PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  74    76    78  ..  348
Author: Subject: Anything noteworthy happen to you today?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 14:57

It is, and quite heavy too!

Am trying my hand at Dvorak's Humoresky.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 19:52

I get so sick of Google link of that account all the time. I made a special account so I could still log in to YouTube without having that linked to any of my active Google accounts. That worked OK but now Google links up all its services to that account. So I am also automatically logged in on G-mail, and the Google search engine etc. How on earth am I to believe they are not invading my privacy?

Anyway I've circumlocuted my problem. I've dropped Google as homepage and search engine. Now I'm using Dogpile.com.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 07:20

I got my driver's license renewed today. I had to take the written test, so I had to actually go to the DMV. Yuck.
aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 19:50

i move on saturday and probably won't have the internet before awhile, so see you soon everyone, I'll be back in two weeks, perhaps.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 20:55

Good luck Aqua! Hope to see you soon!

MTF: DMV is what mysteries are made of. I'm not aware of the Dutch CBR being that annoying, but seeing Patty and Selma ("Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those "week days".), or listening to the Primus song, I wonder: why doesn't the US govt just hire more people to deal with the work there?

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 10:20

The US government has no control over whether you can drive; that's controlled entirely by the states.

The California DMV is really, really bad. Matt Groening, Les Claypool and Frank Zappa all live (or lived) in California; and they all made their comments based on their experiences with the California DMV. Zappa said he stopped driving because of the DMV. I find this hard to believe; nevertheless, he said it.

Last time I renewed my license - five years ago - I stupidly mentioned that I have multiple sclerosis (it's true, but it was stupid). A month later, when I hadn't received my new license, I called to see what was up. The guy told me I had missed my appointment to take a driving test to prove I was okay to drive. I told him I had never been informed of this, and he agreed. But I still had to take the driving test, and the next available appointment was in three weeks.

I passed the test and got my license about three months late.

This time I had to wait three weeks just to get an appointment to renew my license. And when I showed up for the appointment, I had to wait in line to get a number. Then I waited half an hour for my number to be called. They issued the test, which I completed in less than five minutes. Then I waited forty-five minutes for someone to grade it (which took all of a minute). Then another fifteen minutes for someone to take my picture and get a thumb print. Total time: an hour and a half. Subtract out the waiting: seven minutes.

This time I didn't mention the M.S. My last attack was nine years ago, so legally I didn't have to mention it. But we'll have to wait and see if they want me to take another driving test. There's probably some idiot in Sacramento with a Magic 8-Ball who's making these decisions...
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 19:54

I despise the dmv too, but I don't drive :lol:
you can count on one one hand the number of times I have in the last decade and even then it's a cross-town trip to help somebody move a vehicle or that sort of thing. I still have to go to the dmv to get my mandated state ID card though. Have to do that again next month. A buddy wants to sell me a car and for me to get my license again. I would use it to get groceries above what I can carry on my bike. Maybe drive to visit family 200 miles away once a year. So not something I have any great desire to do.
Gov doesn't want to hire more workers Bonny, as that costs them money.
Of course there is more money. There is always more money :devil:
the banks just don't want people to use it, they want corporations to use it so the banks can make more real money :devil:
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 20:52

Hey Punk, there's you, me, FZ, and Huck_Phlem, all grown-up non-drivers! We're in good company!

Checked it out: there's a Halloween episode of Punky and the Brain where they need to go to hell, which is depicted as DMV. I couldn't help but think of Primus watching that... :)

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 03:42

Wow, people keep giving me more reasons why I wouldn't want to live in the USA. Our version of the DMV here is fine. Well, the ones in New South Wales and South Australia anyway, I haven't had experience with the ones in the other states. I've been to Victoria as well, but I didn't need to interact with their transportation authority. We have some strict rules to deal with at times but getting appointments and dealing with them in person is generally pretty user friendly.

Anyway, I've just finished the first week of my contract and this one's a great job. The sad thing is that it will finish and who knows what the next one will be like. I wouldn't mind getting a permanent contract in this school.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 07:57

A couple years ago they did a series of 'ten minute' plays I liked, all different writers, we try to do as many as we can every year. One vignette after another, we joke it's a kinda live theater for the Attention Defficit Disorder challenged. If you don't like it we tell the audience sometimes just wait a few minutes, it'll be different.

So one year many of the pieces were about waiting in line somewhere, and all from different points of view.

One was the DMV and two guys argue over who gets to go first as they have the same name. The clerk gets into it with them - when she's not on her break - and finds it entertaining. They end up wanting to kill each other and she couldn't care less.

Another is the info desk at the library. Answering questions, answering the phone, talking to patrons and answering to his boss. Same actor also played a priest listening to confessions in a different piece.

In one, a buddhist, a catholic, a Jewish mental patient and a hippie end up in a kind of after-life bus stop, waiting to find out what's next while they realize they're actually dead.

One more has the same guy travelling all over to convenience stores all over the country to find a product they no longer carry.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 21:12

Oh that theatre sounds great! Would be a great format on YouTube too.

I've cleaned a small section of my room and am pausing right now. Hope I don't forget I still need to do the rest since my bed is covered in junk. And I called a long-time friend, who is planning to come by tomorrow.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 06:54

Long-time friend stayed for about 45 minutes. He had little time.

We've survived the hottest day of the year but it's still very hot in my bedroom right now. It woke me up at 7.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 10:04

here's a clip of the Mosae Zappa fest the other day, one I liked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hPw2ULgMhE&
and Bonny says she likes men in dresses or something similar, here some do a nearly drunken sing-a-long of Sofa1 :bouncy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksla7SwOkFc&

[Edited on 11-5-11 by punknaynowned]
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 03:40

I don't drive but when I go to the DMV for an ID card here in town it's real quick. Shhhhh! best kept secret because it's a small office but never very busy.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 22:33

Lucky Huck!

Hey Punk, I like that Sofa! It's more of a sari thing that guy is wearing though.
But the grand question is: what on earth made you think I like guys in dresses?

At any rate, thanks for posting! I watch Eurovision and that usually gives me a headache, so I could use something different.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 01:04

haha, two words: Tim Curry!

and Bonny, I'll not likely spend any more time at the z forum. I realized all I was doing was talking politics and not anything else and trying to answer all the claptrap with facts and reason was getting nowhere fast.

But, I still consider a few people like you as very near and dear. As modern communication renders distances moot, I never feel like you're very far away. Just a couple clicks away at most. I could post more but it would be all the news mostly which wouldn't be much fun.

here's more from my fave japanese popgroup. Great music, amazing performances, many kinds of music and while intense there is a ton of structure and melody, from 2003, this is shiina's first dvd with her rockgroup,
the rest of the dvd is on the sheena ringo playlist
if you push the 'playlist' button it'll show up in the right margin...
http://www.youtube.com/user/endsenten#p/c/0/tu8vqNEGjIo
polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 15-5-2011 at 02:47

Wow, so I've finished two weeks of my contract already. Where does the time go? It's going well, which is the main thing. Now it's Sunday already and I've still got marking and lesson preparation to do before tomorrow. Tuesday I'll be at the dentist getting an implant. I'm looking forward to being able to chew on both sides of my mouth again.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-5-2011 at 20:53

Aw Punky, that's sweet...
Just remember to never take anything away from yourself that you love...

That procedure sounds painful, Poly! Hope all goes well...

Had my laugh of the day when Dad and I were going to two flea markets. The outside temperature has dropped considerately and it was raining a bit. When I walked out wearing a T-shirt, Dad said: "Are you sure you don't want anything else for wearing? It's very chilly." I said: "Sure, I'll get my cape."

We didn't even find the second flea market. Half the small town of Lieshout (famed for its beer Bavaria, the most disgusting beer from the Netherlands according to students) had been blocked because of a minor cycling event.

Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 17-5-2011 at 01:11

I still like to read the politics on Z but do take certain members with a grain of salt and try not to engage them too much. There are still some very well read people on there.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 17-5-2011 at 09:28

Well, the dentist thing came and went without any problems this morning. I took a valium a half hour before hand. The actual procedure wasn't that difficult and when the pain appeared a couple of hours after, ibuprofen and paracetamol were enough to cope with that. I'll be back at work tomorrow almost as if nothing happened. That's modern medicine for you. The only step left to go now is after 5 or 6 months healing I get a crown put in.

I've just been out in the garden helping my youngest son with his school personal project, which is designing and installing a water feature in our front garden. He had decided on a fish pond. He had already finished the digging out of the basic shape previously so today he put in the plastic lining and filled it with water. It's looking good.

Pages:  1  ..  74    76    78  ..  348

Go To Top