PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  250    252    254  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 01:52

Quote: Originally posted by aquagoat  
Quote: Originally posted by polydigm  
I've been playing drums for more than three months now and really enjoying it. Talking about patience, I ordered a set of effects cymbals from eBay last week and the guy still hasn't shipped them. I'm really looking forward to using them. Come on!!
-I'd really like to play drums. I think it s an awesome instrument. I've got great respect for them drummers, especially death metal and jazz drummers, they make me feel like the guitar is such an easy instrument to play.
I know a drummer who tried to play the guitar once but gave up because it was too difficult.

Drums are like anything else, even you have a knack for playing them, they require consistent, concerted and ongoing effort to master.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 05:29

I've been playing drums for more than three months now and really enjoying it. Talking about patience, I ordered a set of effects cymbals from eBay last week and the guy still hasn't shipped them. I'm really looking forward to using them. Come on!!
-I'd really like to play drums. I think it s an awesome instrument. I've got great respect for them drummers, especially death metal and jazz drummers, they make me feel like the guitar is such an easy instrument to play.
I know a drummer who tried to play the guitar once but gave up because it was too difficult.

Drums are like anything else, even you have a knack for playing them, they require consistent, concerted and ongoing effort to master.
I agree with you. Every discipline is a question of training, applying yourself to it and doing it.

I'm getting a bit tired of playing the guitar, at the moment, I'd really like to play a new instrument. i'm thinking about a keyboard or drums.Or maybe a saxophone.

BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 06:40

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
... the Cluedo game is still going, from mid April ...
One evening after dinner, I can do it, but waiting a couple of months for a result? I wouldn't have the patience for that.
Quote:
... he had 2 turns more than me ...
How is that possible in Cluedo?

Well, my fellow players seem to be getting tired. We've picked up the pace in the sense we no longer wait 4 days for a person to respond before game master steps in, but there's now an iron rule of 24 hours - 24 hours to disprove or else game master does it for you, 24 hours to make a suggestion or lose a turn.

The person before me asked a suggestion, I couldn't disprove. The player after me said he couldn't disprove, but we later learned he could. As his punishment everybody got to see this card he should have shown. He asked if he got to go again, which game master allowed (I personally thought that was a bit much since that puts you at a great advantage provided you ask well, and this is a good player). So he has 1 extra turn.
And this is 2 turns more than me when he has asked and I haven't yet.

Good luck with the drums Poly!

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 06:49

My apologies for leaving the spammer out two days...

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 17:42

I’m not sure I get why he should have an extra move, especially after cheating. I’d be banning him from the next game.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 20:20

No the person who asked for those cards got an extra move.

Caputh
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 21:13

You need to play against my older brother - he's useless at Cluedo. Mind you, he's very good at Monopoly. He has an amusing, but annoying habit of singing: "Riding along on the crest of a mortgage", when you're losing to him and have just mortgaged "Old Kent Road".
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 09:13

It's no fun playing against people who are useless at Cluedo. :)

Well I thought I had the winning suggestion but it's just been disproved... :(

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 14:45

No the person who asked for those cards got an extra move.
That wasn't clear from how you explained it. The other guy should not get an extra turn as the information he asked for still came to light.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 16:46

You're right, sorry about that...

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 01:47

You're right, sorry about that...
Don't worry, no harm done. :)

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 02:42

My effect cymbal pack arrived yesterday. I'm like a kid in a toy shop. I got my drum kit at the end of March. An old drummer friend found it online for me when I was considering buying a new set, which would have been expensive and limiting. I ended up with a second hand, PDP Concept Maple, seven piece drum kit with a Sabian XSR, six piece cymbal set plus all the appropriate hardware, and a bonus double bass pedal, all in very good condition for a ridiculously cheap price. I'm currently using the single pedal. There are plenty of very inspirational drummers out there using only a single bass drum pedal.

My new effects cymbals include an 8" china plus 9" splash stack, which you can see to the right of the hi-hats, which came with the extension arm hardware included. This is what inspired me to get this set in the first place. I was watching a video of Sarah Thawer, who is an amazing drummer, who uses a single bass pedal, demonstrating the use of Indian rhythms on a drum kit and she has a three cymbal stack to imitate a clapping effect. So I did some research and eventually came across this effects set by Rech Cymbals, a company created by this Australian guy who gets them made in China and also Turkey.

I really wanted to get a bell as well and this new set included a 6" Bell. It sounds fantastic. You can see it mounted above the 16" crash cymbal on an included mount, above left of the hi-hats. The third cymbal, that I was least excited about, is a 10" splash, because I already have one, but I was getting this new set for virtually half the price and as it turns out, it sounds very different to the other one and is already coming in very handy. This is mounted above the 18" crash, also on an included mount, in the top left corner of the picture. You can see my other splash, mounted on the bass drum, in between the two crash cymbals.

I started a new composition inspired by twiddling around on my classical guitar while watching that film called Denial yesterday. If you haven't seen it I can recommend it. Later on I got on the drum kit to work on the drum part which significantly features my new cymbals.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 05:32

Hahaha, brilliant! Have fun with that new toy, Poly!!!

As for me, after a while feeling tired and stuck in a rut guitar-wise, I'm starting rbuild interest in the instrument thanks to the use of the tapping technique. I used to use this technique but quie simplistically. Now i'm training to try to use all my fingers, and it provides me with the possibility for interesting entertwined lines, counterpoints and stuff, or even for rhythm parts. The possibilities for wide intervals are quite appealing. It's refreshing.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 07:42

Awesome Poly!!

My music is getting stuck in a rut now with work, but I'm so happy with work it's OK...

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 12:46

Bonny, there's nothing wrong with having a job and earning money. It's an important fundamental. You'll find time for your music. Look at me, I'm 62. Have you seen that 103 year old French pianist who just released an album of her playing?

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 13:09

Aqua, it's always good to have goals. I won't go into one of those self help type rants, about scheduling and focus and so on, because I don't have the personality to follow them myself. I need to follow my whims musically and most of what I do ends up helping in some manner or other in the long run and I rarely get bored with it. I am able to persist with various instrumental exercises for quite long periods of time and I think that's enough discipline for me.

But goals are definitely good. For example, I resurrected my classical guitar recently and have set a goal of eventually recording a performance of an arrangement of Echidna's Arf. I was already trying to play it recently on a steel string acoustic and an electric, which I've been doing on and off having transcribed it a long time ago, but have never ended up with an arrangement I was completely happy with. Now with the classical guitar, I've come up with a complete arrangement that's very satisfying, which sounds really cool on that instrument - pick style, not finger style - I just have to practice it now until I master it.

Then there's that new composition I started yesterday, so now I'm also driven to come up with a suitable drum part. Then when I'm tired of all that I play the piano for an hour or two and there are a couple of pieces on the piano that I'm getting ready for recording. So I have multiple goals, I can't work linearly, I have to have several on the go at a time and periodically one get's completed.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 05:32

Yep, Poly, setting up goals is a very good thing, indeed. When I was unemployed, I started doing sports again cause I wanted to lose weight. And cooking my own food, to eat more healthily. I also decided to learn to play a song per day, in different style. Acheiving these simple goals really boostedmy self confidence and made mefeelbetter. It also forced me to have better self discipline, which is something I lack a lot.

I'dreally like to hear that classical arrangement of Echidna's Arf. Don't forget to share it wth us when it's recorded.

I have lots of compositions I'dlike to record. But I don'tknow yet how. I hesitate between going the old way using the semi professional equipment I still have, or using my computer and recording softwares, etc. I think i'll go the second route, since I live in a flat in town, and i can't really record a real drumset or guitar amp in my room. So other goals are set for the near future.

This, and going in Dordogne in a few weeks, to see old girlfriends I haven't seen for almost 30 years. Probably i'll check the roofing business down there, to determine my chances of success if I decide move back to this place.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 05:37

Bonny, there's nothing wrong with having a job and earning money. It's an important fundamental. You'll find time for your music. Look at me, I'm 62. Have you seen that 103 year old French pianist who just released an album of her playing?
That's what I think too. I've got time, so no need to stress and beat myself upside the head cause I haven't done this or that. I still can do it tomorrow.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 05:38

Awesome Poly!!

My music is getting stuck in a rut now with work, but I'm so happy with work it's OK...
I'm glad your job makes you feel that way Bonny, it's a good thing.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 15:56

... going in Dordogne in a few weeks ... i'll check the roofing business down there, to determine my chances of success if I decide move back to this place.
Moving closer to the equator. I imagine the weather is part of the attraction?

Pages:  1  ..  250    252    254  ..  348

Go To Top