Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What are you listening to right now, Phase V.V.II
Henry
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 17-3-2024 at 12:55

I'm enjoying a brace of fine records just now. Hot Rats sounds great on the Bernie Grundman 2008 remaster. I got that new and sealed. Only Peaches en regalia was known to me so it is a fabulous treasure trove of new music.

On Friday I secured a mint copy of James Blood Ulmer's 1983 LP 'Odyssey' for just a tenner. The harmolodic Avant Gutwrenching electric guitarist has an unusual style that doesn't require a bass and the album benefits from an electric violinist who sometimes uses a wah wah pedal. It is great stuff and I imagine not unknown in this Zappa forum?
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 17-3-2024 at 21:53

Glad you liked Hot Rats - its a beauty, next you should listen to Waka/Jawaka (also known as Waka/Jawaka — Hot Rats) followed by the Grand Wazoo- all of these LP's are interconnected and are similarly Jazz influenced.

I'm just playing Jethro Tull A Passion Play - got it in good used nick for $20 :cool:

South of the Border
Henry
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 17-3-2024 at 23:19

Hot Rats really is a beauty and I love how it progresses into full on fusion. I was going to ask for suggestions about what should come next, though it will probably be a year or two until I get it, so I'll look into Waka/Jawaka. I have Grand Wazoo on CD. That is very good.

Passion Play is a nice one. Do you have the Chateau d'isaster tapes? I was listening to them for a long time before getting A Passion Play.
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 18-3-2024 at 02:32

Chateau d'isaster tapes No - I'll have to look them up. was surprised to see passion play at the second hand record shop in Robe lol, so grabbed it

South of the Border
Henry
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 18-3-2024 at 14:49

Was definitely worth grabbing. I don't have This Was, Minstrel, TAAB or Passion Play on vinyl so would stump up for a good one of any of those for a tenner.

I got the Chateau d'isaster stuff from a double CD called 'Nightcap' which had a fair bit of decent unreleased material on it.
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 18-3-2024 at 21:25

Will check out Nightcap', the first Jethro Tull LP I ever brought was "Original Masters", got it in 1987 back in the day - think I have about 6 of their LP's on Vinyl :shy:

South of the Border
Henry
Hot Rats Status

[*] posted on 19-3-2024 at 13:31

The Chateau d'isaster tapes are also on the '20 years of Jethro Tull' 5 LP boxset. However that is best avoided if you see a vinyl copy. I bought it when it came out in 1988 and the audio is virtually unplayable. It is so compressed that it sounds like it is coming out of a seventies transistor radio.

My vinyl of Benefit had the status of 'best music ever' back in the day and I've played it to pieces. That is probably the only one that I would replace. There is a remaster from 2013 which is out of my price range and I'm not sure whether the lo-fi original would benefit from the greater detail that a remaster would achieve. I'll probably just keep an eye out in the bins for a decent OG.
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 19-3-2024 at 21:23

Thanks for the heads up on the box set, I brought a Bruce Springsteen (Yuck) box set nack in the day - as was going cheap and has the same problem compressed to oblivion- Thats one thing that was never a problem with Zappa LP's (except the pirates), always very high quality.

South of the Border
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 22-3-2024 at 12:29

Gotta post this one- Billy Thorpe- always sang from the heart, even if the songs did not always works but this one does for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2otYUKVnSo

South of the Border
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 22-3-2024 at 12:42

One more from Billy - Give it some time just let it got to 2.30 when he lets the guitar start to rip- acoustic version Billy style lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVrt5IY7ak8

South of the Border
Eddie RUKidding
Sheik Yerbouti Status

[*] posted on 22-3-2024 at 13:01

Sorry last one from Billy = Oz music hero - can not post this one - with Mick Fleetwood on drums one of his mates
https://youtu.be/t0UFqtHg_A0

South of the Border
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top