PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2009 at 12:31

I can watch shadows creep across the side of a building, all day.
Watch the breeze turn leaves from green to gold and back again in the sudden warm gusts of moist spring air.
Daffodils are up all over here.
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 22-3-2009 at 14:00

Dad bought me a Casio keyboard. It's awesome, but dirty! So I'm scrubbing it now.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 16:19

found this today:
http://www.thru-you.com/
pretty neat
wish I had the electronics to do that:
extract videos from youtube and re-edit them
I don't even know where to begin as far as equipment is concerned
looks like a lot of fun though

[Edited on 23-3-09 by punknaynowned]

[Edited on 24-3-09 by BBP]
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 16:22

IVC (Internet Video Converter) should get you going...

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 16:25

I'm still trying to get the link here working
I think it doesn't like the hyphen?

IVC
I'll look at it
thanx!
have you seen this, I think it's amazing

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 16:27

how's your keyboard?
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 24-3-2009 at 09:01

The automatic link parser doesn't like the hyphen, no. It's programmed to activate at the use of http:// or www. , but it stops at the sight of a hyphen.

My keyboard is great! It has 4 octaves, which does sort of limit my music scope, but it has so many sounds! Unfortunately it's not that well-programmed. Sometimes intervals that should sound consonant (like octaves) sound dissonant. Not sure what causes that.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 24-3-2009 at 09:23

This wasn't today, but over the weekend I made the switch from DSL to cable internet. I didn't like the idea of moving to the EVIL CABLE COMPANY, but it was easier to do once it got to the point where it was twice the speed for half the price.

I spent Saturday designing the network and procuring all the stuff. The EVIL CABLE COMPANY supplied a nice install kit for free, and the only things I had to buy were an $80 ethernet cable and one of those double-size power strips. Not bad, considering that my network is fairly complex (2 laptops, 2 desktops, a PlayStation, wireless router, a print server, 2 printers, and 2 shared external drives on a RAID controller). It's all spread across three rooms.

Our house is 105 years old. It probably didn't have electricity when it was built. But the design is remarkably adaptable. It's one story, and there's a four-foot crawl space under the floor. The house is built of redwood, so I could easily drill a hole in the floor and run a cable between any two points in the house. Only problem is, it's pretty creepy down there. Lots of spiders and lizards and other vermin.

The biggest problem, of course, was configuring everything. The old system had fixed IP addresses for everything except the laptops, and the new system uses dynamic IPs all around. It's a lot simpler now. Now we can all share files, like... viruses.

Hmmm......
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 24-3-2009 at 15:52

hmmmm I tried the evil cable company and went back to dsl. I have 2 laps and 2 desk but I am on wireless for all but one that is hard wired through the apple hub.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-3-2009 at 07:15

Got soaked on my newspaper round again. Now I'm freezing.

We're having bad PC problems here right now. Vista will shut down and restart instead of going into sleep mode, or off. I'm fearing my game has something to do with that.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2009 at 20:31

We're back! Spread the word!

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 01:04

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned
nice to find what your looking for when you have all but given up hope in ever finding it.

Some may know, the news often makes me a chain-smoking ranter wallowing in bitter delusions.
"Why can't people just learn the facts and take simple steps to get along?"

So this year, as dumb as it may sound I've been trying to entertain myself otherwise. I started watching tv again, but online. This is significant because I haven't watched any in 15 years. That's right, no American Idol, no Family Guy, South Park, Friends or Seinfeld. No reality tv, no Mtv, no HBO.
No local TV.
Yeah, I needed a break from the news which I still get but on a much more limited field: the internet.
So I watch 30 Rock on hulu and the animated starwars clone wars shorts on starwars.com
I'm also following some youtube 'stations':
-- travelfilmarchives
-- TheRealNews
-- communitychanne

yeah, I'm being cautious, taking baby steps

I run into people on the street and they want to talk about politics or 'philosophy' and I couldn't care less. The more the conversation is about using certain language framed inside certain viewpoints, the less interested I become.
Of course, I can talk about my interests all day, but they're specialized and most people don't care about it at all. So I don't bring it up.

On the other hand, I can sit and look at pretty pictures all day. Or learn how to use my new camera. Because pretty pictures happen all the time. It's just a matter in capturing them and knowing how. Like Fido's gorgeous snaps. He was there at the right time and got the light and frame-in-time, but knew how to do that and which filter or lens or shutter speed etc might work.
But rarely do you find pictures that are that good.

I've also begun to be a fan of big art books. Because the internet isn't there yet, though books can't feature video, they still have a leg up on quality in my book.

There's a great moment in "Annie Hall" when Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are standing a queue for the movies (i think)...and all the people are having the most terrible politico-philisophical discussions which makes Woody Allen uncontrollably angry. They are not talking about IDEAS. They are just using the language conventions that surround certain ideas. The goal is not to SAY anything or learn anything, just to show the other person how fluent you are in the jargon. And you can tell they are doing this because they don't really respond to what the other is saying, and just go ahead with their own thing, taking it in turns.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 08:11

I uploaded the first version of my Gabriel Knight Gallery yesterday. It can be found at:
http://bonny.ploeg.ws/gabriel/gkgal1.html
http://bonny.ploeg.ws/gabriel/gkgal2.html

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-3-2009 at 18:38

Went to 2 bookfairs, and I now have a very big reading list.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 04:19

Friday I took a Greyhound bus out of Wichita Kansas, in a snowstorm and rode the 3.5 hours back home.
All the while talking and listening to this guy in front of me who just had to have company.
Just released the day before from a local prison (attempted breaking and entering he said), but he was nervous and kept swigging on a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew.
We talked about all sorts of things and I didn't mind because if he was puttin his attention toward me that meant he wasn't buggin somebody else with his paranoia and apparent need to escalate everything.
The thing was, there was another that fit the model of the ex-tweaker or recently withdrawn from intense mania or supervision on the bus. A great big tall guy with a cowboy hat that had a military ribbon on the front, a cheap red eagle above that pinned on it and a 30 cm faux raccoon tail tacked at the back end of the hat. He would never stop talking and I was afraid that if the two of them started, they'd go after each other eventually.
The two women behind me seemed to sense it and engaged the freaky tweaky tall one and some where across the Flint Hills I realized we were all having in depth conversations basically about nothing just to keep the agitated one's distracted from their own psychoses.
Everything turned out fine.
I got back home and my buddy picked me up and we went a number of different places including dropping off the shivering cold kid wearing short pants and a ripped up hoodie and a tshirt that had rid with me up from Wichita. I couldn't believe the kid thought he was gonna walk across town in that kind of weather: stoopid.

Well, as it turned out I told my buddy I was looking for a bigger computer to process video, something I've been wanting to do for some years.
He had one he had found in the trash. He found it full of viruses and wiped it and put enough back on itto function.
He already has three computers!

So now I have to figure out what I need on it to make and process the stuff I want to...

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 08:49

Good job your friend did! He saved a PC!

I imagine that on the bus... I've met some weird people on the bus. Even got molested once. But I had my sweet revenge.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 09:11

Wow.

What the fuck were you doing in Wichita (besides looking for a way out)?
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 10:07

It was a crazy escape even on commercial transport.
I was there to visit with family and help put up my brother's roof for his porch. He had quadruple bypass surgery last week and needed this fixed b4 spring rains hit. Dripping water in the house wasn't somethin he wants to worry about while recovering, puttering around the house with his wife at work.
Every time it rains, after awhile the plaster ceiling in his kitchen (next to the porch) starts a steady drip until long after the rain quits. The old porch had a roof but this was taken down some time ago and now, without a new roof to cover the holes there was the ceiling area of the kitchen that seemed open to the elements.
Fact of the matter is, it's not like you could see through from one side to the other and there had been attempts to put plastic over the 'exposed' portions where the roof had been.
It is kinda hard to explain, but we put a roof over the new existing porch AND these holes (for the most part) thursday and wednesday. What we built is sound on the support and rafters given us.
Whether it keeps out the rain is another story.

It's been awhile I guess since I've laid down with my head at a decline and tried to hammer at something farther down the slope. The urge to just shift and tumble off is within grasp. So you place your nail with your fingers and staring at the nail and not the ground which is what's behind it and you try to hit the nail and not your fingers. And then do it again and again. Pretty sure that wooden ladder was older than me too./
:P

The friend who found the computer IS a wonder.
When I figure out how it works I will be able to do video chat
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 10:14

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Good job your friend did! He saved a PC!

I imagine that on the bus... I've met some weird people on the bus. Even got molested once. But I had my sweet revenge.

what'd happened?
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 15:01

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned
Friday I took a Greyhound bus out of Wichita Kansas, in a snowstorm and rode the 3.5 hours back home.
All the while talking and listening to this guy in front of me who just had to have company.
Just released the day before from a local prison (attempted breaking and entering he said), but he was nervous and kept swigging on a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew.
We talked about all sorts of things and I didn't mind because if he was puttin his attention toward me that meant he wasn't buggin somebody else with his paranoia and apparent need to escalate everything.
The thing was, there was another that fit the model of the ex-tweaker or recently withdrawn from intense mania or supervision on the bus. A great big tall guy with a cowboy hat that had a military ribbon on the front, a cheap red eagle above that pinned on it and a 30 cm faux raccoon tail tacked at the back end of the hat. He would never stop talking and I was afraid that if the two of them started, they'd go after each other eventually.
The two women behind me seemed to sense it and engaged the freaky tweaky tall one and some where across the Flint Hills I realized we were all having in depth conversations basically about nothing just to keep the agitated one's distracted from their own psychoses.
Everything turned out fine.
I got back home and my buddy picked me up and we went a number of different places including dropping off the shivering cold kid wearing short pants and a ripped up hoodie and a tshirt that had rid with me up from Wichita. I couldn't believe the kid thought he was gonna walk across town in that kind of weather: stoopid.

Well, as it turned out I told my buddy I was looking for a bigger computer to process video, something I've been wanting to do for some years.
He had one he had found in the trash. He found it full of viruses and wiped it and put enough back on itto function.
He already has three computers!

So now I have to figure out what I need on it to make and process the stuff I want to...

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited

That sounds like a tale fit for an FZ song, if not a whole album! Especially the military cowboy 'coontail hat.

Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  348

Go To Top