PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 18-10-2009 at 17:02

I'm improving! Hope it'll blow over soon, because it's horrible when I'm at work.

Today though I finally finished that Hitchcock jigsaw.
It's... odd. You have to read the story in the manual first: a psychiatrist has disappeared. At the crime scene there are various props from Hitchcock films. There are three suspects who all adore one of Hitchcock's movies.
You have to lay the picture of the crime scene, which is in black and white. And then you have to try to solve the case.

Naturally I failed at solving the case (I only knew Psycho, still need to watch Birds and Frenzy), but I'm happy I finally finished the puzzle.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-10-2009 at 09:18

It's one of those days again. I still have a cold, my bicycle broke down on my newspaper round (I could still cycle on it but it needs new pedals, and they're a nightmare to repair. We tried it before and broke many drills in the process). And I stepped in some dog do.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2009 at 11:04

It's not fun, but it seems we need days like that to learn to appreciate the 'good' days more.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-10-2009 at 16:50

Oh yeah. And I had a great day two days ago when I solved that jigsaw and watched Epke Zonderland take silver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgtjsNP1mrg

Anyway, I checked upon my pedal. It definitely needs to be removed: a piece of iron has broken off it and it won't be long until it falls off altogether.
The pedals are firmly stuck and they are attached by Allen (or hex) screws in awkward and hard to reach places. I did try to loosen the one, but well, that bicycle is well over twenty years old and the screws are so rust shut I couldn't figure out which way to turn it. Lubrication didn't help either.
(As it turns out, the left pedal (which I was working on) needs to be spun in opposite direction: normally you'd turn anti-clockwise to loosen, but on the left pedal it's clockwise, otherwise you'd unscrew the pedal while cycling. I didn't know that and spent quite some time not-spinning it in the wrong direction.)

Cleaning my show sure was easier, although gross (and naturally the poop was on the left shoe, and it was the left pedal that broke, so my attempt at un-screwing it was even more appalling).

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 20-10-2009 at 18:03

You call them Allen screws too!!!
WOW!

But I think it is the direction that you face the screw that matters ...
but of course, it is not in front of me, so I can't tell!

show is what gets put on in a theater
shoe is what gets put on your foot :roll:
:-P
Good on you I say!! You made me realize another instance where English is just wrong and inconsistent!
A shoe that goes on your foot, SHOULD be pronounced 'shew' to our pronunciation as far as how it sounds to english speakers. But show sounds like a simple 'sho'. But English would normally put a silent 'e' after 'o' to make it sound long, except not in that case. Inconssitent.

I just spent an hour giving a solution to the Afghan war and the American political 'quagmire' that the left is stuck with here.
It answers the question, 'Who Needs The Peace Corp?'
You know, for the US to say, 'Woah! Look at the time! We have to be out of here, half past 2011 and we want you to be able to take care of yourselves. So we'll help you figger that out, but, we gotta go!'
We get them to do what we AND they don't want us to do and we can say we did our best at cleaning up the mess the Bushies gave us.
Anyway pretty proud of myself.

What's the weather like there? At least it didn't rain?

[Edited on 20-10-09 by punknaynowned]
MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 20-10-2009 at 19:20

A woman who works for my wife was just diagnosed with the swine flu.
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 21-10-2009 at 13:03

Jesus Bonny, that day your describing there was a real stinker!! :roll:

To be serious though, I feel for you, having some kind of bug makes things like that seem so much worse. I hope you're feeling better soon. A mate of mine is just getting over a prolonged bout of flu that ended up requiring asthma medicine to cope with, even though he's not an asthmatic. I'm considering getting flu shots, I've never tried them before.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-10-2009 at 13:21

No, we call them Inbus screws. Inbus is an acronym for Innensechskantschraube Bauer und Schaurte. Innensechskantschraube is that beautiful German habit of sticking adjectives to nouns, in this case translates loosely to inside six side screw, and Bauer und Schaurte is the company that invented them in 1931.
Yeah Punk, you're right. Normally whenever you face a screw it should turn clockwise to tighten. But on the left pedal you should turn it anti-clockwise to tighten. The wire is in reverse. That's because, otherwise if you'd have a regular screw, you'd un-screw it while cycling. And that's a bad idea.

Gosh I'm learning so much about bicycles. I've missed my call.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCdIe0wdvU

Yeah Poly flu shots may be a great idea! Flu is something that will completely incapacitate you once you acquire it. I just have a bad cold now, but the last time I had influenza it struck me twice in the same month, couldn't process food for days, lost a lot of energy. Flu is BAD.

Hope your missus stays clear from the flu, MTF...

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 07:36

Walked in vain to the bicycle repair office. I genuinely thought the sign said they were open until 8 on Thursday and Friday, but when I arrived after 6 they were closed. Mis-read. :freak:

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 10:38

I never want some things from some stores until they are closed.
Like the thing with the left pedal nut.
i don't remember that and that bothers me. I keep wanting to rationalize it away and say, 'Oh, they do that in europe, but not over here', or 'My bike was probably made in Asia and with a different standardization or prioritization of methods in manufacture, with the pedals and screws being the same.' or something like that.
One of these days i will find my set of Inbus wrenches and find out myself. Meanwhile I want what I haven't got and can't remember what's right.

"Dreaming is hard without anything over your head."
Just awoke from a dream where I was at a marvelous party at a typical American restaurant, like a Denny's or IHOP with a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while. As is usual I got distracted or went out to get something and got distracted and when I came back all my friends were gone. Missed them! Maybe they ditched me. The thought did cross my mind though that they wouldn't get far before they realized I was gone. But then I rolled over and woke myself up.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 13:46

You know I very often dream I go into a CD-store that's having execution sale, and all the albums you REALLY want are there and dead cheap, so you buy a shiplad of CDs... and then I wake up and don't have any of them.:pissed:

Just picked up my bicycle! It's a bit odd because the pedals aren't shaped like feet anymore, but they twist very well! The one pedal on the right kept making a clicking noise, and that's gone too now!
Repair was dead cheap too, only 12,50 E. That's little compared to what we had to do to remove the pedals off my sister's bicycle oh so many years ago.
It was about 12 years ago, still in our old house. I had to hold back the bike as Dad was violently hitting the Allen screwdrivers with a hammer. As there was no progress and he broke all the Allen screwdrivers we had that size, he proceeded to drill out the screw. And he broke a drill. I was holding that bike and that was effin creepy, especially with Dad getting more and more frustrated.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 15:07

I guess you would remember it then since it was so difficult!

Much of this summer/fall I have been moving things in dreams, from one place to another. The item itself isn't consistent, but my emotional/symbolic importance is what seems important. The thing can be a book or a key or anything but it it is what I associate the item with in my memory ... that picks up again in the next or later dream. I'll spend a bunch of dreams trying to find this particular thing and then find out it is not a book or whatever I am looking for it is another item but it will *feel* the same and so I'll know that's it.
WHY I felt so driven to move things around? I have no idea except that it mimics what I do for work. Everything has a place to go.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 20:25

Oh that's probably it. I have had so many dreams where I went to college or school or newspaper round... It's horrible if your dreams mimick what you do in real life, you just don't rest!

I'm discovering the joys of the Wayback machine!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 24-10-2009 at 10:42

When we returned from the supermarket, we discovered a suspicious noise coming from the front left car tire. A bolt had magically bored itself into the tire. So we went to the garage.
Amazing. It takes less time to fix a car tire than a bicycle tire.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 25-10-2009 at 06:33

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
Oh that's probably it. I have had so many dreams where I went to college or school or newspaper round... It's horrible if your dreams mimick what you do in real life, you just don't rest!

I'm discovering the joys of the Wayback machine!

the way I understand it's not horrible but necessary...
our subconscioius has to process all we do and go through but according to IT'S own priorities. So we do all these things IN OUR DREAMS to 'unwind' and sort out all the things we do and think thru the day. Because if we don't get proper dream time or as some call it REM time, we get grumpy, clumsy, more easily disoriented thru the day when we are suposed to be awake.
Really, plus
MTF or Dr Noomie might have more detailed info about this...
:P
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-10-2009 at 20:27

Maybe I'm walking in my sleep again. Sometimes I get spasms when I'm asleep and they wake me up. It's creepy. Usually it's my right arm moving on its own.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 08:18

Yesterday's flea market gave me a black eye. Some dopey had this wooden clown on a wooden parachute hanging next to his table. It hung over the aisle. My father was walking ahead of me and caused the clown to be lifted along, giving it enough momentum to swing back hard into my eye.

I definitely ran out of patience there. Geez.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 14:05

"Safety First!"

Did you poke the puppet in the eye?:-P
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 18:31

I pulled it off and threw it on the market stand of its owner. My eye is mildly black now.

Bought a guitar today! I'll post pics of it later.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 13:41

Seems like the spammers have emerged from their slumber... leading me to believe that they're just some punk kids trying to earn a buck with it.

Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  348

Go To Top