PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should Dweezil Play His Own Music With DZPZ?
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 19:16
Should Dweezil Play His Own Music With DZPZ?

As the Zappa.com forum is hardly a place for such a discussion, and as Dweezil has proven to be highly arrogant in his post in the similar thread at DZW, I've decided to post this question here, at this friendly little place. After all it is a highly interesting question.

Do you think Dweezil should include his own music with DZPZ?

I definitely would consider seeing Dweezil's music live. His own recent compositions are allright and he is a good player. But by placing it in his FZ music concerts I think that'd be taking it a step too far. Dweezil is just not Frank, and I don't think his music reaches that level. As appetizer? Fine. But not mixing them.

But I think that, besides myself, a lot of people who were fan of Frank, but not of Dweezil, are really not interested in seeing his music. Of course, they won't come up at concerts telling Dweezil that. And they won't post it on his website. Considering what reaction Dweezil has given, that's not surprising.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 05:18

What was his reaction? I like his music in a different way. I wouldn't mind hearing purple guitar at a zpz show.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 08:15

The discussion is http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/forums/4/posts/2030-should-dweezil... . It's that kind of behaviour (like his blog concerning the Cholmondeley incident) that made me cease being a Dweezil fan.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 13:22

I have a recording of zpz playing peaches with all the wrong notes, on purpose.
It swings!
But that's about the extent to which I want to hear dweezil play his own music.
I'm grateful he plays his dad's music. More will get to hear it. I dislike his attitude that only HE knows what's it's supposed to be like. Part of that attitude is marketing though. Really. An act to promote his product. Sign of the times in a way.
MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 08:38

Dweezil will find out the answer to this question when he sees how many people go to the bathroom during one of his songs.

Hey: he plays two-and-a-half hours without an intermission. Ya gotta go sometime...
Huck_Phlem
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: cough*blowme* cough

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:26

I don't know if that was what I would consider a arrogant response. I don't know I just kind of think the thread itself was kind of messed up to post on dweezil's board in the first place in the way he said it. So I would expect that response I guess. It's like going to dinner at someones house and telling a guy his wife's cooking kind o sucks.

I do agree with Bon though that Dweezil really doesn't seem like that interesting of a guy now that I have gotten to see what he is really like.

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 9-9-2010 at 08:10

That was me that started that thread and personally, I wasn't that much of Dweezil fan before, but after his post in that thread he lost me completely, he could have handled that very differently but instead he decided to make it personal. And Huck, I disagree with your analogy, where else should what he does on stage be discussed and the attitude of his fans if not on his own web site. What I realised as the thread progressed was that I don't really give that much of a shit what ZPZ does. They're just a Frank Zappa cover band after all.

DED
Administrator

Mood: a happy upgrader feeling

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 22:21

It is my opinion that any band can kills itself in the creative proces. One of the most widely known examples is CCR. Famous band and top composer John Fogerty won't let other members bring in their own creativity. His brother left the band for that reason and it was the end of CCR. When you're honest to yourself you must say that if Dweezil plays his own music, it is still Zappa plays Zappa. I won't see any problem. Maybe his songs won't match in quality to the ones of his father, but I'm sure that they were not all masterpieces too.

Check out our new http://www.3xploeg.com or http://www.ploeg.ws websites. Unix and windows combined
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 08:36

DED: I'll play you some of Dweezil's music. There's a HUGE quality gap between the two. Sure, his last output (Go With What You Know) is OK, but that is if you don't count the insta-barf song Love Ride, the backwards played Eruption (Bwana Dik springs to mind), and the various Frank covers. Worst version of Peaches. Inca Roads solo is good, but the backing is empty and it's simply an outtake which is not fun to listen to. Dweezil doesnt have the editing skill Frank had, his fade-outs are horrible.
(goes on for hours beyond the point where everybody has stopped listening)

Go To Top