PackardGoose.com Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  50
Author: Subject: The infamous "What album did you last buy" thread..
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 22:38

I have those two Dolphy records!

and I have a digital copy of Frank's copy of "Three Hours Past Midnight" broadcast over the radio in 1968 :roll:

I think I have that version of Stolen Moments too, I just can't find it right now! :singer:

What I need to get is The Rites of Spring and that hot lookin Ensemble Modern show with Octandre and all the other zappa stuff that Mr Green Genes put up the other day . . .
aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 06:07

Meshuggah: Obzen.
Earth: Earth 2.

[Edited on 2-7-2008 by aquagoat]

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 00:20

Led Zeppelin: III & Physical Graffiti

I've been buying these mainly to have them on CD and they've been going real cheap. Not that I had them on vinyl, I used to, but they got sold a long time ago. I still like most of their stuff.

Roger Waters: Radio KAOS

I only had this on cassette. It's my favourite of his albums.

George Duke: Face The Music

I think I may still have "I Love The Blues She Heard My Cry" on vinyl, but I thought it was about time I got something on CD. Some of it's not bad, but some of it is just a bit too sweet for my taste.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 03:54

cool polyd!
I used to have those too a long time ago. Still like 'em, I haven't listened to LZ III in . . . it must be 20 years! I only heard Radio KAOS a few times back when it came out. It'd probably be good again, interesting insight perhaps in the situation here in the states. Don't think I've ever heard a whole Duke record all the way thru. Which is surprising as I think he's great on all the z records and there are a number of Dupree's Paradise type improv's I've heard that always knock me out. Just never have pursued it.
I got a bunch of things the other day:
Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd: Jazz Samba
The Replacements first ep on cd STINK "Kids Don't Follow" Plus Seven
The Clash's Sandanista! on a newer remaster
and two from the Bonzo Dog Band: Keynsham and the Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse:freak:
BBP
Super Administrator

Mood: Cheerful yet relaxed

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 07:10

LZ 3... is that the one I have with the kids on the cover? Not too big a fan of LZ... they bore me too quickly.

I guess Zappa's really made me spoilt! :)

Check out my site at:http://bonny.ploeg.ws
punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 19:01

III had a rotating disk with a bunch of individual odd items and images all over a white background, with the letters Led Zeppelin and three puffy roman I's. On the record you turn the dial and different images will appear in the holes cut in the front face of it. . . .

can I hotlink to a page here?
the ones with the kids is Houses of the Holy.
I listened to way too much Led Zep in highschool. They taught me a lot about blues music. "Led Zeppelin, the gateway-drug:lol:

I understand BB after getting into Zappa, Zeppelin can seem almost simple by comparison. But even I know that Zeppelin's greatness lies in the size of it. If you wanted to hear rock-n-roll, they gave an avalanche. For the 'Let the Sunshine In' crowd [:lol:], they gave a supernova. If you want a little fire, they gave volcanic eruptions of thunderous power. And so on.
Think BIG, CRUSHING.:lol:

Now something like Filthy Habits, Yo Mama or even Torture can have that kind of effect and done like nobody but Zappa. But I like Treacherous Cretins as well as any of Zeppelin's more airy, ethereal things. In The Light on Physical Graffiti is really nice. I just remembered I have much of a 9 cd set of Led Zep outtakes, live things and rehearsals. A big set. So this moment I listen to a 9 minute demo of Jimmy Page on acoustic guitar with Robert singing "That's The Way" from III. It must be outside because you can hear the effect of the wind on the microphone, there's a dog barking. Always liked that song. I listened to this record a lot in my freshman year of college . . .
BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 07:00

Isn't that from Hair, Let The Sunshine In?

Just checked: I have Houses. It's earlier on in this thread.

[Edited on 19-6-08 by BBP]

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 08:25

Hair, yes. Age of Aquarius, yes. Whole Lotta Love, exact contemporary, big hit here.
:-D
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 20-6-2008 at 07:37

Quote:
Originally posted by BBP
LZ 3... is that the one I have with the kids on the cover? Not too big a fan of LZ... they bore me too quickly.

I guess Zappa's really made me spoilt! :)

I think you're right. And it's worse if you get into FZ early, like in high school, right when everybody's getting into music. And instead of having common musical interests with your friends like normal, you see what they listen to as extremely lame and boring in comparison.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-6-2008 at 08:24

I suffered that even before I listened to Zappa, with my Mozart, Beethoven and DAAU.
God thing: DAAU is still around and even stronger, Mozart and Beethoven will always be respected. But where's Peter Andre now? Korn? Limp Bizkit? SpiceGirls? Nothing but nostalgia reunions.

polydigm
King Kong Status

Mood: Inspired

[*] posted on 20-6-2008 at 11:18

Whatever contrasts I draw between Zappa's music and the rest, I still find much of Led Zeppelin's music a cut above.

punknaynowned
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 20-6-2008 at 13:02

Jimmy Page's production values [for once as far as producers go] did an unparalelled job and made their sound the benchmark for rock in the '70's (and a lot of the '80's too if you think about it). He built that sound from the arrangements to the tape mixes to the eq's and the distortion pedals. On a level with zappa I'd say in defining his own sound. That's why if you introduce it to someone who's never heard it they can react with quite a shock!
scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 21-6-2008 at 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by polydigm
Whatever contrasts I draw between Zappa's music and the rest, I still find much of Led Zeppelin's music a cut above.

I agree. Led Zep was the first band/artist that I really got into. The first album I ever bought was the soundtrack to the Song Remains The Same.

They were really a band of absolute motherfuckers of their instruments. They were all brilliant, and real dynamo performers live (except for John Paul Jones, but he stilled played good). They also had a huge range, from the bone crunching blues based riffs (like Heartbreaker), to real authentic blues, to really beautiful folk music.

A couple of things that turn me off them though are Plant's often orgiastic vocals and the long and totally self-indulgent guitar and drum solos. Actually the drum solos were what I first listened to LZ for because it was straight after I started learning drums.

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 21-6-2008 at 17:09

Quote:
Originally posted by punknaynowned
Jimmy Page's production values [for once as far as producers go] did an unparalelled job and made their sound the benchmark for rock in the '70's (and a lot of the '80's too if you think about it). He built that sound from the arrangements to the tape mixes to the eq's and the distortion pedals. On a level with zappa I'd say in defining his own sound. That's why if you introduce it to someone who's never heard it they can react with quite a shock!

I remember reading an interview with Jimmy that was done in the mid seventies with a guitar magazine. The interviewer kept asking him what guitars and amps he was using on different songs to get the unique sounds. Almost every single time the reply was: "Just the same amp and the same Les Paul. I just experimented with the mic positions." He really made the most of everything and I think he was like FZ in how meticulous he was in the studio about sound.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 22-6-2008 at 16:16

scallopino
Frank Zappa Status

[*] posted on 23-6-2008 at 13:37

Aqua, you must have the world's best collection of excellent album covers. Or maybe they just look cool as pictures on here.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-6-2008 at 14:10

I don't know many people who'd admit they have a 2 Unlimited CD... ;) You must've raided the local CD-store!

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 23-6-2008 at 18:17

it's actually a Pin-up went down cd, it has nothing to do with: " nono, nono nono, there's no limits", it's actually a duet by some friends of mine who play a "metal, disco and other things" mix.

about the covers, I must admit I sometimes buy an album because I like the cover a lot, hoping the music will be as good as the picture.

BBP
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-6-2008 at 20:16

Me too... I'll admit that was the case with Panzer Division Marduk. And I bought a Gojira album for the band name. And a Dog Fashion Disco album for a review.

Fortunately I regret neither.

aquagoat
King Kong Status

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 19:09

Panzer division is a cool album full of energy, really like it, Gojira's albums are great too, especially The link.

Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  50

Go To Top