PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  310    312    314  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
ursinator2.0
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: in between :-) and :-(

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 18:06

Hi, just went member of this forum :bald:, leaving the sinking ship :crying:.
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 20:26

Welcome Ursinator! I see you made a second account though :D

It's really bad turning the registration on, I get like 3 spammers per hour...

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
ursinator2.0
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 22:11

Yes cause i wanted my username exactly the way it is now ('ursinator2.0' - i also once tried it this way when register for the old forum but it didn't work). Please xcuse the trouble i have caused this way and thnx very much for your effort :rolleyes:
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 09:26

Off to back-up - I have downloaded my "babies", the joke competition about my vest, the 50 Pictures in one zappa album topic, Learned Something New Today and WW2 thread, and the original Duck Duck Goose. Also "rescued" a lot of jokes from the bad joke topic and am looking further. Fortunately I still have a lot of backup from the time I started backupping two years ago, when I saved notable instances of What Happened To You Today.

Good thing I got this new laptop!

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 13:17

New laptop Bonny, nice!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 13:18

Hi Urs!!

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 13:23

It will be interesting to see what the new Zappa forum will be like. I was similarly pissed off with Dweezil when he dumped his original forum. I lost a lot of stuff there without any warning.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 15:12

On Sunday I had organized a tea party with 4 friends, all female group. It was great!
One of them was Tjitske, the viola player who has more strong tales in her repertoire than anyone I know - and she's an expert at telling them. She had me in stitches when she told me about the time she played Bach's Mattheus Passion - it is traditionally performed the 2 weeks before Easter here - and on the stage before the show, they had chocolate easter eggs. She was legally blind at the time. The double bass player asked: "Hey, toss me one of those," and she threw one in the general direction of the sound.
And lo and behold, she did something a professional pitcher wih 20/20 eyesight couldn't do - the egg landed straight into the bass's F-hole! They did everything to get the egg out, but since those holes aren't very big the egg had to be in a specific rotation and they got nowhere by holding the unwieldy instrument upside down.

As the stage lights had warmed up the egg to a softer state, they had the idea of grabbing the conductor baton to wiggle it out. Success!

However, the baton had gotten sticky from the egg, and during the performance about the death of Jesus, the poor conductor had a baton that kept sticking to the music sheet, while the musicians had to clench their teeth to avoid bursting out in laughter.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 20:59

And we;re back! We have no idea why we were down for a few hours

Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 22:22

Good to see the site back - I'm offline till the 16th gotta go do my Sh!t work :biggrin:

South of the Border
ursinator2.0
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 13-7-2022 at 21:04

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
On Sunday I had organized a tea party with 4 friends, all female group. It was great!
One of them was Tjitske, the viola player who has more strong tales in her repertoire than anyone I know - and she's an expert at telling them. She had me in stitches when she told me about the time she played Bach's Mattheus Passion - it is traditionally performed the 2 weeks before Easter here - and on the stage before the show, they had chocolate easter eggs. She was legally blind at the time. The double bass player asked: "Hey, toss me one of those," and she threw one in the general direction of the sound.
And lo and behold, she did something a professional pitcher wih 20/20 eyesight couldn't do - the egg landed straight into the bass's F-hole! They did everything to get the egg out, but since those holes aren't very big the egg had to be in a specific rotation and they got nowhere by holding the unwieldy instrument upside down.

As the stage lights had warmed up the egg to a softer state, they had the idea of grabbing the conductor baton to wiggle it out. Success!

However, the baton had gotten sticky from the egg, and during the performance about the death of Jesus, the poor conductor had a baton that kept sticking to the music sheet, while the musicians had to clench their teeth to avoid bursting out in laughter.

I always guessed those classical music folks being the real true rock'n'rollers :)
ursinator2.0
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 13-7-2022 at 21:10

Quote: Originally posted by polydigm  
It will be interesting to see what the new Zappa forum will be like...

Hi Geoff!
I am quite sceptical against what's coming up but maybe they will surprise us in a positive way. Actually everything is still in the state of a bad surprise :freak:
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 14-7-2022 at 07:49

My bad surprise is that I was very unwell overnight on the ferry from Harwich to Hook Of Holland and have been in a Rotterdam hospital since yesterday morning. The situation has righted itself overnight and we hope to be back on the road by this afternoon.

Update: On the road since 1100h. Yay!!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-7-2022 at 06:14

I'm sorry to hear that, stay healthy!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-7-2022 at 23:23

For the curious, I had the forum open from 20:29 to midnight CET. In these 3.5 hours, we received 20 spam registrations and 0 clean ones. One account had managed to "log on".

In my admin tools I can set member search to "Pending first login" - these members don't yet show up in the Members list. There are 4 users of that variety that I won't delete since they were Zappa forum dwellers, and one of them is the sorely missed KU. The 19 spammers who never logged in could then easily be found and deleted.
However, one logged in. Since I intend to keep sign-up closed as much as possible, I changed that spam account into Placeholder3. Otherwise, if a new person would want to join, I'd have to re-open, make a new account registered to my e-mail, open my e-mail and log in, then change all the user data, then close before disaster breaks out. Now, all I need to do is change U/N and P/W for that account.
Or: When Spammers Are Useful.

It's unfortunately not manageable to add better spam check than the Captcha as XMB software has been discontinued, and any new spam prevention measures would have to be either written by us, or we would need to upgrade to PHPBB.

Upgrading to PHPBB is still going to require round-the-clock spam control. It's nigh impossible to win. Leave the site open, spammers come in, forum breaks down until you chuck them up. Shut the site, forum breaks down because nobody can join. I mod a Cluedo forum at TheArtOfMurder.com and joined due to the all-too-frequent spam. Currently we get an influx about every 2 days, and I delete, ban and IP-ban straight away. The admin there needs to come in and change the security questions regularly.

Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 16-7-2022 at 08:51

Good to hear you are back on deck polydigm

South of the Border
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 18-7-2022 at 06:01

Cheers Eddie!

Bonny, yesterday when Valentina Ciardelli, playing double bass, performed with her trio, including piano and viola, she kept talking about viola player jokes, which I found ironic having already read your story above.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-7-2022 at 07:24

hey I thought I'd posted an answer to this oh well... At any rate, looking forward to today, although the heat has left us in a pretty poor state. It'll be 38 degs C today which is not as hot as I've had here.. but damn it's close!

RINGTONE! Mortgage! Pharmacist!!! Freedom!!

Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 19-7-2022 at 21:08

Should come down my way (Cohuna lol ) was -2 Deg C yesterday morning and looks like the same today :D

South of the Border
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-7-2022 at 17:12

Poly and I met up for the second time, which was fantastic - alas the road back home was quite an ordeal - I had to walk back to where I parked my bicycle - and I was wearing murderous shoes that gave me massive blisters on the ankles, to the point I even took them off and walked on my socks. Dad couldn't watch that, since he was on his bicycle he let me cycle on it - but the heat quickly became overpowering. We made a stop at the pavillion where we met up with Poly and Mrs Poly, but alas we weren't allowed to sit inside by the fans, we had to sit outside on the hot hot terrace - where they were having an even hotter barbecue. With the smoke taking whatever was left of his breath away we both went to our bicycles and attempted to cycle home.

I had refilled my water bottle at the restaurant, but it wasn't enough, we weren't even at the halfway point when my dad had already paused to rest three times. Without water and there being a long hot road ahead, I went ahead home, to nurse my feet and get lots of water.

Arrived home, cut the very loose skin from one massive heel blister and put bandaids on both heels, put on extra heel protectors and my sneakers, filled 6 bottles with water and put them in the isolation bag to bring them back to Dad.

When I found him he had again paused, maybe 300m from home, and was in such bad shape three friendly neighbors were checking him out and inviting him into their airconditioned home. By then the temperature was officially 38, but reaching the 40s in places.

One neighbor finally persuaded my father and me to come in, gave him some energy drink and let him rest, then brought him and his bicycle home.

We're both recovering from the ordeal. Dad is doing better, still not 100% though, but it's still hot.

Lesson learned - take more care when selecting your shoes.

Pages:  1  ..  310    312    314  ..  348

Go To Top