PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  111    113    115  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 21:40

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
I am translating articles from various sources that can be found in the Dutch Royal Library. There are over 700 articles in total, so unless they're special I'm not translating them. Just did a gorgeous review of the '71 concert with Flo and Eddie, Billy The Mountain travelling to Amsterdam and visiting Soestdijk... man how I wish I could've been there...

:bouncy:clapclapclapclap:bouncy:

[Edited on 10-8-12 by punknaynowned]
DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 21:37

This day is a rest day. Bonny and I went to Delft yesterday . A very important and well conservated city in Holland. Delft is primarily known for its typically Dutch town centre (with canals); also for the painter Vermeer, Delft Blue pottery (Delftware), the Delft University of Technology, and its association with the Dutch royal family, the House of Orange-Nassau.We went to visit the Steen (a medieval prison) the new church and the old church and off course walking around the canals.

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

baddevil.gif posted on 12-8-2012 at 12:11

Here's what we did: ve visited Delft. Not Delft's prime attraction, but the old town hall prison and two churches.

The prison is called Het Steen and is part of the Delft town hall. The Delft town hall burnt down twice (wooden buildings, ya know) but after the second time, Delft had become a wealthy place. For the relative small sum of 12,000 guilders, it was built around the surviving stone tower of the previous town halls, by notable architect Hendrik de Keyser.

Entrance to the prison, where the interrogation also took place. It's built with solid and original oak (containing lots of inscriptions by prisoners) around stone: not easy to escape without bribing someone. The air is very stuffy, as you can imagine, with all that wood and little ventilation. It did have an extra window added to it.

The instruments in the pictures are all real and were actually used back in the day.
The most famous prisoner ever to be locked up in De Steen, was Balthasar Gerards, murderer of William the Silent. I won't repeat here what happened to this guy. His "interrogation procedures" didn't happen here though, that happened in the Hague: BG probably "only" spent time in the chokey.

This stuffy and small 4 by 4 meter cell was used for all the town prisoners and would often be full. The torture would be visible to all prisoners, so they could see what was in store for them.

Brekebeen in Dutch, the Break-A-Leg: nasty criminals would be tied to it and be hit twice on each limb, thus breaking all the bones in arms and legs, causing slow and agonizing death. If you paid a bit of extra money to the executioner, he'd hit your heart as a mercy kill. Of course, some people would pay the executioner to deal out the mercy blow. They also had one of those stretch banks but I apparently don't have a good picture. Nor did I take a picture of the "huik": a bottomless barrel with a hole in the top, that had to be worn by adulterous men as a coat. It was very heavy and wearing it would mean getting egged, mocked, spat at and all.

If orphans had been trying to escape the orphanage, they would be chained to these heavy blocks and force to bring them with them to school/church for days, which would result in mockery, rotten food throwing and all.

The cell within the chamber for the nastier prisoners. Food was only shoved through the window in the door and the bad prisoners had to rely on the ones in the main chamber to get their food.

Original window: 5 sets of iron bars thick. I took this pic through the holes of the first one so that doesn't show.

[spoiler]This is the chokey. After prisoners were sentenced to death, they were put in here between conviction and execution. It's 90 cm high (less than 3 foot), no fresh air, no food, unable to stand, naturally no bathroom facilities... A lot of people died in the chokey already: which could possibly be not as awful as the public execution.

The prison section of the tour only lasted fifteen minutes, but it's not something I'm likely to forget soon. Eek.

Anyway afterwards we went to visit two churches, the Old and the New church, which was also harsh on the lungs. Here's the New one:

It was new at the time of course, but it was built between 1400 and 1655. The colour differences of the steeple are caused by the different materials: the second octagonal is getting black from acid rain, an irreversible process. It's also darker on one side than on the other because of the wind. Most famously, this church is the final stop for the Dutch royal family and it hosts the imposing William the Silent tomb.

The Imposing William The Silent tomb. It cost a fortune to make: about 3 times as much as the town hall. Designed by Hendrick de Keyser, it was completed in 1623, has 7 major statues and is made of black, white and gold-veined marble.

The Old Church has a leaning steeple.

This one hosts other famous casualties: Johannes Vermeer, H.K. Poot (poet), Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (who founded microbiology, vastly improved microscopes and did a lot of research in the field), Piet Hein (captured the Spanish treasure fleet) and Maarten Tromp.

Interestingly, both churches have very new glass-in-lead windows, they didn't start re-installing stained glass until 1921. All the old glass was ruined in the Delftse Donderslag, when a gunpowder storage blew up, killed hundreds and destroyed 500 houses and every window in town.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 15:33

great pictures!
thanks for the tour!!!
:bouncing:
BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 21:57

You're welcome!
Didn't make the video, but I did take the ride at sunset, which was beautiful and awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYwvHjgDJU

Sorry about the mistake, I updated the link now!

[Edited on 13-8-12 by BBP]

KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

Mood: Not nessaceraly stoned but beautiful

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 22:24

Great tour of "The Torture Never Stops" kinda place BP.I wonder if your drifting off into S&M now? :lol:

Been in hospital for a few days.I bashed my elbow and it turned into an infection.Now I'm at home resting with antibiotics pumping into me on one arm and a suck vac attached to the other arm with wound.Can't comb/wash hair and am feeding myself left handed.What fun.It's going on 3 days of over 100 degrees with more to come.Oh joy.I'm to depleted of strenth to type anymore.
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 15:22

get well soon Kiirk :bouncy:
BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 16:35

Oh right, can you picture me in like a leather teddy? Yeah right, "hurt me hurt me" I'm sure, no way!
(Dad that's an FZ reference)
Get well soon, Kirk! (hug)

BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 12:03

Read that there are riots in Amiens, where Aqua lives. Are you OK Aqua?

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 16:27

Sorry to hear about your plight Kirk. Hang in there mate.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 20:18

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Read that there are riots in Amiens, where Aqua lives. Are you OK Aqua?
Yes, I'm ok, I didn't even know about that until I read your post. It happened in a very specific district of the city that has undergone a lot of changes recently since a few derelict buildings must be destroyed to create new ones in the next 5 years. It's a district where a lot of poor people live and where a lot of drug trafficking takes place and there have been a few fights with the police since the beginning of the destructions a few months ago, because some of these buildings were used to stock weapons and drugs. It's a typical "ghetto" story.

BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 20:29

Hmmm... I see a connection with Waalre...

KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 06:11

Thanks folks.I tell ya the cure was worse than the ailment.They took me off the antibodies today as my blood work showed it was shutting down my kidneys too.A side effect in some they say.Still shakey and now the damn walk about thingy is going off! I should have got a lap top.
Talk to ya'll soon as I can sit up for more than 10:00 min.The well wishes are much apprieciated,thanx folk's. {-
BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 16:13

Feel better!

I'm hard at work to finish the forum B-day present.

KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

[*] posted on 19-8-2012 at 04:31

Finish that Frank damn project BP and I'll be on chat tomorrow.I'll try and be on from 3-7 PST,if that's alright with everyone.
Feeling better,still weak though.Saving my strenth for the Zappa.com forum chat room Frank damn special gab fest and all around good vibe thing for the 10th forum B-day.Talk to you in real time tomorrow. {-

[Edited on 10/10/10 by KAPTKIRK]
BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 20-8-2012 at 22:44

Finished it, will publish tomorrow.

KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

[*] posted on 21-8-2012 at 00:51

Oh boy,can't wait Bonny! Bet your glad your done with all of us bugging you about it.

Nurse is on the way,I seem to be swelling some.Water retention? I thought that was a female trip! My toes look like those little sausages,and only my left hand is swollen...Hmmm?
I probably got something like the west nile virus from a mosquito,the way this thing is playing out.Blood work-up should tell the tale.We'll see. {-
KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

[*] posted on 21-8-2012 at 01:55

Go to emergency,do not collect $200,go directly to emergency! Blood Pressure is sky high.Talk to you??????? Like Rosanna Anna Danna,it's always something! {-
KAPTKIRK
Honorary Member

[*] posted on 21-8-2012 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by KAPTKIRK  
Go to emergency,do not collect $200,go directly to emergency! Blood Pressure is sky high.Talk to you??????? Like Rosanna Anna Danna,it's always something! {-

4 hours + and back with new BP medicine. 210 over 110 Jeeze Louise!

BTW: BP = Blood Pressure,this time only.Sorry Bonny,I forgot until I reread the post! :blush: Besides I'm a sick guy,show some mercy...please. :grin: LOL!

[Edited on 10/10/10 by KAPTKIRK]
BBP
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 21-8-2012 at 11:01

Quote: Originally posted by KAPTKIRK  

Odd you say that, only yesterday I had the idea of a Zappa monopoly!

Pages:  1  ..  111    113    115  ..  348

Go To Top