Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Indestructible iPod's
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 18:10
Indestructible iPod's

For those of you who don't know me I have been through a lot of stuff in the past 6 months. Foreclosure, Divorce, Job loss, Kidney Stones, Bladder infection etc. But in the face of all that I have managed to quit drinking (2 months now) and am still looking for work.

So, one thing that really helps a lot in trying times like that is the greatest invention known to mankind as the iPod. Last night I decided to take a shower and listen to something other than public radio so I hook up my iPod to the radio using the auxiliary input but the protective plastic sleeve is keeping the plug from going all the way into the input so I was only getting half a signal.

I tried to take it off and whoops dropped in the toilet.

today I go to start it up and it works!

Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 19:00

eh maybe I spoke too soon. It is having problems like turning up loud by itself etc. but I am syncing it now and plan to restore the software tonight. this one i have had for 4 years! I have another one that is 5 or 6 years old but i need to re-charge it every day so it's only my emergency pod.

BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 19:30

Hmmm... never had one. I even rarely play my Discman.

Great to hear you got to half-fix it! Maybe DED can help out a little, hope he's coming to chat soon.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 04:39

Well they gave me an option of buying one just like the one I got for less than half the price. $149.00 and I got it for $399.00 it's brand new just not the newest model wich is totally cool with me! All I really need is 60 gigabites anyway!

I'm going to go get it tomorrow.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 08:22

That's 3/8th of the price... goodness! It does pay to wait with such purchases!

I guess the bulk of music I listen to (classical) will be totally lost in MP3.

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 28-10-2008 at 22:32

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP: I guess the bulk of music I listen to (classical) will be totally lost in MP3.

MP3s can be created with a higher sample rate to get very good audio quality. If you're using an iPod you can use ACC compression which is better than MP3. I've got lots of classical stuff on my iPod and it sounds fine.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 08:49

Hmmm... maybe... Thing is I just prefer to listen to music on my own. So I can dance and hum along without anyone else being bothered. (Sometimes with me those things go without me realizing...)

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 12:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck_Phlem
For those of you who don't know me I have been through a lot of stuff in the past 6 months. Foreclosure, Divorce, Job loss, Kidney Stones, Bladder infection etc. But in the face of all that I have managed to quit drinking (2 months now) and am still looking for work.

So, one thing that really helps a lot in trying times like that is the greatest invention known to mankind as the iPod. Last night I decided to take a shower and listen to something other than public radio so I hook up my iPod to the radio using the auxiliary input but the protective plastic sleeve is keeping the plug from going all the way into the input so I was only getting half a signal.

I tried to take it off and whoops dropped in the toilet.

today I go to start it up and it works!

Geez Huck. At least it must be all up hill from there.

I don't have an ipod either like Bonny. Maybe I should get one. My problem is that I feel so guilty listening to music in my spare time...I know what I really should be doing is studying. And I can't study and listen at the same time.

But I do admit that for people unlike me who can't stand the guilt of enjoying themselves, they are brilliant. One of my friends recently said to me that when she travels she uses an ipod to 'make a sountrack to her life'. She now has a unique way of remembering her experiences--through songs. I never thought of that use for an ipod before.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 15:23

Well there was this "soundtrack of your life" topic on the Zappaforum. Bit silly, nobody's going to read it. Like the YouTube threads or the "What are you listening to now?"

You don't really need to use an I-pod for that do you? I mean, I'll never be able to listen to Bob Marley again without thinking about my ex, to City of Tiny Lights without thinking of the Booster-ride, Soeur Sourire's Dominique without thinking of my neighbors arguing...

Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 01:41

fuck now my iMac took a crap and the mother board is messed up so I had to carry it on my bike more than 3 miles to the Apple store.

when it rains it pours!

Next thing I'll not get the loan modification and I will lose my beautiful vintage drum set and all my guitars too.

Life's a Bitch then you fucking marry one!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 09:24

You should stay away from dogs (groan).

(pats on back) Do you have any adequate rain outfits? They're a necessity around here...

feetlightup
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 20:20

I never go anywhere without my iPod. I'm on my third one. Mine haven't been so undestructible apparently. though I never dropped mine in a toilet, the hard drive just crapped out on me both times. I've had my current one about 2 years now, and it's 80 GB of dynamite. Hope it lasts a couple more.

I used to care a lot more about audio fidelity, now it's really a distant second in priorities. A distant second to convenience. I put a huge price tag on convenience cause I'm lazy.

sorry to hear about your recent trials, Huck. Life can suck sometimes. Happiness is fleeting - a good cookie, a backrub, an A on your social studies test, waiting for the pizza to arrive, getting a new CD... those are the good times.
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 6-11-2008 at 04:20

Well I got the new one with the money I got from cashing out my 401-k (hey you need to treat yourself especially in times like I'm having)

The computer was in need of a new mother board so now i have everything going and I load up the new one I got for 149 dollars (brand new just two generations ago).

then after almost an hour of syncing I start it up and every menu is in Japanese!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Took me 20 minutes to find the right menu for the iPod language.

hey if you want some good fidelity get some Koss Porta pro headphones! All Koss headphones are guaranteed for life! those suckers sound awesome but look kind of goofy so someone won't really think to rip them off!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-11-2008 at 12:24

Did you try an on-line English manual Huck? I can't imagine there isn't one.

Those headphones sound great! With me, wired headphones rarely last a year, because I'm a rather active listener and because of the inconvenient location of the headphone socket on my Philips portable stereo. Currently I listen through Sony wireless headphones, but they peep a lot and sometimes they go in stand-by for no reason (and then they sound like Weasels Ripped My Flesh).

Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 21:46

check it out.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PORTAPRO

jabba
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 15-12-2008 at 19:18

I used to carry a 200 cd wallet to work with me every day and I would play dj all day long. Then during "Black Friday" last year I bought a 30gb Zune for $99 and I love it! Now I just bring my little zune with me everyday and plug it into my work stereo then hit "shuffle all". And when I buy new cds, I rip them and through em on the shelf keeping my new cds in perfect condition while I wear out the mp3s. The only bad thing is that now it's full! I've been eying one of those 120gb zunes for $249 but I can't justify buying a new one when mine still works!

Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 06:55

Go for the real deal. Get an iPod. iTunes IMO is the greatest invention ever next to the iPod itself!

jabba
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 15:35

I have to disagree, one of the deciding factors in my choosing a Zune was the fact that i tunes pisses me off. I had i tunes on my last pc (before I had a Zune) and it drove me batty. The Zune software is so much more user friendly. And, it allows me to sync my Zune with any pc that has the Zune software on it. Doesn't the ipod tie you down to one computer? I can go on my wife's laptop or over to my parents pc and tap right in to their collections. My only complaint with Zune is that we are living in an ipod world and there are hundreds of ipod accessories at stores like Best Buy and maybe half a dozen for my Zune.

[Edited on 12/16/2008 by jabba]

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 22:43

Quote:
Originally posted by jabba... I had i tunes on my last pc (before I had a Zune) and it drove me batty ... Doesn't the ipod tie you down to one computer? ...

Maybe it drove you batty because you just got on the wrong foot with it at the start, I find iTunes really easy to use. Yes, you can sync your iPod with iTunes on one computer if you want, but you don't have to. I don't, because I found syncing to be a pain in the ass. Syncing enables you to modify your iTunes music library as though it was your iPod music library without it being plugged in and then when you plug it in it is automatically updated but for me I hated not being able to plug into other machines without the hassle.

polydigm
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 22:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck_Phlem: ... if you want some good fidelity get some Koss Porta pro headphones! All Koss headphones are guaranteed for life! those suckers sound awesome but look kind of goofy so someone won't really think to rip them off!

Don't full on headphones chew up your iPod battery much quicker than ear buds?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top