Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Zappadan 2012
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 19:18

Just played YAWYI today. Over headphones on vinyl, I apparently have the "bad" German pressing. Are there ANY good releases of this album?
Anyway I still think it's a bit of a cockup. Songs like Teenage Wind and Harder Than Your Husband are boring, a lot of the songs are messy. Any Downers is a poorer version of Dirty Love. It's weird how Dumb All Over continues a bit on the flip side.

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 22:13

Played LSO first CD today, then misplaced it so I can't play the rest.
Stupid head!

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 13:31

Found LSO back last night, played YCDTOSA 3/1 (oh bless, Frank laughing so hard he can't perform...) and am currently waiting with playing music since I'm going to put it on while I clear my room. Last time I did that, Dad was clearing out my sister's room and put a large bag filled with puzzle booklets in my room. After that, he retrieved three boxes full of soft toys from the attic, which is honking up space right now.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 16:30

Cleared the room a bit, listening to LSO 2 and TPS, am now playing FZ:MOP and have Francesco lying around.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 17:05

After what I'll call a break, I start with
The Yellow Shark and then Joe's Garage III, II, and Civilization Phaze III, Joe's Garage I, and The Lost Episodes

sunny and cold here today
Calvin
Apostrophe Status

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 01:08

Quote: Originally posted by BBP  
Just played YAWYI today. Over headphones on vinyl, I apparently have the "bad" German pressing. Are there ANY good releases of this album?
Anyway I still think it's a bit of a cockup. Songs like Teenage Wind and Harder Than Your Husband are boring, a lot of the songs are messy. Any Downers is a poorer version of Dirty Love. It's weird how Dumb All Over continues a bit on the flip side.

I'm supposed to have the "best" version of YAWYI and I still think it's not all that good.

Hi there.
polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 08:14

I have all my Zappa albums organised in genres. There are, in my opinion of course, a solid batch of core FZ albums. I call that Zappa Core. Those with mostly new tracks but not including those with only solos. Then I have Zappa Extra, which are special projects like the Shut Up and Guitar solo compilations and Best Band, Humour, Offended, Ahead of Their Time, the You Can't Do That series and so on. I aim, when I find the time to put a special burn together of tracks from that whole genre that are particularly unique. At the very least, Bolero, Cleveland and Stairway from Best Band will be on there, if that gives you an idea of what I mean. And, please forgive me, but Thing Fish is not in my core list. The idea is definitely a core idea, but he fucked the idea up by not writing totally new music for it. Imagine the idea of Thing Fish with totally new music. Forget CP3, they'd be calling that his masterwork. I love Frank, but he was human and he fucked up badly more than once.

Anyway, during Zappadan, as during any other time, I'm just too busy to listen to FZ's entire collection, so I just keep on doing what I do most of the time - listen to Zappa Core on random on my iPhone when I'm travelling in-between the various locations where I'm far too busy to listen to any music.

One thing Zappa Core on random does is enable you to appreciate things you don't normally because you wouldn't listen to one particular album all the way through in one sitting. I agree with Bonny, up to a point, YAWYI just pisses me off most of the time, it's just too clever, too slick, too relentless ... shut the fuck up and play your guitar Frank or let the band play some instrumental wonderment to break it up. So, on random, out of context of YAWYI, I've learnt to really appreciate every track on that album.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 13:05

Mine are on chronological order, except for the double jewelcases (UM, 200M, Lather, Thing-Fish and... oh bugger...), the special boxes, and of course the vinyl. Last night I played the first two sides of Them or Us, and YCDTOSA 3/2, with the tear gas.
The YCDTOSA series has some gems I'd put in my core collection. I love the "I want a garden" section, it's delightfully bizarre and cultural too! Also, the disk 4 section of My Guitar / Willie The Pimp / Montana / Brown Moses / Evil Prince. Particularly the Evil Prince bit.

I can understand why people don't like Thing-Fish, which I'm listening to now. Personally I want Dale to put a sock in it. And the Evil Prince, which is a beautiful piece of music, is performed badly here. But the Mudd Club is undeniably better than on YAWYI and it's great to have Blue Light unscratched. And it's gotten a whole new dimension now that Tim Curry-fanhood has driven me to actually watching Annie. Shudder.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 18:07

Now running one of my favourite records with no unique material: DHBIM? Sounds great throughout.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-12-2012 at 14:36

Things got a bit slow yesterday, since I'm beta-testing an installer for somebody right now and am playing Legend Of Kyrandia because of it. A large, frustrating bit is a cave maze. It's dark in there and the only light source within comes from fireberries: you can pick them up and bring them with you, but they'll only last 3 screens: if you walk in a dark screen without them, you're dead. So I ended up mapping a maze. I hate mazes.

Anyway, played YCDTOSA 4/1 yesterday, with the awesome Evil Prince on it. It proves my UMRK theory: Frank was just sensitive to over-producing and in non-live-recordings he often goes overboard. He does that on Valley Girl, on YAWYI, on TMFU and on TF. Thing-Fish could've been a lot better with a different Evil Prince. Although Napi is not a bad singer, his performances on both the Aria Of The Evil Prince and Wistful could've been much better.

Now playing: SUAPYG.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-12-2012 at 21:10

Finished Kyrandia (thank heavens), played Them Or Us Sides 3 and 4, am now listening to JFH and have Broadway here.

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 13-12-2012 at 22:59

Another thing about playing FZ on random is that you get some really good segues every now and then. But, so far, I haven't bothered noting any of them down. I'll have to make a point of doing that from now on.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-12-2012 at 11:35

Did YCDTOSA vol 4/2 last night. It's peculiar how it ends with all the old R&B songs. Up to a point I thought it wasn't too enjoyable, and then of course you get Tiny Sick Tears... :lol:

Am now playing Broadway The Hard Way, my European edition without the Bolero. Heavy Duty Judy is in my top 10 least favourite Zappa songs.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-12-2012 at 22:58

Played my Guitar vinyl. I understand it's one of the cases where the CD is actually better, but I could not take much more of the Ol' G Minor Thing. I'm beginning to understand why several people have such a dislike for Vai, although in this case it's more his guitar tone.
I do love For Duane, though. It's very touching Frank made a musical tribute to him: he didn't do that a lot. Only Ives springs to mind, and perhaps Eric Dolphy.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-12-2012 at 12:18

Am now playing Playground Psychotics. This one normally doesn't get a lot of airtime, but while I was making 50 Titles, I was on a Billy The Mountain Trip.

Also have MAJNH lying next to me, played YCDTOSA 5/1 last night. ("I'm whipping this horse to make it go faster." "That's not a horse, that's a table!" "What's the difference?"

Hey I bet with a dictionary to look up what horse and whipping and difference and faster is, I could translate that to Japanese!

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 15-12-2012 at 23:16

It took several days for me to listen to those listed on teh 12th,,,
today I listened to Orchestral Favorites, Lather except for the OF and Sleep Dirt overlaps
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-12-2012 at 12:07

Played YCDTOSA 5/2 last night.
Say, 5 days left, and I only have YCDTOSA 6, Yellow Shark and CP3 to go!

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 17-12-2012 at 06:37

Yesterday, Sunday, I listened to
the rest of Lather, Shiek Yerbouti, FZplaysFZ, the rest of Sleep Dirt (there's three versions of some of those songs), the few HIOS? tracks that are not elsewhere, NOT Studio Tan as that was already on Lather, so, Zappa In New York was next minus the things that were on Lather, Mystery Disc, Zoot Allures and followed up with Everything Is Healing Nicely.

Next up on Monday:
Bongo Fury, FZ:OZ, One Size Fits All, Halloween, Roxy & Elsewhere, Joe's Corsage, Apostrophe, Quaudiophiliac, Overnite Sensation, Joe's Domage, The Grand Wazoo, Joe's Xmasage, Waka-Jawaka

but that's about twelve hours of music! we'll see how I do.
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-12-2012 at 10:05

You'd be surprised... It's easy to take a lot of Zappa, even though sometimes I end up hearing the same song numerous times in a few hours.

My sister came to visit, so it's a bit slow, but last night I played Monkies and I'm now listening to YCDTOSA 6/1, which is badly scratched by a tumble from the CD rack.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-12-2012 at 11:48

YCDTOSA 6/2 two nights ago, Yellow Shark last night... By my rules there's nothing besides CP3 now, but I'll watch 200 Motels today and will play Zappa/Wazoo.

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top