PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  47    49    51  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 09:40

Congratulations! You're on your way to the 500 border with new title!

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 22:35

Hello again and thank you Bonny. Now it's 471 and I promise to change the subject next time.

:rolleyes:

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 20:38

Missed out on one of my best friends's birthday today... ayyyy...

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 13:23

Tried to get my Dino computer started again, installed a new hard disk. Failed.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 21:22

Well... it's another evening of bad behaviour here. After the hooligans threatened to riot in Eindhoven on April 30, today the national World War 2 memorial was disturbed. Although the exact events are still unclear, at this time of writing I can inform you:

The traditional events on May 4th, commemorating the end of WW2, consists of memorial eulogies, flowers/candles etc at various mourning sites. The most major one is at the Dam. Every year, at 8PM, the Dutch Last Post (Taptoe) is played, then two minutes of silence are held, then the National Anthem is played, and then the Queen herself places a garland at the monument, then WW2 survivors place garlands, the Prime Minister has a speech, etc.

This year, towards the end of the two minute silence, a man screamed. Shortly after, panic ensued. It looked like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKN_b66cmnk

Roughly thirty people were injured, most had minor scratches but there were even a few with broken limbs.

Afterwards, the MC restored the rest and the ceremony was continued with silence and the anthem.

The motive is still unclear but it seems that the panic was caused deliberately. And disturbingly, it worked.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 02:46

On Saturday night there was a riot here in Santa Cruz. A bunch of businesses downtown were vandalized. Broken windows; paint bombs; the works.

Happy May Day.

Don't expect too many Cinco de Mayo celebrations downtown tomorrow...
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 09:29

Guy who started the Dam panic has apologized. I'd have punched him in the face, now that I know how much trouble a broken limb is.

Dad fixed my Dino! It now has only one harddrive functioning (earlier I had 3 disk drives, and one had Windows 3.1). That one is smaller than the large drive that broke down, but it's good enough for now.

When installing it, I chose not to install several of the Internet functions, since that PC is not hooked up to anything. Somehow though, it did install Easy Access; but didn't install Minesweeper or Freecell. Grumble...

Anyway I installed a live action adventure game called Black Dahlia. Initially, on another forum, I wrote how impressed I was with the acting, but now that I've met more characters I'm eating those words.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 15:52

Over the last month I've had a gradual return of a health problem that I've been clear of for four years now. You know what I'm referring to MTF. It got pretty bad during the last week and I was thinking of heading off to the hospital tomorrow morning but it looks like it might be turning around again this evening, so we'll see. They say it's not been statistically established as stress related but I've been pretty damn stressed in this new job I started in January. And even though the job stress is going down a bit the thought that my current condition might cause me to lose time at work that could put me in a bad position is creating a different kind of stress, somewhat more fundamental. I'm hoping this turn around isn't just temporary.

Anyway, you've got to look on the bright side, at least I don't seem to be depressed.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 20:32

getwellsoon polydigm!

About a year ago, I underwent major maxillo-facial surgery.
They took out all my teeth. I went to three dentists and the last one said ,
if they weren't removed, it'd kill me. So of course I did it.
No regrets. A friend helped pay the cost outright and I pay him back when I can.
It's less than a thousand bucks.

But the even better news is how much better I feel.
Immediately upon waking up from the overall drowsiness and sleep post operative,

I felt better than I had in years. As the healing process continued for the next few weeks I felt better and better, as a big weight had lifted. My system no longer had so much to work against and so my health, including my mental outlook overall improved. A year later I am very glad I did it.

Of course, this can in no way be construed as some endorsement of any course of action, as I have no idea of your situation, nor do I need to, just an anecdote.
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 8-5-2010 at 00:06

Thanks Punky. I guess bad health only stands out when you're amongst healthy people. if you get really sick and end up in hospital surrounded by other sick people you don't feel so special any more.

I had to think a while before sharing my previous message as I'm not sure I'm comfortable talking about this stuff on the internet. I kind of know people here but then again I don't. None the less I've been encouraged by the frankness that is expressed here and so I'm giving it a go. After all, I do like this place because its more real than zappa.com and if I want it to keep going I suppose I should open up a bit more myself. I haven't been a closed book exactly but I do draw the line a bit closer than some. I will say that my problem is in my colon but I won't be sharing any pictures.

I've woken up a bit rough this morning, but that's usually the low point with this thing so I'll see how the day pans out.

Anyway, how's life without teeth? I imagine the technology available these days for dealing with that is pretty impressive. That must be where the major part of the cost of this process comes in?

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 8-5-2010 at 09:31

On the non-medical front, I got an iPod a few weeks ago. As it turns out, I'm rather liking it.

I just figured out that my collection of Rolling Stones bootlegs totals 636 hours of music (in other words: if it was my full-time job to listen to Rolling Stones boots, it would take me four months to listen to all of these).

Guess I better get cracking. And that's where the iPod comes in. Now I can listen dutifully while I walk the dog, work in the garden, or ride the treadmill.

After all, I've also got 300 hours of Led Zeppelin bootlegs. Let's not even talk about Zappa...
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-5-2010 at 12:10

Oh dear Poly... hope you'll get well soon! I know how badly your mind can push you down, and to be honest, I wish I didn't.

My sister gave me a belated birthday present; a Samsung notebook with Windows 7!
Don't you all wish you had a sister like mine?

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 18:28

Un-installed and re-installed Muppets Treasure Island about ten times today on my laptop... what's up with THAT?

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 10:42

my computer situation is troubled. That's really why I haven't been here for awhile.

mtf, I wish I had a bunch of things like that, but I have more zappa than I can listen to for many years now...

Poly, I feel like some of the best that we can do as humans is learn from each other. We always have to be careful of how much we share with each other especially over the internet. But these are quiet halls. No amplification. My brother in law had prostate surgery at the first of the year and now he's doing great. And his was complicated by a severe heart condition that he was recovering from etc and they wanted him to take care of it all at once but knew he couldn't handle it. So they made him space it out: a severe heart operation with kidney complications and so on and then after recovery from that for at least 18 months, then the prostate surgery. He didn't want to do it. Not at all. The heart thing he knew he had to do but he wanted to put off the other as long as he could. Then as soon as he got home he set up his office as it was tax season.
He's an accountant. Always a glutton for punishment as he recovers from surgery, he sits in a chair all day doing tax work!!! And he's older still. Graduated from Kent State (yes that Kent State) in 1965. So he is pushing 70.
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 12:38

life without teeth is not so bad for me.
there were a couple months before I got the dentures so, had no kind of mandible action there.
Can't eat chips, salad doesn't work either. Soft things like a tortilla -- even though it is all soft food, you can't eat without teeth. Can't tear it which is what you need. There are lots of things like that you wouldn't think poses problems eating. Once I got the things it took a little getting used to them. Things like a burger is more difficult with dentures. You have to bury your face in it to eat it and thereby bite off a big piece but that doesn't work with those. Too much food in the mouth with those things causes them to unseat from where they are supposed to sit, so now you have all this food AND these hard plastic things moving around.
So always small bites whatever it is. Take my time. They wouldn't be so hard to clean if I didn't smoke. But you have to smoke sometimes in public, where I mostly wear them.
All in all, not so bad. Glad I'm still breathing you know?
:-D
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 12:49

Oh dear... poor Punky! I had braces when I was 15, my canine was growing much to the inside of my mouth so there was no way around it. My teeth were so weak and aching, I could only eat apples in cut parts. Nor could I eat hard bread or pizza. But I never liked pizza anyway.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 12:59

I had braces as a teenager for three years
I hated that. The ache!!!!
You'd think that might have made my later toothache easier? No way.
That became like a permanent cloud in the head, rather than just the few days around when you get the braces tightened. Still I shudder. Talk about torture.
I feel so much better now.:roll:
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 19:27

Ah that's good news! There was a time when my baby canine was to fall out. I shedded teeth late, it didn't start until I bumped into a doorpost, and it went very slow. I shedded a tooth at 13, one at 14, and I still have 2 babe teeth.

Anyway, that last canine... that was terrible! It grew out so slowly, and there was a night I could feel the pain shoot from my tooth, past my nose, into my brain. It was maddening, and I had a test the next day too!

In the mean time, my ankle is getting better. My foot can flex farther. Twisting it to the inside is still hard though.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 13-5-2010 at 06:29

Polydigm coming up for air on the internet. My Daughter is visiting on her way to live with her boyfriend in London and she lent me her USB modem this afternoon. Well, I did end up in hospital lunch time last Sunday, I'm writing to you, albeit fully dressed, sat on my hospital bed. It turns out that this is probably the worst attack that I've had, but it's turning around now and I'm on the mend.

It looks like it might have been avoidable if I'd been handling things differently, but there is a massive learning curve involved with this thing and the catch 22 is that sometimes things have to go wrong in order to clarify the situation. I had another health problem that cropped up that led me to question the safety of the medicine I was taking and it turns out that was a misunderstanding.

There were a bunch of other factors that I was experimenting with that may have also contributed negatively and also some investigations that needed to be made that shouldn't have been left on the back burner. I now have a much better picture of how to proceed in order to avoid this happening again.

As I said, I'm on the mend gradually, and will probably be home by Saturday lunch time. But, after that there will be a long process of gradual healing. As long as it will be, I am able to return to a pretty normal life straight away. I'll probably be back at work early next week.

Yesterday I had a great moment when, after it had finally arrived, my daughter brought Greasy Love Songs in for me. What a great little package, I love it. I'm listening to it right now. The extended Stuff Up The Cracks mix is a real bonus. I think they've done a great job on this one. I like Zappa's remix of Cruising, but this original album mix is also pretty cool.

Anyway, I've got my laptop in here with me and I have Logic installed and I've been working on my music, so it's not too bad in here. I'm seriously missing playing my real instruments and will probably end up hurting myself when I get my hands on them on the weekend. Onwards and upwards.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 13-5-2010 at 06:34

A kind of ironical PS. I jumped back to the top of this page where I wasn't saying much and promised to "change the topic next time". I did that didn't I. All the best everyone.

Pages:  1  ..  47    49    51  ..  348

Go To Top