Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Zappadan 2011
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

ticking.gif posted on 5-12-2011 at 00:00
Zappadan 2011

In loving memory of the great master, I will start Zappadan again. This time I will be getting another slow start, considering St Nicholas is tomorrow and I still need to write poems and get some awesome presents.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 12:52

Started the insane gift wrapping (luckily I had started before but I had bought new presents and had the unholy idea of opening one present and wrap up every individual item in it separately) while listening to Freak Out.

I forgot where it was, when Zappa went to promote FO and was only allowed to play one of two songs on his album. One of the choices was ATWB (I'm convinced Freddie Mercury nicked the lyrics for Bohemian Rhapsody), and the other one was Brain Police. Why on earth would they put Prain Police in the top two least offensive songs on the album?
On several songs you can hear Zappa's playing with metre. Obviously this happens on How Could I Be Such A Fool?, where he describes shifting the accent, but also on ATWB and YDTTCM.
The amount of love songs on FO is surprisingly high. Might've been his divorce, who knows, but after Gail steps in his love songs become strongly reduced. We have a lot to thank Gail for.
And there it is, my annual glorification of HCIBSAF. It's in 3/4, the sheet music indicates no accidental at the start of the score, and it starts with a C major triad. Then it kicks in with a 6-drop sequence: C, Em, Bb, Dm, Ab, Cm, Gsus, G, Fm, G, and then starts at C again. So we have a cadenza on C major at the end of the first verse.
After the second one we have the verse, on Em. That would be a III on C major and is a VI on G.
Then comes the bridge You Spoiled Our Love, starting on F, moving to Ab, Gsus, and G. I'd guess the Ab functions as lead to G, which forms a cadenza with the final verse, another Em chorus kickoff that turns Em9 (spicy!), Gmaj7, F#m7, Em7.
There you have a piece that begins in major and ends in minor; unheard of in traditional harmony. Harmony is a pickle.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 15:24

Bonny!
can I play?:roll:
I started backwards. I don't have Carnegie, Monkeys, HO yet, so I started with Greasey Love Songs and then played Congress...
Next up Philly '76!
:biggrin:
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 00:39

Sure you can!

I love Hammersmith in spite of the artwork and the free balloon. The opening particularly: "You people are so boring you must be walking in your sleep."
Thanks Frank.

Grabbed TRFZB trying to find the story about Kenny's little creatures on display since he had a bit of an incident. He was supposed to take his wee to the doctor, but when he arrived there it was so busy he went back home and try again next day.
And next day he couldn't find his wee.

He found it back a few days ago: nearly a year since the doctor visit. He was wise enough not to open it and managed to dispose of it. We've rarely been so happy that the garbageman came.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 15:25

Philly '76: the super funky Tryin To Grow A Chin and City of Tiny Lights are great!! The Torture seems definitively creepy somehow, the guitar tone on Black Napkins and Advance Romance are splendid! Bianca is a real treat, the 200 Motels material a sometimes surprise. Quite a bit of fun and if it were split out as LP sides, three records worth of music!!

Lumpy Money 3, 2, 1: all night long!!! Disc 3 remains a real favorite. The 1984 Lumpy Gravy ties the whole body of zappa's work well in a strange way and the instrumental material from 1967 absolutely indispensable.

Joe's Menage: is a tasty sampler of a tour that should have a wider official distribution. Waterbury, CT, Kansas City, KA, or Lubliana, YU anyone?
anyone?

BB, in english, 'wee' still pretty much means to urinate or could refer to a penis, especially in reference to kids. Like a wee-wee. So I have no idea what your talkin about. But it seems a bit more disturbing than snot on a window.:biggrin:
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 20:22

Wikitionary:
References
Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary: Tenth Edition (1997)

[edit] Etymology 2

Unknown

[edit] Noun

wee (uncountable)
1.(colloquial, uncountable) urine
2.(colloquial) An act of urination. to have a wee

[edit] Synonyms
wee wee
See also Wikisaurus:urine
See also Wikisaurus:urination

[edit] Translations

(I learnt it from a John Inman interview)

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 21:23

oh of course, I forgot about the piss jars. How could I? blechh :D
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 11:14

Been shamefully underplaying, I've only had AF, LG and WOIIFTM so far. Get a move on Bon!!

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 22:45

today a long list:
One Shot Deal I like the bread (especially Trudgin') too!
Wazoo always deserves more spins
The Dub Room Special! plastic production imo
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-12-2011 at 10:57

Did Ruben (Greasy Love Songs), Uncle Meat and disk 1 of YCDTOSA 5 yesterday. I was playing Uncle Meat disk 2 while working on the Wasgij 18 jigsaw. I almost always use headphones but this time I played it over the stereo... and felt lucky Dad didn't walk in during the 30 minute excerpt.

Boy Uncle Meat hardly sounds like a masterpiece of cinema.

Had fun with the section of Little House on YCDTOSA.
Am going to get a move on today, waste little time. Where's my BWS?

BBP
Super Administrator

love.gif posted on 8-12-2011 at 11:36

BWS is fantastic!

Also played Hot Rats and Fillmore vinyls and am now listening to the 200 Motels overture which sounds suspiciously like Little House.

Also noticed that, although my Fillmore copy sounds a little faint, it's still a very enjoyable album with plenty mythology, even though the humour is a bit raunchy.

I'm making up for my earlier negligence and have also played Chunga and Just Another Band From LA. Now I have finished the 1000 piece jigsaw, within 24 hours, and am playing Waka Jawaka. and have Grand Wazoo about to run, and hope to play record 9 in the evening. Already through the Flo & Eddie period!

[Edited on 8-12-11 by BBP]

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 8-12-2011 at 22:51

today, in
Buffalo we are presented with 'the real world', courtesy of the mixers, engineers, disc manufacturers and the petrowhizz goo used to make the things this all gets played on. From Oct1980. Great! I just sometimes wish it were a different show from that tour at these high performance production standards.... y'know, maybe even some insane download of flacs covering ALL the vault tapes from 1980, whatever it is... that might be fun. Vinnie's a great drummer. The Keep It Greasy on this one is set at ludicrous speed. Art Barrow? Please. Frank is pretty much 'on' the whole time. Except for Honey Don't.Pick Me I'm Clean, City, Easy Meat, Torture all are great here.

MOFO gets played here but only discs 2-4. Save the other for later... this will continue into the night...

[Edited on 8-12-11 by punknaynowned]

[Edited on 9-12-11 by punknaynowned]
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 8-12-2011 at 23:02

temporal incongruities notwithstanding, I'm gonna fill this whiteboard up later

today the 2nd disc of MOFO (I went backwards, 4,3,2) got listened to, plus the extras on 'fazedooh' that weren't on the 4-disc. It's hard to listen to all of the percussion tracks even though the instrument separation and clarity is great. The instrumental backing tracks for the most part are my favorite of all this on MOFO.

Trance-Fusion is a good break from all the mid-'60's stuff. The more involved technology to get those space-age sounds, end up a refreshing contrast.

Imaginary Diseases once again is a revelation. The improvisation that runs through the first part of DC Boogie is out there!!

[Edited on 9-12-11 by punknaynowned]
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 11:56

Also listened to YCDTOSA vol 1 disk 1 last night. Am now listening to I'm the Slime. I love Slime in any version I've heard it yet.

There's such an enormous break between the fun fun of Flo & Eddie on JABFLA and the calm jazz and totally non-satiric country of Waka/Jawaka. No doubt the Rainbow incident's influence was huge.

MTF
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: :booM

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
There's such an enormous break between the fun fun of Flo & Eddie on JABFLA and the calm jazz and totally non-satiric country of Waka/Jawaka. No doubt the Rainbow incident's influence was huge.

That could be, but it could also be just a natural result of Frank wanting to go in a new direction. It was sort of the same situation with Lumpy Gravy and Hot Rats, except there were no near-death experiences involved...
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 11:18

Currently playing Bongo Fury.
Yesterday I had Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe('), YCDTOSA vol 2 completely, OSFA, Roxy, YCDTOSA vol 1 disk 2. This is the time I love Zappadan most.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 15:14

Had Zoot and am now onto the Läther albums. The only Zappa in lifetime I still sort of need is Sleep Dirt with vocals.

Currently I am playing Zappa in New York, which I also listened to on Dec 1st. Gail's quite a photographer.

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 22:37

Quote: Originally posted by MTF  
Quote: Originally posted by BBP  

That could be, but it could also be just a natural result of Frank wanting to go in a new direction. It was sort of the same situation with Lumpy Gravy and Hot Rats, except there were no near-death experiences involved...
I almost totally agree. I think if he hadn't been thrown off that stage there would have been at least one more Flo & Eddie album, but he would have gone on to write a lot of alternative music. I mean, he had already written all that music for 200 Motels, while continuing the road life. None the less, the intensity of his writing during that convalescent period is unparalleled.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 22:38

So today: Bongo Fury, Zoot Allures, ZINY, Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favourites, Studio Tan, Sheik Yerbouti, and I'll play a YCDTOSA later on. Whoo!

Noticed similarities between Regyptian Strut and Cleetus Awreetus-Awritus.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 22:50

finishing the Joe series
Joe's XMasage worth it for Why Don'cha Do Me Right
Joe's Domage still a favorite!
Joe's Corsage that mid 60's sound!!!
I skipped Halloween and QuAUDIOPHILIAc for now. I will try to get those in later,,,
FZ:OZ: I actually like the rough prot-version of Kreega Bondola, I mean Let's Move To Cleveland, called Canard Toujours here. Rough and barely serviceable, but there it is.

I better get a move on, I still haven't progressed past this last decade, with over 24 hours of music listened to. I may have to forget the can't do that on stage series and leave it til the week between xmas and new year's. We'll see.

[Edited on 10-12-11 by punknaynowned]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top