PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  342    344    346  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 8-3-2024 at 21:22

Don't know of the article but the Beatle did see the Beach Boys as their competitor (or at least Brian Wilson), with Pet Sounds being the litmus test for St Pepper

A quick search on B(G)oggle finds this
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/pet-sounds-vs-sgt-peppers-vs-smile-who...

The Beatles were listening closely to The Beach Boys when they wrote Rubber Soul, and Brian Wilson was listening right back. “Rubber Soul is probably the greatest record ever,” Brian wrote in his memoir I Am Brian Wilson. “[It] came out in December of 1965 and sent me right to the piano bench,” he said. “It wasn’t just the lyrics and the melodies but the production and their harmonies… [it was] almost art music.” The song that came out when Brian went to his piano and tried to top Rubber Soul? “God Only Knows,” which Paul McCartney later called his favorite song of all time.

“God Only Knows” is indeed one of the greatest songs of all time, but Brian wasn’t content to stop there. He wanted to make a grand, album-length statement just like The Beatles did, and that statement was Pet Sounds. Brian was fully in the director’s chair, handling songwriting, production, arrangements, and the bulk of the lead vocals (with lyrical co-writing by Tony Asher), and the result was a deeply personal, psychedelic, baroque pop album that pushed the boundaries of pop music further than he or anyone else had yet. There’s not an ounce of filler, and — with the help of over 40 session musicians — it was some of the most intricately arranged pop music that anyone in 1966 would have heard.

Among those listening? The Beatles of course. The influence of Pet Sounds would fully reveal itself on 1967’s Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, but it already crept into The Beatles music on 1966’s Revolver; “Here, There and Everywhere,” which was one of the last songs Paul wrote for Revolver, was said to be directly inspired by Pet Sounds. Like Brian Wilson, The Beatles and producer George Martin were growing increasingly interested in string and horn arrangements on Revolver, which showed on the definitive baroque pop of “Eleanor Rigby,” the french horn solo on “For No One,” and the horn section on “Got To Get You Into My Life.” The band and engineer Geoff Emerick were also learning to use the studio as an instrument, coming out with the backwards guitars of the psych-folk gem “I’m Only Sleeping” and the deeply psychedelic “Tomorrow Never Knows.” George Harrison was even more into Indian music during the Revolver sessions than he was when making Rubber Soul, as heard on “Love You To,” which didn’t just use sitar but dove head-first into Indian classical music. The influence of LSD was prevalent all throughout Revolver (and non-album singles “Paperback Writer” and “Rain”). It was the most overtly trippy music that either The Beach Boys or The Beatles had released yet.

South of the Border
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 8-3-2024 at 21:33

PS my Hotmail email account is blocked by some scam bot or something has been trying to hack my johnharriscivil@hotmail.com account and it seems that it is frozen out for good- I have been trying to reset it for a week now- talking to my IT son he says the hotmail is no longer supported by microsoft and its days are numbered

Is a pain as I have many thing linked to that email and I have had it for years- but looks like I have to get a gmail damn damn damn :freak:

South of the Border
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 8-3-2024 at 23:19

Yeah, I managed to recover my hotmail using Mrs Eddies, was dangerous (she was not happy) as had to reset Mrs Eddies as well.
She said "just write down my new password lol

South of the Border
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 00:16

Great article find concerning Beatles/Beach Boys.

BTW - When getting my resume together my older daughter and sister said nix the Hotmail so I added a Gmail account, I believe I have six because I had to have one each time I got a new phone (every two years since 2011 for work) and I never kept track of them.

I fortunately was able to log into the last one because I figured out the password but I did leave my Hotmail on there also, because like you Eddie it is woven into my fabric of internet access.
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 00:42

Yes nice article- I have book "A Day in the Life" which is a good Beatle read and goes into the Beach Boys thing

Yep I hate emails and the internet in general - it used to be a nice place a long long time ago............

South of the Border
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 00:55

Yes, On computers a long long time ago, on an internet far far away...:lol:

Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 01:02

Yep I date from the time of Bulletin boards and dial up lol

even used punch cards at Uni at RMIT on a thing called the Cyber mainframe in Fortran :biggrin:

http://www.orthogonal.com.au/computers/history/

South of the Border
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 17:08

DZ announced he is announcing...:lol:...next week a 30 city US tour ROX(POSTROPH)Y playing selections from the Roxy and Apostrophe albums...:guitar2:
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 20:25

Good to hear Plook, will you be going?

South of the Border
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 21:15

Fixed a flat tire today. This is like my second flat tire in one week. Same wheel too - except the first time I brought it in to be repaired.

Pffffffffffffff

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 21:53

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Fixed a flat tire today. This is like my second flat tire in one week. Same wheel too - except the first time I brought it in to be repaired.

Pffffffffffffff

I joined DZ site long ago so I will have access to pre-order Tuesday hopefully they come to Sacramento but San Francisco will work for me.
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 21:54

Pffffffffffffff

Good job Bonny, I taught my girls how to change a tire when I taught them to drive.
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 01:37

Just so as they wouldn’t call you up when they got a flat?

Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 13:34

Poly LOL...:lol:...I never thought of it that way, maybe it was a subconscious motive.

My oldest daughter and Kel (Like my daughter) had to call me once when they got a flat (Blow out actually).

Where they pulled over it was a busy highway with a ditch on the other side (pre cell phone so they must have walked to a pay phone). By the time I got there a man had seen their predicament and helped them pull off the road and changed the tire for them.

It was about 40 minutes from the house, super dangerous two lane road people drive 70 mph on it, was an intense location, surprised she landed the thing ok it was a front end blow-out.
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 14:02

Quote: Originally posted by Plook  

Pffffffffffffff

Good job Bonny, I taught my girls how to change a tire when I taught them to drive.

Just so you know it's my bicycle tire. I still don't drive (and really shouldn't).

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
Henry
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 15:53

I wrote a reply earlier about puncture fairies and fitting car tyres with tyre levers but it has disappeared into the ether, never to be seen by the world. Never mind, it wasn't that interesting.
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 10-3-2024 at 21:29

I have not had a flat for at least 20 years - touch wood. I think people tend to replace their tyres (tires for US folk) more often than in older times.

PS Henry, Klassik asks if you can check your emails

South of the Border
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 12-3-2024 at 01:02

I had a blow-out on the first trip to So Cal with Kat after I met her in 2018, we were coming back and on the I5 crossing the Grapevine early in the morning right after sunrise doing about 80mph the road was 5 lanes I was in the middle and there were cars around us.

I saw some metal debris checked my mirror and moved to the number 2 lane but there was more debris I tried to straddle it making my way back to the left but I didn't want to over compensate at that speed and roll the car.

I piece caught the inside of my left rear and it blew, I had already stepped out of the gas but we were on a downhill; grade so we had some momentum. I just fought the wheel kept her under control and made it to the side of the road.

Kat gave me some props for pulling that off, just thank god it wasn't a front end wheel, I have been to that rodeo before and its a crap shoot.
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 12-3-2024 at 04:23

That was a close call Plook and at 80MPM, here if caught 30KPH over the posted limit you loose your licence - max legal speed here is 110KPH(68MPH), except in the Northern Territory where its 130KPH but there is no one to caught you there anyway :drool:

South of the Border
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 12-3-2024 at 14:30

It is 70 mph here on certain long stretched of road and California has an unofficial rule that you can exceed the speed limit by 10 mph...:lol:
 Pages:  1  ..  342    344    346  ..  348

Go To Top