Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Translation please.
jabba
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 18:34
Translation please.

Quote:
On Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am, brainpang wrote:
Zappa-Witwe verliert «Zappanale»-Streit Düsseldorf (dpa) - Die Witwe des US-Rockmusikers Frank Zappa hat einen Prozess um das deutsche Musikfestival «Zappanale» und den Bart ihres Mannes verloren. Das Düsseldorfer Landgericht wies die Zivilklage Gail Zappas am Mittwoch ab. Die Witwe wollte verhindern, dass das Festival weiter unter dem Namen «Zappanale» ausgerichtet wird. Sie sah darin Markenrechte verletzt. Auch das Logo, das einen stilisierten Bart Zappas (1940-1993, «Bobby Brown») darstellt, verletze Markenrechte, hatten die Zappa-Anwälte behauptet. Beides sah das Gericht anders: Die Klägerin habe nicht nachweisen können, dass sie ihre Wortmarke «Zappa» in Deutschland ernsthaft nutzt. Die Website in englischer Sprache mit Preisen in US-Dollar für Zappa-Devotionalien reiche als Nachweis nicht aus. Bei der Bildmarke, dem stilisierten Bart Zappas, seien die Unterschiede zum Festival- Logo so groß, dass keine Verwechslungsgefahr bestehe. Die 19. «Zappanale» hatte im vergangenen Jahr in Bad Doberan (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) 6800 Besucher angezogen. Der Vorsitzende der Festival-Veranstalterin Arf Society, Thomas Dippel, zeigte sich nach dem Urteilsspruch «sehr zufrieden». Die 20. «Jubiläums-Zappanale» könne wie geplant in diesem Jahr stattfinden. Man werde freiwillig den Zusatz «Zappa Music and more» anfügen, auf den man sich bei den Vergleichsverhandlungen mit den Zappa-Anwälten geeinigt hatte. Die Verhandlungen waren dennoch gescheitert. Die Witwe Zappas hatte in ihrer Zivilklage gegen den einzigen deutschen Zappa-Fanclub erklärt, sie habe in den USA den Eindruck gewonnen, der Name ihres Mannes werde als «Hingucker» für zum Teil völlig andere Musik benutzt. Der Rechtsvertreter des Fan-Clubs, Johannes Vogel, betonte, das Festival sei eindeutig «zappaesk».

I guess this is in regards to Zappanale dispute. Can anyone translate this for me?

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 18:42

Quote:
Originally posted by jabba
Quote:
On Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am, brainpang wrote:
Zappa-Witwe verliert «Zappanale»-Streit Düsseldorf (dpa) - Die Witwe des US-Rockmusikers Frank Zappa hat einen Prozess um das deutsche Musikfestival «Zappanale» und den Bart ihres Mannes verloren. Das Düsseldorfer Landgericht wies die Zivilklage Gail Zappas am Mittwoch ab. Die Witwe wollte verhindern, dass das Festival weiter unter dem Namen «Zappanale» ausgerichtet wird. Sie sah darin Markenrechte verletzt. Auch das Logo, das einen stilisierten Bart Zappas (1940-1993, «Bobby Brown») darstellt, verletze Markenrechte, hatten die Zappa-Anwälte behauptet. Beides sah das Gericht anders: Die Klägerin habe nicht nachweisen können, dass sie ihre Wortmarke «Zappa» in Deutschland ernsthaft nutzt. Die Website in englischer Sprache mit Preisen in US-Dollar für Zappa-Devotionalien reiche als Nachweis nicht aus. Bei der Bildmarke, dem stilisierten Bart Zappas, seien die Unterschiede zum Festival- Logo so groß, dass keine Verwechslungsgefahr bestehe. Die 19. «Zappanale» hatte im vergangenen Jahr in Bad Doberan (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) 6800 Besucher angezogen. Der Vorsitzende der Festival-Veranstalterin Arf Society, Thomas Dippel, zeigte sich nach dem Urteilsspruch «sehr zufrieden». Die 20. «Jubiläums-Zappanale» könne wie geplant in diesem Jahr stattfinden. Man werde freiwillig den Zusatz «Zappa Music and more» anfügen, auf den man sich bei den Vergleichsverhandlungen mit den Zappa-Anwälten geeinigt hatte. Die Verhandlungen waren dennoch gescheitert. Die Witwe Zappas hatte in ihrer Zivilklage gegen den einzigen deutschen Zappa-Fanclub erklärt, sie habe in den USA den Eindruck gewonnen, der Name ihres Mannes werde als «Hingucker» für zum Teil völlig andere Musik benutzt. Der Rechtsvertreter des Fan-Clubs, Johannes Vogel, betonte, das Festival sei eindeutig «zappaesk».

I guess this is in regards to Zappanale dispute. Can anyone translate this for me?

there should be an online converter and/ or somebody like Fritz will pipe in at the zforum...
we've been waiting a few years on this issue. I can wait a few more hours, asif this is really gonna decide things
:P
jabba
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 18:45

Quote:
BBP wrote:
YES!!! Justice!!
(translation by YT. I'm Dutch, so it's far from perfect. Wann Du Deutsch bist, bitte sag es wenn ich ein Fehler mache.

Zappa-widow loses Zappanale-battle.

Düsseldorf (dpa) - The widow of US rockmusician Frank Zappa has lost a trial on the German music festival Zappanale and the beard of her husband. The Düsseldorf court rejected Gail Zappa's complaint on Wednesday.

The widow wanted to prevent that the festival would still be held under the name of Zappanale. She saw a trademark breech. Also their logo, that is made of a styled Zappa (1940-1993, Bobby Brown) beard, breached trademarks, the Zappa lawyers claimed.

Both of these were disagreed upon by the court: the plaintiff couldn't prove that she seriously uses the brand "Zappa" in Germany. The website in English, with prices in US-dollars for Zappa-devotees did not matter. With the logo, the styled Zappa beard, the difference with the Zappanale logo was so big that there would be no danger of mixing up. The 19th Zappanale had drawn 6800 visitors last year in Bad Doberan (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern).

The president of the festival-organiser Arf Society, Thomas Dippel, was "very satisfied" with the verdict. The 20th Jubilee Zappanale can take place this year, as planned. They will voluntarily add the title "Zappa Music and more", on which they decided at negotiations with the Zappa lawyers. The negotiations were still aborted.

The Zappa widow had explained in her civil action against the only German Zappa-Fanclub, that she got the impression in the USA that the name of her husband was used to draw people to a festival that partially had different music. The attorney of the fan club, Johannes Vogel, emphasized that the festival was only "zappaesk".

Thanks

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 19:41

nice!
Bonny's trans is better than google!

I still don't get the counter-suit bit, but whatever.

It should be remembered this is a local Bad Doberan ruling and pertains only to the variation of name and stylistic efforts of the logo by the 'fan club'.
It has nothing to do with any other case about anything other thing, or even the same things in any other location . . .

Meaning this is not likely to deter Gail from sending C&D letters or paying for lawyers to investigate. I really don't think GZ is trying to kill anybody's fun: festivals, live music, or websites. Really. She does want people to know that Zappa's stuff should remain with the family and be released only by their decision.

Which seems right. Would any of you want your stuff to be dealt with any other way? Especially if there was such acclaim for it?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 19:59

I hope she's a sensible human being. However I fear, and to be honest think, that she's gone a little potty with it. Why didn't she start C&D-ing years ago?

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 21:17

she's been long aware that controversy generates new sales and now they have new stuff for sale. Some people might think it sick. It's not normal. She may be sick mentally, emotionally 'living in another world', but there is a real smartness about what she's doing. Frank knew he couldn't make all his fans happy. He didn't worry about that. He was more interested on whatever he was working on that moment, whether the fans liked it or not.
Now, I don't think the c&d-ing is done for ONLY the generating of controversy and so on, but I'm sure if a few people are so pissed off to actually stop buying new zappaproduct because of her actions, the zft don't care. The family are risking that getting articles printed in der speigel etc will be able to compensate in the long run by generating controversy.
Another significant thing in this is the difference of opinion between that of the hordes of consumers with a certain mind-set ( I want what I think I want and wanted it a long time ago . . .) and that of a producer (I made it and paid for it and if you want a copy or use what I made then you should pay for that privilege...)
She states that she is trying to protect the intent of the artist but also to protect his legacy. She's also saying that If someone like Frank Zappa, as prolific and internationally recognised an artist as he is CAN'T be protected, then nobody really is or have hope for their work to be protected. So they are rough and coarse and if anybody doesn't like it, they tell them to fuck off.
"We made our reputation that way."
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 28-11-2009 at 21:56

I wonder what Dweezil thinks of the way she handles business?

BBP
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
13-6-2023 at 21:05

Go To Top