorry to hear poly,
caring for others Bonny is maybe the best thing we can do!

tonight I'm listening to the recent deluxe version of the rolling stone's 2 disc version of 'some girls' on youtube. The new material is better than the original in many cases and maybe *because* the original was so overplayed.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-6-2012 at 10:34

Sorry to hear about that, Poly...

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 26-6-2012 at 12:08

"Outside Now" has always been one of my very favorite Zappa songs.

First, of course I heard it and fell for it on Joe's Garage. The lyrics in that point of the story I could relate to and on top of that was way better than what David Gilmore or Eric Clapton could even think of doing. A bigger deal I guess when I was 20. Ha!
The Guitar version was great and I got into the '84 and '88 version in my twenties. Figured I was 'target audience' in a way, too, but didn't think about that at the time, only later. The bedeviling part for the conscience brain will do it's thing.
But of course I wanted more eventually.
Turns out the song's genesis was neat too as displayed in the live recordings from early 1979.
There's half a dozen of those early 'Outside Now' solos that were structured as part of , that is, inside a 'City of Tiny Lights' solo. Complete with the rhythm backing - that ascending and descending lyrical line, that Frank would improvise over. And these have that sound effect/gizmo box of sounds played live as intro.
And also the same background rhythm was later used on synclavier in part of 'Outside Now' Again on The Perfect Stranger'.
There is also a rehearsal piece from December 1978 with the same background with the band working it out and Frank playing over it. This for me acted as a bridge, musically between the 'original' outside now and the 'again' version on The Perfect Stranger which seems very different because of the instrumentation.
Last night I listened to a bunch of these versions:bouncy:
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 26-6-2012 at 18:36

In 57 hours time I will be seeing what's it like on the outside.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-6-2012 at 21:35

It's been a strange day out here today.
An employee of a delivery company walked up to our house, looked, walked away and came back. My father opened the door to him and asked what he was up to: he was just busy writing a note that he delivered the package next door. He walked away, but didn't give us that note.
I went to the neighbors to pick it up. It was a set of helium tanks, enough to inflate 60 balloons. We weren't expecting anything at all, so I had a good look and found it was intended for the people at 35, not us.
So I grabbed the parcel and went up to deliver it myself: not easy. Helium may be lighter than air but those tanks certainly weren't. #35 wasn't easy to find, but I managed and delivered it. Came home. Mail had arrived: for the people at #21.
Hallucinogens in the coffee? ;)

Anyway, the graffiti festival Step In The Arena was last weekend. Unfortunately Sunday was quite rainy, so there wasn't as much superb stuff as the previous years, but I made a few nice shots anyway.

And this sheep at the petting zoo, of course. The key to a good petting zoo photo is to be quick taking a snapshot, before they realize that you didn't bring any food and lose interest.

Here and there I tried to add things so you can realize the scale: a pavement tile is about 1 foot long.

Pages:  1  ..  106    108    110  ..  348

Go To Top