PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: ...(fill in the blank) just died...
AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 13-1-2023 at 21:28

Lisa Marie Presley

AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 13-1-2023 at 21:29

Robbie Knievel

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 14-1-2023 at 07:43

My sister is 76, ten years older than me. She's losing the plot and I'm very concerned about her. In a recent conversation she was complaining about getting old, so I said, come on, Jeff Beck is 78 and he's still touring. Two weeks later he's dead. That blew me away.

GrayGhost
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: Skeptically Optimistic.....

[*] posted on 18-1-2023 at 08:34

Back in the day all the girls wanted to be Renee Geyer…..

'The irreplaceable Renee'

Australian music industry pays tribute to singer Renee Geyer

Callum Godde and Duncan Murray
07:22, Jan 18 2023

Melbourne-born Renee Geyer, one of Australia's most respected and successful soul singers, was discovered to have inoperable lung cancer while being treated in hospital.

The Australian music world is mourning singer and ARIA Hall of Famer Renee Geyer after her death from complications following hip surgery at the age of 69.

Melbourne-born Geyer, one of Australia's most respected and successful soul singers, was discovered to have inoperable lung cancer while being treated in hospital.

She died surrounded by family and friends, her record label Mushroom Records announced on Tuesday.

"Naturally, we are all utterly devastated," a statement said.

"Just last month, Renee sang to a full house and was looking forward to another busy year ahead doing what she loved most.

"She lived her life as she performed - to the fullest - and her passing leaves a giant void in the Australian music industry."

Fellow soul singer and friend Kate Ceberano said Geyer carved the word woman into the psyche of the Australian music mentality.
Geyer fronted a number of bands in the 1970s, including jazz-rock group Sun, before beginning her four-decade solo career.

In 1973, the first of her 15 studio albums was released.

But it was her 1974 cover of the James Brown classic It's a Man's Man's Man's World that launched her to a mass audience.

The singer was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame in 2005 and became the first woman to be inducted into the Music Victoria Hall of Fame in 2013.

She also received the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award at the Australian Women in Music Awards in 2018 and appeared on the ABC's music quiz show Spicks and Specks.

Mushroom Group chief executive, Matt Gudinski, who is the son of legendary promoter Michael Gudinski, said Geyer was a "fierce, independent, strong and passionate" trailblazer for women in the music industry.

"Renee always did things her own way and we loved her for that," Gudinski said.

Geyer continued to perform and release music after she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009, with her last album released in 2013.

A 2013 poll ranked her the seventh-best Australian voice of all time.

Fellow soul singer and friend Kate Ceberano said Geyer carved the word woman into the psyche of the Australian music mentality.

"You strutted into our hearts and lives with your soul in your sleeve," she wrote on Facebook.

"Renee the powerful, the diva, the brutal, the original, the temperamental, the stellar, the shapeshifter, the original, the unforgettable, the irreplaceable Renee!"

Australian music legend Marcia Hines described Geyer as a game changer, a soul diva, her sister in song and possessing one of the greatest voices she has ever heard.

Joe Camilleri of The Black Sorrows described Geyer as a "singer's singer."

"Let's not forget the many who were influenced by Renee. Her contribution should never be forgotten.Soul free in sweet harmony," Camilleri posted on Facebook.

Geyer sang backup vocals on a number of Hoodoo Gurus albums, prompting the band to post on social media she had changed all their lives for the better.

"Renee was a fiercely original talent who carved out a huge legacy in Australian music," the band posted.

A memorial for Geyer will be held at a later date.

GrayGhost
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 18-1-2023 at 08:57

Back in the day all the boys wanted to be Larry Morris…..

NZ music legend Larry Morris dies, 75, leaving behind a half century of music

Ryan Anderson
16:30, Jan 18 2023

Larry Morris, musician and Kiwi rocker has passed away

NZ Music Hall of Famer Larry Morris has passed away late on Tuesday night, leaving behind a music career spanning more than 50 years.

Morris was a legend of the New Zealand music scene, who still performed up until recently at local Auckland bars.

Long-time friend and singer/songwriter Rietta Austin said Morris was a best mate.

“He was one of those people who inspired you, he could be himself in a world of music where nobody is allowed to be themselves any more.”

“He was just an awesome dude.”

The pair had performed many times together and had planned to do more songwriting in the future.

Morris became the frontman of The Rebels early on in his career, which later re-branded to Larry’s Rebels

Morris was a musical hero in New Zealand – someone who was genuinely talented and a freaking great mate, she said.

“He was a rebel to the end.”

Posting about his passing, the NZ Music Hall of Fame called Larry’s Rebels the first great homegrown pop band of the modern pop era.

“Our condolences go out to all who knew Larry (and that’s a lot!), his friends, family, and to the Rebels – Viv, Nooky, Terry and John.”

“Rest in peace Larry”.

Audio Culture’s Simon Grigg said Morris was one of the greatest figures in New Zealand music.

“Talented both as a singer and a songwriter, absolutely unique and a man who defined his era,” he wrote in a tribute to the late rock star.

There has been an outpouring of tributes for Morris online, with many calling him one of the best ever Kiwi entertainers.

Speaking to Stuff before his 70th birthday in 2017, Morris said he was in the happiest space he had ever been in his life.

"I have a wonderful wife, Gloria, I'm looking after my parents with her help. I have just released two records. Life couldn't be better.

"[Early in my career], when it came time to sort out a name for the band, the other members said, 'well, Larry is the frontman, let's call it Larry's Rebels.
I was very anti the idea, because it wasn't my band but Nooky, Terry and John were emphatic it was the way to go.
I would have preferred it had had just stayed as The Rebels, but that's not how it turned out and the rest, as they say, is history."

In their early days Larry’s Rebel became part of New Zealand pop history with five consecutive top 10 hits and a style and swagger about them
that led their management company to use the phrase "lock up your daughters: Larry's Rebels are coming to town”.

AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 18-1-2023 at 15:39

Quote: Originally posted by polydigm  
My sister is 76, ten years older than me. She's losing the plot and I'm very concerned about her. In a recent conversation she was complaining about getting old, so I said, come on, Jeff Beck is 78 and he's still touring. Two weeks later he's dead. That blew me away.

Unfortunate. But I get your point. I think back to when I was a just a kid and I think about my Grandfather. At the time, he was just in his 60s....an age I am rapidly approaching. I think to myself whether I could see him strutting across a stage in front of 50K people. The answer is no. But there I am out there still gigging (not to 50K ).

Just another child that's grown old.
AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 20-1-2023 at 05:11

David Crosby :(

AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 23-1-2023 at 22:29

I'm a little late with this one. Growing up, I was a huge fan of the 3 time (consecutively) World Champion Oakland A's. I'm sure there will be more of these in the not too distant future, but still, it hurts....

RIP Sal Bando (Fuck you, Cancer!)

GrayGhost
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 29-1-2023 at 10:46

And the hits keep on coming…..

Guitarist Tom Verlaine, co-founder of Television, dies at 73
jimmied
Freak Out! Status

[*] posted on 30-1-2023 at 18:28

Barrett Strong, ‘Money’ Singer and Motown Songwriter, Dies at 81

AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 31-1-2023 at 06:21

Laverne & Shirley together again

Cindy Williams

AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 9-2-2023 at 20:44

“What the world needs now is love, sweet love….it’s the only thing that there’s just too little of”. - RIP Burt Bacharach

ursinator2.0
Sheik Yerbouti Status

Mood: in between :-) and :-(

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 20:57

Carlos Saura (91), renowned spanish film director.
AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 15-2-2023 at 21:17

Raquel Welch

BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 15-2-2023 at 21:24

Did ya know she shares her birthday with Dweezil?

(factoid from my birthday collecting days)

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
AGuyWithAWrench
200 Motels Status

[*] posted on 16-2-2023 at 21:14

^ I did not....

Tim McCarver

GrayGhost
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 18-2-2023 at 10:01

The things you learn on the Goose…..
Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 18-2-2023 at 17:26

I must admit I was hot for fuzzy britches when I was a boy...;)
GrayGhost
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 18-2-2023 at 22:34

Quote: Originally posted by Plook  
I must admit I was hot for fuzzy britches when I was a boy...;)

My old man wasn't a big movie fan, but this poster was on the back of the shed door…..

Plook
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 18-2-2023 at 23:50

So One Million Years B.C. made him a movie buff...:lol:
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top