PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  115    117    119  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 19-9-2012 at 11:47

Yeah. For my Zappa Cluedo I picked three characters whose name has a colour in it (Bobby Brown, Ms Pinky and Green Genes), the Father because there's a reverend in Cluedo, and the other two ladies just because (actually Rhonda because I didn't want another groupie).
Perhaps it's my style that makes it look familiar. Particularly on the little umbrellas, since I drew a lot of them on the 50 Titles picture.

Canarsie could alternatively be called Nowhere.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 19-9-2012 at 12:15

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Canarsie could alternatively be called Nowhere.
I think the Carnarsians might object. :duh:

Unfortunately, with my Mum, it's good news and bad news. The bad news is that she has a persistent infection and we still have to wait for it to be gone before we can get any definitive long term diagnosis of her neurological health. Hence there are also catch twenty-twos about how to get home assistance with her situation, which is basically what we were trying to resolve by taking her to the hospital today in the first place. The good news is tentative, in that they are of the opinion that her health is not otherwise that bad. All three of us still feel like shit.

The birthday bash at my Dad's on Sunday went went well, and we didn't jinx him, for his actual turning 90, two days later on Tuesday.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-9-2012 at 11:12

Or maybe Canarsie is Nowhere.

My sister turns 32 today. That's 20 in hexadecimal numbers.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 18:03

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Bought the infamous and pre-Internet-era book Broodje Aap by Ethel Portnoy. It's a collection of urban myths.

Much to my surprise I found FZ was mentioned in it: on a story about one Owsley (who dragged a holy book to the prison, to "read to" hippies, while each and every page of that book was drenched with LSD), Portnoy writes:

"In the 60s, there was an enormous fad among Californian teens about the mischievous Owsley. In the song Hey Punk by Frank Zappa [sic] the Punk says "I'm going to San Fransisco to sleep on Owsley's floor". In a book on the children of hippies (J. Rothchild and S. Wolf, The Children of the Counterculture, New York, 1976) a commune is mentioned where some ow "Owsley's children" live.
Did "Owsley" really exist? It might not be a coincidence that his name is similar to 'Uilenspiegel'.

Looked him up and discovered that Portnoy's research could've been much better, and not just because there's no "Hey Punk" song by Frank Zappa

Augustus Owsely Stanley III (aka 'Bear') was a real person. He did sound for the grateful dead for years, manufactured and gave away a bunch of LSD and spent time in prison for that. He died March 2011 in a car wreck. The wiki is good and informative.

Warning! Pulled heartstring alert!
HB ZP!
Glad to see folks on the mend. Sorry to hear about your mom and dad Poly.
We buried my mom on Monday. She died of cancer after beaten it twice before.
She was 83, lived a full life and bore six kids incl me. We loved her and she loved us with the gift of unconditional love - which seems incomparable. I am fine, and will drive her car away and carry some furniture and things I've known all my life back the 320km to where I live. Tomorrow. She never smoked or drank but on a few rare holidays. Wrote letters to her beau off in the Pacific in WWII. Married him when he got back. Lost her husband of 44 years to brain cancer. Lived the next 20 years with diabetes and insulin shots. She'll be missed. But it all has gone as well as can be expected. And so I remain grateful to her even in death. :crying:

So last night when I got back for a couple days,
I listened to,
1968 05 03 Denver
1982 07 07 Milano, IT
1970 11 20 Columbus, OH
:biggrin:
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 19:23

Terribly sorry to hear about your mother, Punky, she sounds like a wonderful person...

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 22-9-2012 at 02:00

Hey Ned, I'm sorry to hear about your Mum. There's noting to be sorry about with my Dad, at this stage, we had a good time at his place and he's doing well for a 90 year old. My Mum is the only worry at the moment, but according to her latest tests the infection may finally be abating. We're having a meeting with her GP tomorrow to discuss how to proceed from here.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 22-9-2012 at 14:01

Thanks Bonny and Geoff!
I got to see my aunt and uncle (mom's sister + husband of 60 years) on tuesday. They are 83 and are falling apart even after a whole life of healthy farm living here in Kansas. So I can only imagine about yer dad. It just happens. Mom was mentally sharp even after they put her on percocets. Aware of all that was going on but not able to communicate much after that.

One thing I should mention is how wonderful hospice was for all concerned. Paid thru medicare after the diagnosis of terminal cancer, they were able to provide everything for dying at home. Their focus is on making everyone comfortable in the dying process, which by itself is a profound notion. Mom was scared to bathe in the shower as she could no longer stand so hospice brought a chair and a hose so she could use the shower.

detail alert!!! :shy:
Hospice brought her a potty when she couldn't make it to the bathroom. Brought a hospital bed that could be raised, lowered, heated etc. Delivered meds, had a nurse on call to check vitals but talk us through all our issues, had an assistant who would come every day to clean her and when mom couldn't etc. It is astounding how essential they quickly became. There are different forms of this service all over the world. Check it out. We all agreed, if we get terminal cancer, we all definitely want to die at home with loved ones and with the help of hospice. didn't cost us a thing. They recommended things like anti-anxiety meds and raising her meds from percocet to morphine and the doctor just agreed on their recommendation. It was a very seemless process so that we could focus on mom and being with her and looking at her issues not running around trying to get meds or coordinating hospital visits, fretting about her estate or anything like that. Maybe it's hard to see what a relief hospice was without enduring it but there you go. Personal testimony right here if this should happen to you or yours. :thumbup:
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 22-9-2012 at 14:08

last night listened to Neil Young's Tonight's the Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LVIi7pzZI&
aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 23-9-2012 at 12:06

Had an internet breakdown last week but now I'm back. :bouncy:

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-9-2012 at 22:06

Great to have you here again, Aqua!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 24-9-2012 at 02:10

Quote: Originally posted by aquagoat  
Had an internet breakdown last week but now I'm back.
Is that a type of nervous breakdown? A colleague of mine in 2010 told me about one of his sons at the late teenage stage whom they thought was too obsessed with the internet and decided to give him an enforced break from it. He then proceeded to have a nervous breakdown. Glad you're back on line. Whatever anyone says, it is a valuable and important part of modern life.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 24-9-2012 at 08:43

Got back Saturday night. All is well.
listened to a couple shows yesterday whilst looking at all the stuff and cleaning and rearranging what I have to make the new arrivals fit.
1988 05 28 Linz, Austria
1970 11 27 Manchester, Great Britain
aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 26-9-2012 at 18:40

Quote: Originally posted by polydigm  
Quote: Originally posted by aquagoat  
Had an internet breakdown last week but now I'm back.
Is that a type of nervous breakdown? A colleague of mine in 2010 told me about one of his sons at the late teenage stage whom they thought was too obsessed with the internet and decided to give him an enforced break from it. He then proceeded to have a nervous breakdown. Glad you're back on line. Whatever anyone says, it is a valuable and important part of modern life.
well, no, it's not that kind of breakdown, I just wanted to say that my internet connection had broken down.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 27-9-2012 at 04:45

Hey Aqua, I really didn't think you'd had a nervous breakdown, it's just that your being off the air for a week reminded me of that story. And it also made me think about how we have all become quite dependent on the internet. Not that I think that's a bad thing.

Anyway, you've told me many times before, but please tell me again, where do you live in France? I'll be there some time in January.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-9-2012 at 17:19

Amiens.

Hit the town earlier today, there was a CD fair. Was rather small, but I beat the odds and found Tim Curry's Fearless: Curry didn't tour The Netherlands in his rock star days and Rocky Horror never took off here, so over here it's a rare find.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 16:36

Yes that's right I live in Amiens, a bit in the norh of the country.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 01:02

Hey, Aqua, you're not reading your U2U.

I'm just coming up for air after a big batch of marking. Nothing exciting to report. I hope everyone's okay?

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 04:58

I'm fine, having to go thru a total house clean and rearrangement as appropriate.
New zppa product and all that will just have to wait.
But I do listen almost daily to something, like
1980 12 11 Santa Monica Early+Late shows and
1974 10 31 Felt Forum, NY E+L
each date either a little more or a little less than 4 hours
and very different, tho each have a different version of Night Owl

:thumbup:

I'm finishing the second one tonight

[Edited on 2-10-12 by punknaynowned]
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 09:57

My sister came over for the weekend to celebrate her birthday with us. We watched Richard III (the Laurence Olivier version) and had a lot of fun.
I'd intended to make another theme park visit today, but unfortunately my sister had been ill and was still recovering, and I caught her bug. Now I have a sore throat and am filled with mucus.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 16:25

Went to the store and bought cold meds and a camera SD card. Proceeded to enter each and every store I dislike to spread my germs.

Pages:  1  ..  115    117    119  ..  348

Go To Top